Has Anyone's Dog Ever Eaten Ratsak?

My friend's dog ate some Ratsak over the weekend. She's been to the vet and was put on Vit K [iV and tablets], but she asked me to ask on here if anyone else's dog has eaten it. She hopes they got her treated in time, but she's worrying that the reaction may not happen straight away.

That's sad :( What 'reaction' is she worried about? The reaction of the ratsak, or the Vit. K?

I think , provided she keeps the dog "wrapped in cotton wool" during treatment (to avoid bruising/injury) , has regular blood tests to make sure teh vit.K is working , then her dog has all the support she can give .

Thanks Ruthless for asking on my behalf. It is our little maltese x tibetan spaniel which ate the (we think 2) packets of Ratsak bait on the weekend. They had been down for several months and she had never touched them - must have been bored (she had to climb on a shelf and get behind a box to reach them).

We took her to the vet straight away, she hasn't had any sign of adverse affects so far, but what I am wondering is - even though she has had immediate on ongoing treatment - will she still be poisoned, or will she be okay? The not knowing is awful and I'm not sure if she is going to suddenly start bleeding? The vet won't say, which is understandable I guess.

She is a lovely little girl and I feel terrible that I didn't protect her better! And thanks peresphone, we have wrapped her in cotton wool (well she's got a huge comfy bed in a quiet place and lots of love and water).. we're doing all the right things.. I just need some reassurance she will be ok...

Has anyone else had experience with Ratsak poisoning and its treatment?

One of my girls nearly died after eating rat bait a couple of years ago. She spent a night in the emergency clinic having blood and plasma transfusions, then spent 6 weeks on Vitamin K.

Given that your girl was caught very early and treatment commenced immediately, her prognosis should be pretty good.

we lost a cocker in the kennels as she was dropped off and we werent informed of the possible eating ratbait issue :S and sadly we lost her after a week i was absolutly devestated... she was my fav client and i could not believe they didnt take her ot the vet to be sure or anything just assumed after 24hrs she was ok so all was good.. :(

though i have known a few to survive... pumped with vitk and cotton wool as mentioned... they die due to hemmoraging (sp??) so litterly nothing can touch this dog no playing with other animals or too much physical exercise etc... fingers and toes crossed for u and ur baby!!

When I was 18 years old I lost a dog to ratsak. I was away from home that night. My Dad had left a box on an outside table, and she ate some and died before anyone noticed. Dad had to ring and tell me. We were both devastated.

My 2 dogs got into some here last year when my daughter left the shed door open. She found them immediately. I rushed home from work and we had them at the vet within 15 mins. Vet induced vomiting, gave them vitamin K and both dogs were fine thank goodness (and obviously we rearranged the shed to make sure anything poisonous was no longer in reach).

I think if your friend's dog got to the vet quickly, and there are no obvious symptoms, their chances are good.

I have seen many dogs eat Ratsak over the years.

If your dog was noticed straight away, taken to the vet, vomited and was started on Vit K then she should be fine.

We have treated some that had noses running blood, bleeding into brains etc as it was not known until these signs occured that they had eaten any. Took quite a lot of money, very full on treatment and a little bit of luck and they also survived.

I have seen many dogs eat Ratsak over the years.

If your dog was noticed straight away, taken to the vet, vomited and was started on Vit K then she should be fine.

We have treated some that had noses running blood, bleeding into brains etc as it was not known until these signs occured that they had eaten any. Took quite a lot of money, very full on treatment and a little bit of luck and they also survived.

The vet didn't get her to vomit as we thought it had probably been more than a couple of hours. Will there be effects (ie bleeding) even though she was put on vit K? Or should she not bleed at all because we caught it before any bleeding has started?

I am suprised the vet didn't get her to vomit, it is usally the first thing they do even if it is hours later.

It really depends on the dose they ahve eaten. Generally they are okay as long as they are kept very quiet, but occassionally if they have eaten a decent sized dose Vit K alone is not quite enough.

Best bet keep her VERY quiet, check the colour of her gums regularly, keep an eye out for behavioral changes abd fatigue

Ok, thanks. Will do, she seems good so far. Her poo had been Ratsak green though so we know she ate it definitely now (as I was still hoping i was mistaken). Poo back to normal now and I follow her around each morning and night and catch her wee - no blood. Gums were a bit pale this morning, will see how she is tonight. Partner says she is happy as normal, it's hard keeping her quiet but we're doing our best (she's on a short lead tied up to her bed in the lounge for a few hours each night, and in the laundry all the other times).

thanks for all your support, it really helps (I keep getting a panicky feeling)

Glad she's ok so far - but sorry you didn't get her to the vet in time for her to vomit it up again . I bet she's enjoying all the extra attention these days :) Fingers crossed she will be ok. The waiting is just dreadful.

:hug:

ermmm - if she will settle on a chair with you.. or just follow you 'round the house .. it may be better for her to do that - as I would be concerned of her leaning/pulling on a collar and bruises/bleeding happening around her neck?

also - if she is relaxed in the laundry, then that's great- BUT if she jumps at the door/tries to dig under it .. there may be a problem ....

Kate was about 12 - 14 weeks,we were at Mums and mum says - its okay if she eats a bit of the ratsak, isn't it. It was only a pellet......

Fortunately, the vet surgery was just around the corner. Vomiting induced, charcol given, and vit K injection and medication - no known side effects.

The pigeon carcass (much decayed) some weeks later caused more problems.

One of my favourite dogs that I sometimes see on the way to work got into the ratbait at Xmass - survived,but her hindlegs have not been as good since, apparently. She is getting on in years, so I don't know if it was the ratbait or just co-incidence and normal aging.

ChristineX

I wish she could just sit next to us! She can't sit still when she's near us; wiggles with delight, jumps up, jumps down, lunges in for kisses..

So it's either the laundry where she doesn't jump at the door, but does cry, or tied to her mat in the lounge where she sits quietly and stares at us with big reproachful eyes. She is not pulling on the collar, because that was my concern too. When it's meal time we let her off as she's happy to follow us as we prepare her dinner. But then we have to confine her otherwise she off to the bedrooms for some nest making, jumping around and running up and down the hall. I guess at least we know she's not lethargic!

Everyday that passes I get more hopeful, fingers crossed it's not premature.

Crossing everything for you kimboisin. Just keep a close eye on her gums and get her to the vet asap if she gets too pale. Bonnie (dog in the link) went through a rough couple weeks after eating ratsak but she made it through and was back to 100% after alot of TLC, it was 3 or 4days before she was treated with VitK injection/pills. Massive healing vibes coming your way :grouphug:

ps. Please ignore my signature, she passed away from completly unrelated complications.

Thank you so much Julzjc! It's so good to hear there's light at the end of the tunnel... it's a very scary time. At least I have learnt a very valuable lesson, will be trapping the rats from now on, no more poisons in our house! And thankyou for explaining the signature, I read your thread and freaked out when i saw the sig!

x

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys,

I have a French Bulldog puppy (10 weeks old). Yesterday I found a box of Ratsak outside near the bbq which my father inlaw had placed behind the bbq without my knowledge. Some of it had been eaten by my puppy. He may of only eaten it yesterday between 1 and 4pm but there is a chance he could of been snacking on it all week from behind the bbq. Yesterday he had obviously dragged it out from under the bbq and thats how i had noticed it. I was pretty angry to find out that my father in law had used ratsak anyway as we also have small kids.

Anyway, I took Blackjack to the vet straight away where vomiting was induced and he is now given Vitamin K as a treatment. In previous posts i have read as well as some websites people are saying that if you seek medical help "IN TIME" then he should be ok. How much time do we have? If my pup had been eating it for the past week is that too late? He has shown no symptoms at all. No vomiting, bleeding in stools or anything. I am just trying to work out the worse case scenario.

Im pretty upset as this pup has replaced my Australian bulldog who passed away recently with constipation and I would be so devastated if something happened to Blackjack so soon.