Dog Friendly Weed Killer

I use boiling water on my gravel and paved areas :thumbsup:

Does that kill the weeds?

Yep - very effectively :) I pour about 1/4 of a kettle's worth. Not very quick - but if it's difficult to do by hand, a good alternatively that is poison free.

Im with stonecutter on this. I use boiling water as well. It is quite a slow process as you have to keep waiting for the kettle to boil (if you have lots of weeds) but it kills them almost instantly, and very dog friendly provided they dont get near you while you are pouring. :)

Glycosulphate is fine once its dry..

I use it all the time.

I have to use a product like this because the area is so large.

I find it is the most effective way to keep the weeks under control in and around the fences.

Never had a problem with dogs and I sprayed about two days ago.

The only other suggestion I have is to spray with petrol, now that stops weeds in their tracks.

Used Round Up for years. No problem. Phoned customer info & had a chat with them when I first thought about using it for a large area. Safe as it is I don't use it for the time I have pregnant girls or pups that have to go in that area. Hand weed for that period, which is a pain. Overall it is pretty safe though. Just being phobic.

We use Weed N Feed, safe for pets once dry, however like any poison it still shouldn't be ingested so if you have a grass chewer the natural alternatives would be the better option (boiling water, soap etc).

Round Up (Glysophate) is fine as long as you let it dry. You can even get a "Frog Friendly" Roundup now, so if it doesn't harm frogs then I don't see how it could harm your dog used to the directions & allowed to dry. I have a lot of little green frogs in my garden & I would rather use this than boiling water, or detergent or vinegar...ouch... :eek: When you think of all the other "dog friendly" chemicals we pump into our dogs, glysophate is nothing.

It's glyphosate ;)

I have one of the small flame throwers, not as exciting as first thought and quite time consuming to give anything bigger than small weeds a decent frying.

I have seen the big flame throwers advertised but they are $$$, would love to see the oxalis come back after a session with one of those suckers :eek:

• 3 weeks later...

I can't remember the name of the weed killer I used but I think it had glyphosate written on it. I just ended up spraying the weeds late at night while Boss was locked inside then plicked them out the next day and hosed everything down before letting him out.... paranoid freak I am considering I've possibly lost a dog to weed killer/rat poison or something.

Thanks everyone :)