Keeping Small Dog Warm In Winter

pomchi

I have a very small dog she weighs about 1.5kg and she lives and sleeps inside. She goes for a long walk everyday which she is extremely happy with (spinning in circles at the word walk) :D . we find at night even though she sleeps in a little bed in our room she seems very cold, she curls up in the tiniest ball and sometimes I notice her shaking. We prefer for her not too sleep in the bed (mostly so we dont accidentally roll over onto her in the middle of the night) but I feel terrible thinking she is freezing. :confused: .

Any ideas to keep the lil one warm? she also wears a jumper a winter

Hot water bottle!! I use this for my puppy I put it inside and old jumper the bottle says don't use hot water but I do and put a bit of cold water in it ( the water at our house just isn't hot enough)

Some ideas to keep pup warm:

- Get her PJs or make her wear a coat.

- There are heated pads you can get for her too.

- Hot water bottle or heated wheat sacks.

- Get her a sleepy bag :)

- Igloo beds helps too.

Agree with the hot water bottle and also get a polar fleece blanket. I picked one up from K-Mart for $3..absolute bargain. Just sleep with it for a few nights to get your scent on it and you dog will like it even more.

All of the above and if you need more this week there are really cheap electric warming beds around in the discount stores.

I use heat bags and I do have one of those disks you microwave but found them expensive and they don't hold heat for much longer than the cheapie weat bags..

I use the heated beds for kittens. They are cheap, lots of them in the discount stores now.

They dont feel very warm when you put your hand on them so they wouldn't overheat so I guess they are ok. Try one & see if she likes it.

I wouldn't use a hot water bottle to leave in. Apart from safety, what if she starts digging the bed, like they sometimes do & it bursts, they also get cold & left in there can actually cause your dog to be more cold than if it wasn't there.

Also if you can raise her bed off the floor, even a little it helps. It is several degrees colder on the ground. Small, low coffee table maybe ?

our froggy doggies ( the ones who hate the cold) sleep in jumpers

one sleeps on a couch so hes in a coat and has a doonah on top..he never shifts til daybreak lol

the others have long coats and are fine

now the little ones sleep together in a crate so the ones who feel the cold are in heaven...the furrier ones tend to go to the outside edges of the crate but again seem to be fine...i put a woollen blanket inside on top of their regular foam mats and also cover the crate with a woollen blanket

in summer id have to get them separate crates i think..the heavycoated dogs would feel a little suffocated i think lol

id go for a heated pad if i were you...or get another warm doggy body

as for sharing a bed...i doubt youd roll on the dog unless you sleep very heavily

Re the heated pet beds. I took the heat pad out of one of my older cheapie ones. Plugged it in & left it sitting on a blanket on the table. Absolutely useless. It does not do anything. Barely warmer than when switched off, if I had my eyes closed I wouldn't have known the difference. Going to place the thermometer on top of it today to test it just out of interest.

i've got my new JRT pup in a crate at night with a small 7 fin oil heater ($39 from bunnings) next to it and a big blanket folded up a few times covering the crate and heater up together to keep the heat in. i've got the thermostat on around 3 (it goes up to 7) and that seems to keep it nice and warm in there! i do this for him in the morning when i go to work too. no chance of him chewing on it, and he can't get to the cord! no chance of the blanket catching on fire, oil heaters don't get hot enough to ignite cotton/wool but might melt a polyester blanket.