Puppies Down In Pasterns - Any Advice?

I have just taken in two large breed puppies in fairly crappy condition. One is much bigger and has more weight on him, but he is very down in the pasterns. The smaller one is just skin and bones - really disgusting. :( Any advice on what to feed them to help improve his legs and get the weight on her?

Edited by Kirty

I friend of my had a Lab a few years back that was down in her pasterns, although the pup was in good condition and receiving a good diet , she was diagnosed with a calcium deficiency for some reason her body just wasn't absorbing the calcium but after a few weeks of added calcium a her pasterns returned to normal and never had any other problems.

i would start with giving him a good balanced diet with plenty of raw meaty bone.

Thanks guys. :) They are supposed to be Dobe x but they look like they have a few breeds in there. The bigger one is a solid boned pup, the tiny one is very fine boned. I'd guess they are about 9-10 weeks old? I have started them on a premium puppy food and will get some frames tomorrow. :)

Ester C - many dane people use this when they start to go down in the pasterns when teething. Get it from the chemist - either in powder or tablet form and add to their food. Don't use Vit C tablets.

I'd be trying that in the first instance.

In the absence of a vet diagnosis, I would not give calcium supplements to a large breed dog. A super premium food should have sufficient in it.

Edited by Danois

Could it be that the pup isn't getting enough calicum in their diet?

Sometimes during teething this can happen.

Ester C can help with the absorbtion of Calcium.

So perhaps a good quality diet and some Ester C?

Also sardines, great source of calcium and won't bung them up like too many bones can, used in conjunction with Ester C. Also, working them or playing with them on a harder surface, like bitumen, instead of grass, can help.

Be very careful with supplementing large breed pups with extra calcium unless you want to end up with orthopaedic problems like OCD later on. Too much Ca is just as dangerous as too little, and it's easy to go overboard in giant or large breed dogs.

Be very careful with supplementing large breed pups with extra calcium unless you want to end up with orthopaedic problems like OCD later on. Too much Ca is just as dangerous as too little, and it's easy to go overboard in giant or large breed dogs.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I would imagine it is as a result of a totally inappropriate diet.

Feed them a good quality puppy food and lots of raw bones and I am quite sure you will see an improvement quickly. Oh and exercise on grass and grippy surfaces. They may have either been locked in a very small area or confined to say very flat cement floor???

Have you got photos?

Edited by OSoSwift

I will try and get some photos of his legs tomorrow. They have been in a pound for at least 8 days, so that would have been a concrete floor. Prior to that, they were abandoned when someone moved out of a rental property - so I have no doubt their diet up until now has been crap. The little boy eats like a horse but the girl is so bloody picky! You'd think in her state she would be grateful for any food she gets... Naughty girl!

the girl is so bloody picky! You'd think in her state she would be grateful for any food she gets... Naughty girl!

She may have a reason for looking the way she does, Kirty... some health problem /ginormous worm burden .. inability to digest /mouth/teeth/palate problem.....

Some quick, crappy photos. The boy:

IMG_0438.jpg

Check out the worm belly!!!

IMG_0435.jpg

The girl:

IMG_0433-1.jpg

I seriously think you can rule out dobermann as a breed - dobermann structure is just not apparent. Is the girl docked or bobtailed ??? or is her tail tucked under her belly. I would be thinking maybe Aussie / Border. They do not seem to be a larger breed at any rate, so I would not be over concerned with the pasterns at the moment - just concentrate on getting them settled, cleaned up health wise and eating a good diet. They will come together as this all falls into place.

Poor babies :( .

I agree with the vitamin c. My Gordon started to go down in pasterns and her feet started to splay when she was 4 months. Spoke with a few breeders in what I could do and they recommended river pebbles for her to run on to help tighten the feet and vitamin c tablets. What they dont need they apparently wee out.

The girl has her tail tucked under. Her face is a bit Dobe like - they are definitely not Aussie or BC. I think they have a dozen breeds in them though. I don't think they are going to be massive, but they will be at least Lab size if not bigger.