Temperoary Care For Old Kelpie And A Cat Needed

It's about $700 according to my calculator for the month, and $160 per week. I'll pledge $80 to start and undertake to gather contributions and pay them to the kennel. Please post here or PM me if you want to help.

(If this group contribution thing doesn't get off the ground I'll proceed with my offer of foster care.)

I'll follow your sensible suggestion of trying to support the pair where they already are & will pay a week's board directly to the kennels ($160).

I hope they'll still look around for a possible 2nd best...generous offer of local foster-care.

Glad, too, you've given a worst-case scenario of offering foster-care in Sydney.

LATER: Done.

Edited by mita

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this dog is an assistance dog someone should definately be helping pay for boarding

I looked up the jail website and found this (my bolding)so wonder if there may be some way he can have the dog "inside"

though it doesn't help the cat. Wonder if he's getting any help from Centrelink?

The Junee Correctional Centre takes pride in its close relationship with the community and assists in a number of activities and events in the township.

Community services provided by inmates include the maintenance of many streetscapes and grounds in town as well as the bowling club, churches, aged care facilities and community facilities such as scout halls and football clubs.

Through the ‘Wheels on Meals’ program, the centre provides meals to elderly members of the local community. Junee also supports Assistance Dogs Australia by participating in the ‘Pups in Prison’ program that sets the foundations for the dogs to progress to advance training.

Prisoners are also offered pre-release programs that provide practical information and assistance with employment, community housing, Centrelink and other welfare services.

• 4 weeks later...

Just thought I'd bump this up again as I know that Karen and Max at Fernleigh would be very grateful of any more donations to cover the boarding for these two. They're happy to give a tax deductible receipt. At present it looks like they'll be there until middle of september. All contributions gratefully received...........

Have paid for two weeks boarding for both of them on Monday but they still need some more help until they can be re-united with their owner.

Anyone else able to chip in a few dollars? Every bit helps these guys who are down on their luck at the moment but thankfully the end is in sight.

Anyone else able to chip in a few dollars? Every bit helps these guys who are down on their luck at the moment but thankfully the end is in sight.

Yes, I'll add something more on to my original donation.

I can't speak more highly of those folk who run the kennels.

Yes, I'll add something more on to my original donation.

I can't speak more highly of those folk who run the kennels.

I agree Fernleigh Rd Kennels are GREAT!! They do so much for rescue. I saw them at 6am yesterday meeting pets2u with animals n then yesterday afternoon dropping and picking up animals from vets. Going today to take some photos for AWDRI so might check in on these two.

Karen and Max say to send a big :thanks: for all dollars donated so far.

It was a pleasure to donate direct to these people who are genuinely doing the right thing by a couple of well-loved & well-cared for pets.

• 2 weeks later...

Turns out these two (older kelpie and a cat ) will be in kennels longer than first though. Apparently until at least November now.

This man only earns $2 per day so its pretty obvious why he cant pay kenneling fees.

The two pets are all this man has so definately doesnt want to give them up.

The cat recently had vet treatment who kindly know this mans circumstances and donated their time and drugs.

Karen and Max at the kennels accept that these two will be there until they can be re-united with their owner....but if there's any more contributions that can help them out until that time they will be very grateful .

I can only repeat what genuine people Karen & Max are, when I contacted them to make donations. It was good to know that the money went directly to help 2 loved, well-cared for pets who are the victims of circumstance. But who'll survive thanks to the folk who've gone the long haul with them. Even small donations would add up to helping.

Not sure how I have missed this thread before. I agree that Karen and Max at Fernleigh are excellent people. They have genuine affection for all the animals in their care. I see them every couple of weeks when picking up Wagga pound dogs that they temporarily board for Canberra rescue groups at rescue rates. Lovely people.

I'll ring Karen first thing tomorrow with my donation.

Just thought I'd bump this up again as I know that Karen and Max at Fernleigh would be very grateful of any more donations to cover the boarding for these two. They're happy to give a tax deductible receipt. At present it looks like they'll be there until middle of september. All contributions gratefully received...........

I've made my dognation (for which Karen was very grateful) but I do need to clarify that donations are not tax deductible as Fernleigh is a boarding kennel, not a registered charity.