Temperoary Care For Old Kelpie And A Cat Needed

I am posting for a friend so only know the retold story for further details please contact Julie on 0427419122.

She has been contacted by a Sister (nun) as an inmate at Junee (near Wagga) Jail has been boarding his 2 animals and now ran out of money for longterm care and needs somewhere for them to go urgently and they will need care until around september. He has a sick, dying mother and is not all there intellectually. He is in for driving with a suspended license.

Hopeing the church can pay for some more boarding or some food if he goes someone.

I have seen posts like this before so just wanted to know which groups organisations help out with these kinds of situations.

Obviously rescues may not be able to help due to rescuing other very urgent deserving animals and all rescources need to go to them.

But if anyone can help or know of a group please contact Julie or reply here and I can pass the msg along.

Thanks

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These two were in W Wyalong for a couple of months, then Fernleigh kennels were kind enough to give reduced rate as he doesnt want to lose them. I think at the time Julie said because they were in the pound she didnt think they'd be able to help. He has relatives in Qld that may help but the cost of getting them there would be too much.

September isnt too far off now...fingers crossed that someone local can help. They had been well looked after before his arrest and he didnt want to surrender them...he obviously cares a lot and hated the thought of losing them. :crossfingers: someone can help.

Is this the Fernleigh Kennels? I agree with the person who said it's not all that long until September. Even buying them a bit more time until fostering can be found locally.

Is there an email address for any offers/info.

(Thinks to self, I wonder if the nun could ask the local catholic churches for the need to be announced in their newsletters & noticeboards.)

http://www.dogcatboarding.com.au/contact.asp

Edited by mita

I have just spoken to the lovely lady at the kennels and she has told me it is $22.80 per day for the two of them. She said it was fine to put the amount up on here.

If anyone wants to help she said you can call and pay over the phone by credit card or would people rather try to get them to QLD, I must say it sounds like they are being well looked after but the cat isn't very happy. (Typical kitty very ungrateful)

Melissa

Thanks for your help everything. And Nina thanks for the photos.

I could possibly find care for the cat(after speaking to the nun, etc. I have been burnt in the past!)

Would be great if we can speak to the church/nun and maybe get some donations.

I will give Julie a call tomoz and see if they have spoken to her.

Sad situation as he obviously wants to keep them.

I have just spoken to the lovely lady at the kennels and she has told me it is $22.80 per day for the two of them. She said it was fine to put the amount up on here.

If anyone wants to help she said you can call and pay over the phone by credit card or would people rather try to get them to QLD, I must say it sounds like they are being well looked after but the cat isn't very happy. (Typical kitty very ungrateful)

Melissa

Thank you, Melissa, for phoning up & getting some information about what can be done in the immediate situation.

Some extra time in the kennels, via donations, might give more time to find someone willing to provide fostercare.

And/or if efowler (thanks to you, too) can talk to the nun & get firmer information about the options.

Also the nun might be in a position to use catholic networking in Wagga to ask for offers of fostercare. I notice they've got a Micah place down there.

That lovely kelpie looks like a very sweet temporary guest. Nice puss, too.

Edited by mita

OK, so I can't tell if the dog and cat are going to stay where they are til September of go to foster care. If I can help financially, whether its transport to a foster carer or to pay for continued shelter and safety, please contact me by PM. I don't want this guy to lose his pets or the pets to lose their owner and I'll do what I can from Melbourne.

I can definitely look after the kelpie at my home in Sydney until the end of September. That's no problem at all. The only issue is that she looks so much like my boy Danny that I'll have to lift them up to know which is which. (Can't help with the ungrateful kitty, though.) A daily walk, an off-leash bush run, training session, dog park visit, tasty meals, treats and a heated indoor den are part of the deal.

However, I have a feeling that the best thing for the dog's mind and soul would be to stay in the kennel until her owner can take responsibility for her, and the second-best thing would be a local foster. She's moved around a bit and needs stability. So before I go ahead and talk to Julie I'll canvass this: can we collectively stump up enough to pay for another month's boarding for the pair, pending a local solution?

It's about $700 according to my calculator for the month, and $160 per week. I'll pledge $80 to start and undertake to gather contributions and pay them to the kennel. Please post here or PM me if you want to help.

(If this group contribution thing doesn't get off the ground I'll proceed with my offer of foster care.)

I can definitely look after the kelpie at my home in Sydney until the end of September. That's no problem at all. The only issue is that she looks so much like my boy Danny that I'll have to lift them up to know which is which. (Can't help with the ungrateful kitty, though.) A daily walk, an off-leash bush run, training session, dog park visit, tasty meals, treats and a heated indoor den are part of the deal.

However, I have a feeling that the best thing for the dog's mind and soul would be to stay in the kennel until her owner can take responsibility for her, and the second-best thing would be a local foster. She's moved around a bit and needs stability. So before I go ahead and talk to Julie I'll canvass this: can we collectively stump up enough to pay for another month's boarding for the pair, pending a local solution?

It's about $700 according to my calculator for the month, and $160 per week. I'll pledge $80 to start and undertake to gather contributions and pay them to the kennel. Please post here or PM me if you want to help.

(If this group contribution thing doesn't get off the ground I'll proceed with my offer of foster care.)

Thats is a great offer!!! I will call Julie tomorrow and hopefully speak to the nun and see what we can work out.

Sorry havent replied sooner have been away in Sydney for the weekend.

I think to make things a little clearer..these two should probably stay where they are until september and any kind people who want to make a donation can ring Karen at Fernleigh direct to help this guy out.

The kennel has received nothing at all from the church group involved or anyone else for that matter and as this dog is an assistance dog someone should definately be helping pay for boarding (just not sure who :confused: )

Kennels are happy to help any way they can.....great people! :D

I think to make things a little clearer..these two should probably stay where they are until september and any kind people who want to make a donation can ring Karen at Fernleigh direct to help this guy out.

Kennels are happy to help any way they can.....great people! :D

Done and they will issue you a receipt for your donation. :)

I agree with you Nina, and I know nothing more than what I've read here, but there is no certainty that the problem will be over come 1 September. With a release date some time in September (apparently) it may be October at least before the owner has a home he can bring his pets to. The kennel bill could run well over $1,000 in that time—that's why I thought (for the kennel's sake) some sort of coordinated fundraising would have been better than ad hoc single donations.

I'll make a payment direct to the kennel and trust that the appropriate decision-makers keep the expenses under control.