Temperoary Care For Old Kelpie And A Cat Needed

Have just found this old thread to bump back up again........

Apparently the old kelpie (Kip, about 6-7 years I think ) and also the cat are still in Fernleigh !!!

The owner came out of jail before xmas and used to go to the kennels to see his animals and take Kip for a walk, but he was having a hard time finding a house that would let him keep his pets . He still didnt pay towards their keep at all but Karen agreed to hold them while he found accomodation.

They are still there and owner has ended up in jail again. Costs for these two are around $3000 of which there have been kind donations of around $1500...for which Max and Karen are very grateful.

They cant rehome them unless the owner surrenders them so I think someone from the authorities are going to see him in the jail next week.

These two have been kept in kennels for far too long now so fingers crossed the owner does the right thing and lets them both go to rescue where hopefully they will be able to be in a home again before too long.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is just so sad for all concerned.

Totally off topic of course, but I have to have a rant at "the system" that has created a revolving door in and out of prison for the intellectually impaired.

What an amazing couple Max and Karen are.

What a shame they couldn't be supported to give work to someone like the owner of the dog and cat - so sad that they are separated again. There are government programs which do this.

Edited by Danny's Darling

They are indeed. Lovely people when I've spoken to them on the phone. Here's hoping the owner can be persuaded that it's best for the pets to be rehomed.

I'll watch this thread to see if there's anything further to help Max and Karen help the 2 pets.

Actually brother and sister team! :)

But great people and do a wonderful job!

They are indeed. Lovely people when I've spoken to them on the phone. Here's hoping the owner can be persuaded that it's best for the pets to be rehomed.

I'll watch this thread to see if there's anything further to help Max and Karen help the 2 pets.

When were they abandoned, I missed that part. I too have been to Junee Correctional facility years ago for driving offences, They only real help you get from them is in your last week to put your centrelink in place, organise accommodation if lucky and get sufficient ID. This guy will be doing it as hard as hell in there dying to know what is going to happen to his beloved pets. Apart from his mother these pets may be all he has. I would love to foster them but as I am on the limit of 3 cats and 4 dogs I can not help, financially my animals cost me $140 per week plus vet costs, so I can not help financially either. In saying this I do have a phone plan that allows for unlimited calls until the 9th of this month so if we are set on finding foster homes if someone wants to compile a list for me to work with I will work on the phone for the next three days to try and resolve something.

Hope this helps. There was also a lady who was willing to foster, maybe we should fund raise for transport ?

When were they abandoned, I missed that part.

They've been left at kennels for months. The kennel owners haven't had their costs covered, the owner is back in jail again and hasn't contributed a cent (because he can't afford to). The kennel owners, who have been carrying the pets all this time even feel it's in the best interest of the animals to find them a loving home. I really do feel for the guy but everyone else had pulled their weight but him. Why should a business, being taken advantage of, have to carry the costs?