Crate Dilemma - Should I Get Another?

Aztec Gold

So I'm not afraid to admit it... I'm a penny hoarder. I hate parting with money. I'm also INCREDIBLY indecisive, to the point I drive everyone nuts. I have been known to spend 35 minutes in the supermarket trying to decide between getting peppermint chocolate, or coconut rough chocolate, and it took me over a month to decide between a black labrador or a golden retriever!! So many sleepless nights!!

The dilemma is, we live in a split level house, where the bedrooms/bathroom/toilet are all down 5 stairs from the rest of the house. The bedroom where our crate will be is literally at the other end of the house from the loungeroom, and as it's a 42" crate, with a metal tray, I don't imagine my partner or myself to want to bring it to the loungeroom every morning.

But, I don't want to have to part with another roughly $70 just to get another crate for the loungeroom.

Is there anything else to use that sort of does the same thing? Eventually, when he grows, I want him to sleep on a normal trampoline type bed next to ours of a night, so I'm so confused :-/

Any help would be soooooo appreciated!

(Please don't attack my penny pinching ways, or my indecisiveness!!)

only a month..... lol... when I was looking at getting a different breed to goldens.... it took me about 18 months to decide, then at the last minute I went with a LH Wei... it was a dalmatian up to that point!!!!

And yes... get another crate... OR you could make a puppy pen out of bunnings compost bin's... the metal/wire ones.... you will need another bed of some sort in there though.... how long are you going to let the little tyke sleep up in your room with you.... and then where are you going to have him sleep after that? If he won't be upstairs for long with you, then lug it round, or by a smaller/cheaper one for the bedroom and then donate it to rescue once he outgrows.... or keep it for the next puppy :D

Our closest bunnings is an hour and a half away! Though I might look into it anyway! We plan on having him sleep in our room for as long as he wants to, but would prefer him on a trampoline bed next to our bed once he is a bit older and house trained. And then we would have the crate in the lounge room I guess. Argh, so confusing!

Thank you for replying! I really appreciate it!

He's our first dog together, and my very own first dog and first ever puppy. I've never even held a puppy of any type before, so it's very very new to me! We're only young-ish, I'm 23 and my partner is 22. He grew up with lots of dogs inside, and I grew up until 10 with the occasional outside only dog, permanently leashed onto a run thing. My parents aren't dog people :-/

So yes, everything is very new to me and I get so excited and confused with everything!

Thank you!

Is there a bunnings on your way to the breeders? could pick up one on the way there? Call and ask if they have any in stock though.

Or you could check out some of the crates/pens on here:

http://www.topbuy.com.au/tbcart/product/Carries-and-Houses-c161.htm

If he's in there supervised (as in the lounge room) I'm sure he'd be fine, Henry sleeps in a soft crate every night, had a few days of trying to chew the metal braces but other than that he's never tried to destroy the crate..... he's such a good boy.

I've had a few puppies that I've crate trained now. My bedroom is right off the loungeroom. I have a crate in my bedroom and when the pups are little, have another crate in the loungeroom, only a few feet apart. No way was I lugging a metal crate around the house. I would still use a proper metal crate over a Bunnings one for young dogs. Crates fold up and are easy to store in the shed.

Yes. Large crates are a major PITA to lug from room to room on a daily basis. They don't fit through doorways to well either.

Personally I don't think $70 is much to spend at all considering the grief it will save you. Actually, $70 is damn cheap! I won't tell you what my c-crates cost me.:o

A spare crate can always be resold or donated if you find you don't need it later on. A puppy pen is another option.

Do you need a crate in the loungeroom? Can't you just put pup into the bedroom crate when you need him safely contained?

As we have two very young girls, the eldest of which is extremely busy and is on the go non stop (20 months), we thought it might be best to have somewhere in the loungeroom where the pup could retreat when tired, or just wants to rest.

Would it even be worth it do you think? So confused lol!

If it's only for when he's a puppy would a smaller size be better for the loung room?

I ended up using the hard plastic crates (starting with a small size then buying the larger one) when our girl was a pup. She is a lot smaller than a goldie though.

There may be one for sale in your local paper?

Guest HarperGD

We have a split level place too - our bedroom is downstairs and living room and everything else is upstairs.

We planned on getting 2 crates, but then decided to just wait it out and see if we needed to.

In the beginning we would bring his crate upstairs during the day but he would never go in it. He prefers to sleep on the couch or in one of the corners during the day :p

At night when we go downstairs to bed, he gets into his crate no problem and sleeps quietly until we get up. But I think he sees it more as a "night time" sleep spot and not a "day time" sleep spot.

So maybe you won't need 2? I would say see how you go when pup arrives and go from there...

(Then again, we don't have 2 small kids running around trying to pull his tail :p hehe)

(Then again, we don't have 2 small kids running around trying to pull his tail hehe)

LOL :laugh: Yes, that's the thing! One is nearly crawling and the other is flat out! Hmmm... What to do lol!! Thank you!!

Split level houses hey, you either love em or hate em!!