When To Desex Big Dogs

Daffanysmum

I have recently gotten a great Dane pup, and only want the best for my new 'child' , she won't be bread and will be desexed , as I dont support back yard breeding , I believe there's a general age of 6 months when puppies get desexed, but ive recently read that with Danes not to 18 months due to growing, what's ur opion on the matter and if u agree with 18 month and why and any tips to keeping other dogs away from her?

:)

We're getting a golden retriever pup soon, a boy one, and our breeder recommends not desexing him until 12 months, as it can play up with their growth and hormones. I was worried for a bit, as we live in an area where nearly every house has an outside only dog, and they tend to try and get in our yard. Only one dog has gotten in since we moved here early May, but I guess until he is desexed, we will have to supervise every outing in the yard with him!!

I tell my puppy people between 9-12 months of age, by this age they are already 80%+ of there pre-determined height.

Everyone will suggest a different age, contact your breeder and see when they suggest.

I have heard it's good to wait until they are fully grown - does anyone know if that's true and if it really makes that much difference? I think there was a study done that showed female dogs that were never desexed lived longer on average (something along those lines)...so it's definitely something to think about. I am also wondering about the age of desexing for my puppy, but she is at the opposite end of the scale (a chihuahua) so does that mean she could be done earlier than a larger dog?

We're getting a golden retriever pup soon, a boy one, and our breeder recommends not desexing him until 12 months, as it can play up with their growth and hormones. I was worried for a bit, as we live in an area where nearly every house has an outside only dog, and they tend to try and get in our yard. Only one dog has gotten in since we moved here early May, but I guess until he is desexed, we will have to supervise every outing in the yard with him!!

I would suggest you improve your fences so stray dogs can't get in :)

Having stray dogs come to visit isn't good and I appreciate that, but if you are concerned that something will happen because your dog is entire, you must have some really scary strays in in your neighbourhood because normal dogs don't attack puppies - which is all your dog will be in the eyes of other dogs until he is at LEAST 9 months old, probably more.

What does desexing have to do with it :confused: Genuine question...

If stray dogs are getting in your yard I wouldn't be allowing your dog out there unsupervised at all - whether he is desexed or not.

Your vet may advise you that getting a bitch desexed before her first season drastically reduces the risks of mammary cancers in the future.

Although I think it is important to take everything into consideration, your own feelings, your vet + your breeder.

If a female entire dog got in and she was in season isn't it possible he could get her pregnant? I'm probably completely wrong as this is my first dog and I'm used to cats lol!! I know cats can have kittens very early. Sorry, I must have sounded like a fruit cake!! I just want to do the right thing. The only place where dogs can get in, as it is a split level house with random levels of garden, is where the metal fence levels off near next doors wooden fence, as next doors front isn't fenced, the dog ran in their front, and over between where our fences meet. That makes no sense huh?! I will take a photo in a minute and put it up lol. We are in the process of getting something to hook up there like the other side of the house!

So after all that muddle, our pup should be safe around girl dogs until 12 months?

If a female entire dog got in and she was in season isn't it possible he could get her pregnant?

So after all that muddle, our pup should be safe around girl dogs until 12 months?

OK - now I understand what your worry is :) Don't worry about bitches in season appearing out of no where and molesting your young dog. Probably more likely he will get struck by lightning. And having him neutered won't automatically mean he won't take advantage of any lovely young lady that comes calling at the 'right' time anyway - just (obviously!) nothing will come of it.

Have checked out your fence thread & will answer there

EFS!

Edited by Sandra777

If a female entire dog got in and she was in season isn't it possible he could get her pregnant? I'm probably completely wrong as this is my first dog and I'm used to cats lol!! I know cats can have kittens very early. Sorry, I must have sounded like a fruit cake!! I just want to do the right thing. The only place where dogs can get in, as it is a split level house with random levels of garden, is where the metal fence levels off near next doors wooden fence, as next doors front isn't fenced, the dog ran in their front, and over between where our fences meet. That makes no sense huh?! I will take a photo in a minute and put it up lol. We are in the process of getting something to hook up there like the other side of the house!

You are correct in thinking he could get her pregnant. And its very responsible of you to be thinking about this in such a way. We had a small x breed bitch on heat break its way into our fenced property in the middle of the night to get to the boys... two entire giant breeds. She had slipped between the wrought iron post fencing.. a good effort on her behalf as she had a giant head.

Fortunately the boys sleep inside (24/7) and so she, and they, were safe. Its not a senario I thought I would ever have to deal with, but some bitches will do anything to get to the boys!

So yes, until your fencing is secure, keep and eye on your boy if he is entire and you will be doing the neighbourhood hussy's a favour :rofl:

If a female entire dog got in and she was in season isn't it possible he could get her pregnant? I'm probably completely wrong as this is my first dog and I'm used to cats lol!! I know cats can have kittens very early.

Yes he could, but if a female on heat is around there is just as much chance of him getting out to her as her getting in to him.;)

Sorry, I must have sounded like a fruit cake!! I just want to do the right thing. The only place where dogs can get in, as it is a split level house with random levels of garden, is where the metal fence levels off near next doors wooden fence, as next doors front isn't fenced, the dog ran in their front, and over between where our fences meet. That makes no sense huh?! I will take a photo in a minute and put it up lol. We are in the process of getting something to hook up there like the other side of the house!

LOL no, you don't sound like a fruitcake. But if you can fix the fences to prevent dogs getting in it would be a very good thing. For a multitude of reasons, not just bitches on heat.:)

Nope, boy dogs can knock up girl dogs well before they are 12 months.

Guest HarperGD

Sorry, just to butt in and interrupt - does desexing too early definitely stunt a dog's growth?

Or is that only in big breeds?

What about a mini poodle? Is 6 months too early??

Again, sorry to hijack...

Sorry, just to butt in and interrupt - does desexing too early definitely stunt a dog's growth?

Certainly hasn't been in my boy's case. He was desexed at 7 months of age and at 12 months now he's quite a big boy, much bigger than expected for his age. And is still growing quickly.

Certainly hasn't been in my boy's case. He was desexed at 7 months of age and at 12 months now he's quite a big boy, much bigger than expected for his age. And is still growing quickly.

Don't most people say that when you desex a dog earlier that they actually get bigger than they otherwise would be if they were entire?

Or at least lankier or something.

Don't most people say that when you desex a dog earlier that they actually get bigger than they otherwise would be if they were entire?

Or at least lankier or something.

I've heard theories for them being either smaller or bigger, so I'm not sure. He was always bigger than his age though, even before he was desexed, so it hasn't seemed to have any effect at all