How Long Would You Wait?

Paptacular!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a Siberian Husky who had 2 testicles when I selected him from the litter at 6 weeks. When I picked him up from the breeder at 8 weeks, I never even thought to check him again and it wasn't until I bathed him the next day that I found only one testicle. I could find the other one in the groin and sometimes manipulate it down to the inguinal ring, but it did not stay down.

We showed him until he was 6 months but kept training him and hoping. At 9 months, the other testicle came down and stayed down and we started showing him again a month later.

We had been told that giving him a zinc supplement would assist with this problem and I think that it did help.

However, if I had not known for sure that he had had 2 testicles down at 6 weeks, I think that I would not have bothered and would probably have desexed him.

But in the long run, I was glad that I was patient! :thumbsup:

Good luck with your puppy. :)

I know of dogs who have a little spell from the ring to allow for surgery to locate and bring down a testicle and once they have recovered - out they come. As for stud duties well it is only rumors so who really knows ;).

eta: personally if I was to learn that a dog required surgery to bring his nuts down I would walk away.

Edited by Andisa

I had a Siberian Husky who had 2 testicles when I selected him from the litter at 6 weeks. When I picked him up from the breeder at 8 weeks, I never even thought to check him again and it wasn't until I bathed him the next day that I found only one testicle. I could find the other one in the groin and sometimes manipulate it down to the inguinal ring, but it did not stay down.

We showed him until he was 6 months but kept training him and hoping. At 9 months, the other testicle came down and stayed down and we started showing him again a month later.

We had been told that giving him a zinc supplement would assist with this problem and I think that it did help.

However, if I had not known for sure that he had had 2 testicles down at 6 weeks, I think that I would not have bothered and would probably have desexed him.

But in the long run, I was glad that I was patient! :thumbsup:

Good luck with your puppy. :)

Miss Danni, can you explain more about the zinc supplement you mention please?

We are waiting for a missing testicle to show itself, Dexter is not a show dog

Bugga about him.. i too would only give 6 months max.. all my boys at 8 weeks of age had both down..

Just reminds me of a show i did they pulled up their trolley infront of me put the dog up on top of trolley n for about a good 5 mins they stood there n played with them (testies).. like really theres a time n place lol

Edited by TeamSnag

I know of dogs who have a little spell from the ring to allow for surgery to locate and bring down a testicle and once they have recovered - out they come. As for stud duties well it is only rumors so who really knows ;).

eta: personally if I was to learn that a dog required surgery to bring his nuts down I would walk away.

Sigh.. you hope people don't really do things like this. It's so dishonest, imagine if you unknowingly used a dog like this over your bitch in the hopes of getting a nice dog to keep, you may have problems there and have now bred an issue into your lines. :(

Sigh.. you hope people don't really do things like this. It's so dishonest, imagine if you unknowingly used a dog like this over your bitch in the hopes of getting a nice dog to keep, you may have problems there and have now bred an issue into your lines. :(

Rumors have to start from somewhere, but not all are just rumors. :(

If they were not both down at 6 to 8 weeks I wouldn't think that the 2nd one will come down. Do you know if both were ever down ?

I remember someone telling me that they were getting a dog an ultrasound to see if a missing testicle was still there - this dog did have both down at baby age though. At least I think it was ultrasound I havn't come across this with our dogs - both testes are normally dropped by 6 weeks with ours.

I have been told the story about a Great Dane who had a testicle implant due to one going missing - worked until a judge dismissed the dog due to having 3 testicles :rofl: - Woops.

My very first westie male at 5 1/2 months went Baby in Show with one the second did not come down until nearly 7 months and we considered re-homing him glad we didn't as he went on to be a multiple Best in Show winner and the Sire of many top winning dogs. We were advised by a dog ciro to gently massage the testicle into place several times a day and it worked. Good Luck with your boy.

I have heard on more than one occasion that teste issues run through the BITCH line. eg. the sister of a dog with them will probably produce the issue also.

Bad luck Mel. Thats what happened to Harvey. I didn't show him after 6 months old I just didn't see the point and didn't want to be nil awarded. I waited until Harvey was about 13 months old and it was evident that it was never coming down so had him desexed. When the vet desexed him she said it was so far up in his stomach there was never a hope in hell that it was ever down to start with, although the breeders told me that at 6 weeks old he had 2 testes descended!!! I am now just so anal about testes :D :D Our new baby Bullmastiff when he flew up that was the first thing I checked :laugh: He is now 3 months old and definately has 2 testes. I would hold onto him and wait and see but if you are like me by then I was so attached to Harvey I couldn't rehome him :cry: so he stayed!! Do what you think is best!!

Bad luck Mel. Thats what happened to Harvey. I didn't show him after 6 months old I just didn't see the point and didn't want to be nil awarded. I waited until Harvey was about 13 months old and it was evident that it was never coming down so had him desexed. When the vet desexed him she said it was so far up in his stomach there was never a hope in hell that it was ever down to start with, although the breeders told me that at 6 weeks old he had 2 testes descended!!! I am now just so anal about testes :D :D Our new baby Bullmastiff when he flew up that was the first thing I checked :laugh: He is now 3 months old and definately has 2 testes. I would hold onto him and wait and see but if you are like me by then I was so attached to Harvey I couldn't rehome him :cry: so he stayed!! Do what you think is best!!

:D :D :D New big footed baby!!

PICS REQUIRED STAT !!!!!!!!

;) Deys so cute when they're bubs. :love:

Haven't checked my notes, but (from memory) at a Pat Hastings seminar in Sydney a few years ago (not this year's seminar) she said that if the right testicle was not descended by 8 weeks it still *may* come down. However, if the left is not descended, it won't come down with time.

:laugh:

:D :D :D New big footed baby!!

Yes his debut is this weekend!!! Something for James to show he gets bored watching me run around the ring with the Cav's!!! He is looking a little ugly at the moment as he is going through the uglies :laugh: he has really long legs at the moment and his body is definately not in proportion with anything, but we will see how he goes!!!