Amazing German Shepherd Dogs Performance

I just found this video whilst chatting with my friend who worked as a Military Dog Handler.

Surprised I didn't see it earlier- my family watched a LOT of Military Tattoo's growing up.

According to my friend it's not all that difficult to train if you follow the steps--but boy it looks impressive put together :thumbsup:

According to my friend it's not all that difficult to train if you follow the steps--but boy it looks impressive put together :thumbsup:

I don't know why people say things like that, for some reason some people just have to suck the positvity out of things.

I don't know why people say things like that, for some reason some people just have to suck the positvity out of things.

I don't think that comment 'sucks the positivity' out of it. Most things are easy if you know how and dog training is no exception. The fact that it isn't difficult is more testament to how amazing dogs are. I've taught my Newf a lot of things and it blows me away at how quickly she learns new things. She's the first dog I've done more than basic obedience with so I've been learning how to teach the different things as we go.

Thanks for posting the link Brennan's mum. Whether difficult to train or not it is still impressive to watch.

Apart from the ladder and flaming bell, my Giant Schnauzer has done all the other things and they aren't difficult to train.

Like with HTM and dog dancing, it is how you put it all together that makes it more special.

It's all relative isn't it.

If you have a dog with good solid nerves & structure & you are an experienced trainer who has worked at building a strong reward system with your dog, then yes, I guess it's easiER than trying to achieve this without some or all of those elements.

For anyone who thinks it's easy for the average person & dog, go watch an agility trial & see what percentage of dogs actually move with that kind of drive & focus. And then reduce the number who do to factor in the environment, crowds, noises, fire etc.

Again, I thought it was very impressive.

Anyone know when it was filmed?

If you have a dog with good solid nerves & structure & you are an experienced trainer who has worked at building a strong reward system with your dog, then yes, I guess it's easiER than trying to achieve this without some or all of those elements.

For anyone who thinks it's easy for the average person & dog, go watch an agility trial & see what percentage of dogs actually move with that kind of drive & focus. And then reduce the number who do to factor in the environment, crowds, noises, fire etc.

Agreed Vickie - loved the drive and focus of these dogs!

It was from a '94 performance so seventeen years ago

I think it is a testament to how amazing dogs are, the work and training that both handler and dog put into their training.

Generally I look at dog training, particularly for sports and tricks as a puzzle; you have several small pieces which must be 'fitted correctly' in order to complete the puzzle and see the full picture. Simple analogy...works for me anyway ;)

I am hoping to tag along to the RAAF Family Day at the end of the year with my bestie and her family to see a demo from the local RAAF dog handlers. It's always interested me..partly because it often involves German Shepherds, and how impressive it looks. It's only since I got Brennan that I started to look into how they went about training each piece of the puzzle.

The person with the experience is a DOLer, and I was speaking to her out of some of my questions. I think the thing which really blew my mind more then anything was the dumbbell retrieve of the fire-lit dumbbell.

I thought it was a great effort too.

I am even more impressed by the structure of those dogs. More of the old style, agile sound types they had 17 years ago. Prob would have to alter that performance for the modern day shep.

Great looking dogs! Very impressive!

I'm with Vickie. I'd love to see the average pet owner attempt to train a dog to this level of skill. If you had a dog with weaker nerves it would be near impossible.

I agree with Vickie too - I've seen a shepherd demo team work with fire and it wasn't easy. They were clever dogs working to a fairly high level but they were refusing to go near the hoops on fire. As Vickie said -

"If you have a dog with good solid nerves & structure & you are an experienced trainer who has worked at building a strong reward system with your dog"

....... then it's easy :thumbsup: