Bats And Dogs

Kaffy Magee

I just heard one hell of a commotion outside, put it down to bats, then thought it could be cats fighting, better check it out. All the dogs are rushing around then they all rush into the dog pen. Its too dark to see anything so I drag all the dogs out and shut the door. Went and got a torch, not sure if Im going to find a cat or bat. Its a bloody big bat, now dead :eek: Im freaking now. What do I do?

If you want to get it tested then you would need to bag it (try not to touch it or scratch yourself) and then refridgerate it and take it to a vet tomorrow.

I'd just bin it but I can be a bit laid back and I've not had the stress you've had in the last few days.

Ive put it in a bag in the freezer. Big bat too. The last thing I need is diseased bats infecting my dogs with shit.... OH thinks I should get rid of the dogs, then Ill be able to relax,lol. Not gonna happen, but yes they stress me out :(

I just hope that there is never any problem with possum poo.

There's not much chance of my dog visiting our botanic gardens to try out bat poo.

Someone else quoted something that said the bat virus has to go through a horse first to infect a dog, so if you haven't got any horses - you're probably safe.

Calm down, calm down, :) dogs have been killing bats for years.

This is the first dog EVER found with Hendra. I have been led to believe that this is the first dog to have aquired the virus outside a laboratory

It is also believed that the dog caught it off a "host" in this case a horse.

Yes by all means have the bat checked.

Bats also carry the Lyssa Virus.

There is a vaccine for Lyssa virus and bat handlers are offered the vaccine or have been given it.

Life is full of risks and we have to manage them. Obviously from events this last month, dogs can can Hendra and bat poop is seen to be a source of risk/ infection. You can do what you can but unfortunately it is so. Hopefully, you can come to terms with it, protect your beloved dogs to the best of your ability, but be able to accept the unknowns and risk that may be there...

Hendra needs to develop via a horse so don't panic about droppings etc.

But Lyssavirus is a worry and I would be concerned about it if any of my dogs got bitten or scratched. The thing with Lyssa is that it affects bats, and one of the main symptoms is paralysis. So affected bats are more likely to be grounded and therefore come into contact with dogs.

The vaccine for Lyssavirus is the rabies vaccine (which consist of three shots for humans - I have had it ;) ) but not sure for dogs. You can order rabies vaccine through your vet if you have genuine concerns about Lyssavirus in your area. Or have a chat to them about it.

The treatment for a bite or scratch is serum injected into the wound - painful. And a course of serum injections. The course of treatment provides immunity like the vaccine.

Don't get bitten or scratched. The virus is rare but serious so not worth taking chances. If you refrigerate a dead bat don't obviously put it near your foodstuffs, and you will probably be asked to pay for any testing unless it's related to a human injury. Can be costly.

Edited by Alyosha

Thanks for all the info posted :)

I rang the vet this morning. I wasnt as concerned about Hendra, having heard they can only get it from horses (although do they really know thats the only way for a dog to get it?)but I new they got Lyssa virus aswell. They said it there would be a very very very small risk of the dog getting it, there has only been a handful of cases recorded in the country (?) apparently. The DPI will only test on a bat if it has actually bitten a human not a dog. They do have the rabies vaccine if I wanted to get it done and she said one dog had it done but it catches bats all the time. I feel this was a one off case with my dogs so I dont think Ill worry about it. Ive relaxed now :)

Ive put it in a bag in the freezer. Big bat too. The last thing I need is diseased bats infecting my dogs with shit.... OH thinks I should get rid of the dogs, then Ill be able to relax,lol. Not gonna happen, but yes they stress me out :(

Can totally relate to your thoughts here, Kaffy - Mr.Poodlemum knows that my boys are very important to me - even when they cause me stress I would not be without them.