Puppy Toilet Training

ldavid89

i have had my black labrador pup for 4 days now and she has automatically been goin to the toilet on the lino in my house (half the house is lino and half is carpet) which i am very pleased about, although i have got the the puppy training pads and put them in a 3X3 grid and sprayed the scent on them she still prefers the lino unless i do my best to keep her on them. Is there anything that i should put on the lino where i dont want her to go? eg wash the floor with anything in particular so she prefers the pads and speeds this process up? (will it be a good idea to leave her droppings etc on the pads so she associates this with where she should be goin)

Also she wakes me up every morning at 3am to take her to the lino so she can go toilet, obviously scared to go on her own.. any suggestions or advice?

We didn't use puppy pads so I can't help you there.

Are you sure you want her to toilet in the house? I'm not sure about labs but with Kelpies, when they get older they get pretty big poos and can wee up a storm so all the puppy pads in the world wouldn't help! If you want her to toilet outside in future, it might be best to start as you intend to continue i.e. take her outside after every meal and drink and at frequent intervals to a designated part of your yard to toilet.

If your pup only needs to wake up once in the night, I'd suggest that you take her outside for the 3am toilet break. Associate a cue word with toileting and praise her when she eliminates.

Edited by koalathebear

Well, yea I do hav a backyard, it's just she's only 8weeks old and the neighbours dog barking scares her, but yea I will look to start taking her outside.. I suppose she will get used to the barking.. Thanks guys

Well, yea I do hav a backyard, it's just she's only 8weeks old and the neighbours dog barking scares her, but yea I will look to start taking her outside.. I suppose she will get used to the barking.. Thanks guys

take her out in the backyard & play - eat treats .. sit with you .. and try to NOT pat her or fuss if she runs away at the noise , etc. Just let her gradually relax by chewing bones..chasing fluffy toys , etc. perhaps start feeding her out buy the back door ? :) just go about the normal stuff.... with her tagging along.

No I wouldn't do training pads either. We have a backyard but I take our puppy out the front for now. He's almost 9weeks and is doing great, only taken about 3 days to learn the routine. You will just have to train her twice otherwise. If you really want her to use to pads, your gonna have to catch her in the act and put her on them. Clean the area on the lino with vinegar that may help. Put the pad over the spot where she usually goes.

Jess

ok great, so i started feeding her outside last night and spent about an hour playing with her. everytime she hears a bark she goes to run inside, i shut the doors then acted like nothing happened, she continued playing but not as keen as she was scared. i think over time this will pass..

she slept inside with me again and elimated in the house. to do this peoperly ill need to keep her outside overnight? during the day i can take her out thats not a problem..

:thumbsup: for the outside play /feeding .It will get easier :)

Toilet training tip : little puppies cannot 'hang on' when they feel they have to go .. they GO .

it is YOUR responsibility to make sure your pup has access to a toileting area at least every hour or so during the day ..and a couple of times at night. Yes, you will have to wake up and take pup out ... but after a couple of weeks, this should ease up as puppy's system gains more control as it grows.

Toilet training only works if pup has access to inside/outside..and if the owner works hard to help puppy avoid mistakes inside. Lots of good stuff outside when toileting happens .. :)

leaving puppy ouitside for long periods doesn't really teach the message of "no toilet" inside ...as puppy is not inside to experience it ;)

Have a read thru these threads ...you will see most folks have problems , too.. they are all different situations ..and slightly different solutions :) ..but are all helping get to teh final result! Hoping you can find a few answers in here .

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

LINK

Edited by persephone

ok great, so i started feeding her outside last night and spent about an hour playing with her. everytime she hears a bark she goes to run inside, i shut the doors then acted like nothing happened, she continued playing but not as keen as she was scared. i think over time this will pass..

she slept inside with me again and elimated in the house. to do this peoperly ill need to keep her outside overnight? during the day i can take her out thats not a problem..

If you play her outside during the day, whenever she starts to 'get into position', then whisk her to your designated toileting spot and praise her when she goes.

As for night time, you don't have to leave her outside - just make sure you toilet her after every meal and drink. Then at bedtime, toilet her before bed, then take her out for toileting at regular intervals - sounds like she can hold on for about 3-4 hours at night? You just set your alarm clock, take her to Poo Corner and wait until she goes. The first few times, she will run around and try to play but eventually she'll realise that she doesn't go back inside again until she goes.

Yes that excellent, well i have been 100% consistent since last night and a great start so far, every time I see her sniffing around I walk towards the back door and she follows me, we go outside and I take her to where she's supposed to go within 30seconds she goes and I praise her heaps. I'm thinking of hanging a bell or something at the back door so she can make some noise wen she needs to go out. Or even just get a doggy door.

Yes that excellent, well i have been 100% consistent since last night and a great start so far, every time I see her sniffing around I walk towards the back door and she follows me, we go outside and I take her to where she's supposed to go within 30seconds she goes and I praise her heaps. I'm thinking of hanging a bell or something at the back door so she can make some noise wen she needs to go out. Or even just get a doggy door.

fantastic:thumbsup: My 9 mo BC rings the bell to go outside and I will be teaching my 8 wk old JRT to do the same. For now I just very closely watch her and everytime she goes to the door or shows signs , I take her out and by luck or whatever she has been eliminating so I praise praise praise. I use a crate and very close supervision when not in the crate :thumbsup: Its busy busy but Im hoping it will pay off in the end :thumbsup: