Getting A Puppy 101

Kati184

Hi all,

I am here to find out as much as I can for my Mum, who is wanting to get a little dog in the next couple of years. I apologize if some of these questions have been asked a 100 times before!

- Choosing a breeder. What are the things we should look for in a breeder? I have become aware of the dangers of pet shops and BYBs through the cat world and imagine there are similar risks in buying a puppy? Also Mum read that puppies should be brushed from an early age (i.e. while still with a breeder) so that they are used to it - do most breeders do this for breeds that need grooming?

- What age is a puppy ready to come home? Does this vary with breeds?

- And I guess the most important part to start with - choosing a breed. We have been through the Pedigree select-a-pet survey which was really helpful and at this stage Mum likes the idea of the Bichon Frise breed. Are there any other things that can help us make the right decision? A little about my parents and their lifestyle - both retired and active. Both walk everyday, including long bush walks. They have a smallish yard and would be happy for the dog to be inside when they are home. Oh and Mum is adamant that the dog not shed fur everywhere so I presume this would narrow it down (she is fine with lots of grooming though).

- Training. We quite enjoy watching The Dog Whisperer with Cesear and hope to go to his seminar in Brissy later this year. Do you all agree that his training is a good place to start?

Thanks everyone, any and all advice is greatly appreciated by my Mum and I :)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi and welcome :)

:thumbsup: for getting in early to research and learn!!

I will give you this link CLICK HERE - most of the info is useful .. some techniques you may not use .. but it's a good basic start .

No doubt there will be some good advice/info for you as others find this thread . :)

Just a thought - do they really want to go through all the puppy stuff? Housetraining, etc ? You may well be able to find a lovely young adult - or older dog of the breed they choose - and that way they can see exactly what they're getting ..and not have all the 'baby' angst ;)

Edited by persephone

According to the RSPCA - puppy should not be younger than 8 weeks.

http://kb.rspca.org.au/How-old-should-a-puppy-be-before-they-are-adoptedpurchased_311.html

They have lots more great info on how to find the right puppy - because they don't want it showing up at their pound.

http://www.rspca.org.au/how-you-can-help/campaigns/pedigree-dogs/choosing-a-puppy.html

They have puppies too at RSPCA and AWL.

As does pet rescue.

http://www.petrescue.com.au/search/?a=d&g=f&s=p&l=a&a_id=

You want to make every effort to avoid a puppy from a puppy mill as it may have ongoing social and health problems from the conditions of its origin. This usually involves avoiding the cross breeds with fancy names for "mutt". And you won't get any help here finding one of those anyway.

Ideally you want one of these

http://kb.rspca.org.au/What-is-a-responsible-companion-animal-breeder_327.html

And the best way of contacting them intially is via phone - some of them get a lot of dodgy scam emails asking for their puppies and a phone call may be an easy way to avoid any misunderstanding. Or you can go to some dog shows and look at who has what and ask questions there. Is possibly the best way to find the right breed if you haven't decided yet.

This website covers everything except the phone number of the perfect doggy match for you.

http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/digital-dog-training-textbook

I HATE Cesar Milan's training methods. Far too much physical and verbal punishment and not enough rewards based training for my liking. It's one thing to use those methods when the owner has been mishandling the dog for years, but it's no place to start. I like Ian Dunbar (digital dog training text book) and Susan Garrett methods much better.

If you want a dog for long bush walks - you might want to get something with a short coat that doesn't pick up seed, burrs and dirt easily. But you would also want a dog that sticks with you and doesn't go off hunting small or large critters and get bit by a snake or collect a tick. Ie terriers might be one to avoid unless you're prepared to keep the dog on lead. Which is what I do bush walking.

And you might want to find a puppy pre-school (often run by vets) and a dog obedience / training club near you as well. These can be great ways to teach your dog to be friendly with other dogs and people and meet friends for doggy "play dates".

Hmmmm, yes we didn't think of the problem with bush walking. I presume that most fluffies can be kept short and neat if needed? The walk near their home has a pretty clean pathway except for after rain so it might be okay. But good point!

Excellent info, thank you both.

Mum definitely wants a puppy and has no problems with the house-training stage. I guess the 'Mum' in her helps her take it in her stride :D

Okay, so lots of reading to do and we'll try and get to a show so we can meet the breeds.

Some "fluffies" have coats like velcro as far as attracting and holding onto stuff goes, and others don't.

You can keep the coats short but they can still collect stuff. I guess with a woolly breed you can clip it off. Not so nice with some of the longer coat breeds.

I have an ACDx from the AWL who has a very short coat - and the bonus is everything seems to just fall off it. But I don't know what kinds of small dogs would have simlar coat except maybe Jack Russels or Tenterfields (mini fox terriers) - and they do like picking fights with snakes and sometimes don't win - so you'd want to keep those on lead.

I think one of the latest dogs to arrive at our dog park, I think it is a bichon friese and it seems to object to walking any distance. We're hoping it builds up some fitness and gets over itself.

One of my neighbours has a Bichon and we're pretty much bush with all the nasties. Drew is kept clipped. He's a great little farm dog and mixes it with the ACDs.

We had a foster Bichon who was also clipped. He was terrific at rounding up the goats, so they do have stamina.

I missed the bush walk bit .. I can just imagine a coat full of 'stuff',after bushwalking with a fluffy!!

I have 2 Poodles. We get out and about in scrub and long grass a bit - they are clipped short and is it just a matter of a quick brush (usually their legs) when we get home. Nothing major or time consuming.

I met a very soggy clipped papillon this arvo at the Torrens. It just loves mud and dirt and the owner's way of dealing with that is to keep the coat very short. I thought it was a slighly too furry chinese crested at first.

They're a very energetic dog. That particular one was ball obsessed.

Thank you all for the great information. I passed it all onto my Mum and she says that having fun researching is the next best thing to actually having a puppy at home already :D

Some further questions from us:

- the Papillon - they shed their coat quite a bit don't they? The image of a clipped one sounds very strange :eek:

- mini schnauzer - from what I read their energy levels might suit my parents but are they also a breed that like being a lap dog too?

- Shih tzu's - what is the difference between this breed and the Bichons? I know their coats are different but how about their personalities?

- Poodles - again, what is the difference from the Bichons and the Shih tzus? It seems that these three breeds have lots of 'crosses' but want to stick with the purebreds so we are trying to determine the differences :)

- what is the etiquette when attending a dog show as an observer? Also which one is best to go to (we are in Brisbane)? I have looked at the CCCQ website and they have dates for conformation shows, obedience trials, field & herding shows and extended shows listed - which one is best to go to? No idea here! :confused:

Thanks again, you have all been great!

I would suggest that you attend a show at the Durack Showgrounds, 247 King Avenue Durack.

Just go in through the entrances and find a parking spot.

Just go for a wonder around and ask if you don't know where to find a breed. :D

Sunday 21st Aug. there is a show being held with two speciality championship shows for Toys and Terriers along with a championship show for all the other groups. Starts at 9.00am

Come along and I am sure you will enjoy yourself. There is also a canteen operating should you wish to purchase some lunch.

Edited by oakway

I would suggest that you attend a show at the Durack Showgrounds, 247 King Avenue Durack.

Just go in through the entrances and find a parking spot.

Just go for a wonder around and ask if you don't know where to find a breed. :D

Sunday 21st Aug. there is a show being held with two speciality championship shows for Toys and Terriers along with a championship show for all the other groups. Starts at 9.00am

Come along and I am sure you will enjoy yourself. There is also a canteen operating should you wish to purchase some lunch.

Oh wow, thank you! It sounds like a good day out.

Guest lavendergirl

When Mum decides on a breed she might want to consider an older dog or puppy. There are plenty advertised on DOL - many ex show dogs or older pups breeder has kept back. Some are already fully trained etc. so may be a good option for a semi retired person? You can't go wrong with either a bichon or a Shih Tzu. I personally think the Shih Tzu has an easier coat to maintain as I think the long silky coat is easier to brush then the more curly coat of the bichon or poodle.

I have 2 small white fluffies and we go bushwalking all the time and their favourite place on earth is my parents farm.... :rofl:

If you keep the coat short there is nothing to worry about and even if it gets a bit longer then a quick brush and/or bath will be fine.

A SWF does not have to be just a pavement pusher!

Ooooo mini schnauzers are now on the list too. How cute are they? :)

Mums pretty set on getting a puppy so she can experience all of the training herself. They are both still very active and able to take on the energy of a puppy. But I will mention to her maybe not to discount an older dog as the perfect dog might turn up. She's very 'what's meant to be will be' orientated.

Yes, I was thinking a shih tzu's coat sounded less troublesome. They are also on the must see list which is now - Bichon, Mini Schnauzer and Shih Tzu.

I have a sneaking suspicion they'll end up part of the SWF club, lol, but no dog of theirs will be just a 'pavement pusher', he he he.

We have planned to go to the show next Sunday and are both excited to see these breeds up close and personal :) I'll also see if Mum wants to join the DOL forum as I have already learnt so much by lurking through all the posts :)

Small breed pups often stay with the breeder for a few weeks longer. It makes no difference to bonding, training etc.

I do brush mine daily & bath & clip them from 5 weeks old. They need to get used to it & are still not well behaved for this for a few months, normal puppy stuff, but the shock to an 8 month old who has not had this done regularly is not something I ever want to deal with again. Was not fun.

Yes they get things stuck in the fur so clip short, wear a coat or brush it out after are the choices.

The schnauzer coat is much easier than the bichon or poodle.

Breeder. Visit home if possible. Interstate ask if you can send friend or relative, if you have one there. Ask to see other dogs. Clean environment & animals. Relevant health tests & view results, anyone can just say yes its done. Are you feeling comfortable with the whole situation ?