Ekka Brags (2011)

BittyMooPeeb

I didn't find the stewards rude, but we were first breed on and ready to go in the marshelling area well ahead of time.

It was my first time at the Ekka, I don't think I'll go back - not a fan of the toileting area and they squished us with Fields in what would best be described as a toy-sized benching area while the maltese had these huge big benches. That just didn't make sense!!!

Next year it isnt going to be there..

I heard its being move to where woolies is..

They said that this year we weren't meant to be there either but we were.

I just wish we had more bench space, we were so cramped.

Its a bugger you were so cramped poocow, I was on the first day and I took my basenj and sheltie upstairs to sit with friends with big breeds and there was rows of benches empty or half empty.

There were plenty of downsides to the day - it was a Brisbane Royal that tested even seasoned EKKA exhibitors. So if you are yet to show, be prepared for rude officials*, terrible organisation*, breeds breaking in the middle of judging, no BOB photos and crowds like I have not seen before at the EKKA. We got told off so many times I have lost count (and we are both quiet, considerate exhibitors I think).

So .... who else will be at General Specials day?

* there were some lovely officials and not all the organisation was terrible of course :). One huge plus was the plush puppy grooming area.

I never came across any rude officials at all, there was a couple that had to really push the point that the exhibitor needed to be ready NOW, but it was only necessary.

The breakng in the middle of the breed comes down to a they have a schedule to stick to as to when lunch is, so they have to stick to it.

The crowds well that cant be controlled but can be viewed upon by saying take it as a positive, that the general Joe Public is nterested in purebreds not cross bred "oodles" or similar.

Congrats on your Ekka results :)

no BOB photos

Lots of people have had their BOB photos taken?

I entered Ekka but didn't show as my Puppy bitch has just come out of season, so I've had a couple of relaxing days just observing from the grandstands :) I have been really surprised by the poor entries in some breeds though.

Hi Miss B

On Havanese day I asked about getting BOB photos but the photographer didn't seem in a good mood and he said he was going home early and had run out of battery power anyway. He also spent AGES on each dog, so I would not have got in anyway (up to 20 mins per dog). I know he did quite a few private sittings though, and his signs clearly state that he is available for private sittings during the EKKA. Maybe the photographers need to be asked to prioritise BOB photos over private sittings?

WHY?

The photographer is there as basically a favour to exhibitors. He doesnt get paid by the RNA or DQ to be there. He has to take time off of his paid job to be at the ekka for all 10 days and this year parking will cost him $250.

So basically any photos he takes that he can sell is what s going to cover costs for him.

Its a bugger you were so cramped poocow, I was on the first day and I took my basenj and sheltie upstairs to sit with friends with big breeds and there was rows of benches empty or half empty.

There were plenty of downsides to the day - it was a Brisbane Royal that tested even seasoned EKKA exhibitors. So if you are yet to show, be prepared for rude officials*, terrible organisation*, breeds breaking in the middle of judging, no BOB photos and crowds like I have not seen before at the EKKA. We got told off so many times I have lost count (and we are both quiet, considerate exhibitors I think).

* there were some lovely officials and not all the organisation was terrible of course :). One huge plus was the plush puppy grooming area.

I never came across any rude officials at all, there was a couple that had to really push the point that the exhibitor needed to be ready NOW, but it was only necessary.

The breakng in the middle of the breed comes down to a they have a schedule to stick to as to when lunch is, so they have to stick to it.

The crowds well that cant be controlled but can be viewed upon by saying take it as a positive, that the general Joe Public is nterested in purebreds not cross bred "oodles" or similar.

no BOB photos

I entered Ekka but didn't show as my Puppy bitch has just come out of season, so I've had a couple of relaxing days just observing from the grandstands :) I have been really surprised by the poor entries in some breeds though.

Hi Miss B

On Havanese day I asked about getting BOB photos but the photographer didn't seem in a good mood and he said he was going home early and had run out of battery power anyway. He also spent AGES on each dog, so I would not have got in anyway (up to 20 mins per dog). I know he did quite a few private sittings though, and his signs clearly state that he is available for private sittings during the EKKA. Maybe the photographers need to be asked to prioritise BOB photos over private sittings?

WHY?

The photographer is there as basically a favour to exhibitors. He doesnt get paid by the RNA or DQ to be there. He has to take time off of his paid job to be at the ekka for all 10 days and this year parking will cost him $250.

So basically any photos he takes that he can sell is what s going to cover costs for him.

Who was the photographer?

I must say, hands down winner of Royal Photographers is the 2011 Sydney Royal photographer, Ffiona Erskine of FFIRE Photography. This person is there because they WANT to be there, to capture all of those special moments, and most importantly, get BOB photos!

Edited by EISHUND

no BOB photos

Hi Miss B

WHY?

Because they are supposed to be there to take BOB and group and GS win photos. Otherwise they would be paying a huge fee for a commercial site at the EKKA.

ETA if they are not going to take the BOB photos, and it is such a 'hardship', why are they there at all?

Edited by BittyMooPeeb

no BOB photos

Hi Miss B

WHY?

Because they are supposed to be there to take BOB and group and GS win photos. Otherwise they would be paying a huge fee for a commercial site at the EKKA.

ETA if they are not going to take the BOB photos, and it is such a 'hardship', why are they there at all?

So your complaining that you couldnt get your BOB pic done as there were others getting general pics done and then ask why are they there at all? So what is your suggestion for there to be no photographer at all?

If the Ekka is such a terrible experience for you then why come??

My brag is:

Own the BOB

Bred the RUBOB

Own and bred the Puppy of Breed

Own and bred the Baby of Breed

Own and bred the dog that was second in one of the Sweepstakes

VBG

Well done they are lovely babies :-)

We had a pretty good EKKA

BOB Belgian shepherd groenendael

BOB French Bulldog (8 months old puppy)

Res CC Dane

My daughter was 3rd in the 13-18 year State Finals of the junior handler contest (youngest in the class)

We got to party with the BIS winner!

Great fun year with Great people. Wonder where we will be next year?

Res CC Dane

My daughter was 3rd in the 13-18 year State Finals of the junior handler contest (youngest in the class)

and don't forget Bianca was an absolute trooper handling many dogs for people....expertly may I add........

and why would you not be in Brissie next year????????

Res CC Dane

and don't forget Bianca was an absolute trooper handling many dogs for people....expertly may I add........

and why would you not be in Brissie next year????????

Because the dog pavalion is being pulled down and some of us are not particually keen on where we have been told we MAY be next year.

FFAK the dog pavillion is finally being removed so we are not sure where our new EKKA home will be.

Lionel told me would be where the showbag pavillion is currently.......with a drop off zone for people to drop dogs and bags before going to park.....my concern with this (and I voiced it) was that it may end up being a lot longer walk to the carpark AND therefore people may need to take an extra person perhaps to wait with gear/dogs etc......I'm not sure they had thought about that....sigh......

Melbourne and Sydney Royals use this method (drop off zone) and it works well. Yes you do need a helper to take advantage of the system, but once you know this, you just need to co-ordinate with someone else showing on the sane day. If I am on my own, I arrange to ring people already there when I arrive, to come out and stand with my gear ( or wheel it in for me) while I park. I find having a drop-off zone is MUCH less stressful than navigating the road at brissy.

Melbourne and Sydney Royals use this method (drop off zone) and it works well. Yes you do need a helper to take advantage of the system, but once you know this, you just need to co-ordinate with someone else showing on the sane day. If I am on my own, I arrange to ring people already there when I arrive, to come out and stand with my gear ( or wheel it in for me) while I park. I find having a drop-off zone is MUCH less stressful than navigating the road at brissy.

I agree BMP it means that you push the trolley only a short distance both coming and going.