Breaking Up Fight Article

sallyandtex

Hi, a while back there was a link to a great article on how to deal with dog fights.

Can anyone give the link?

There has been a few fights at the park lately (not mine) but I would like to copy the article for them as one of the elderly owner went to grab the collar of his fighting dog and got bitten badly.

I remember them saying to grab the back legs.

thanks.

Edited by sallyandtex

I like this one..

http://leerburg.com/pdf/howtobreakupdogfight.pdf

BIG TIP

Having two people is better then 1 and you better have put your balls of steel on.

yeah essentially you grab the back legs off the ground and star twirling them arround so the dog has to move with you otherwise it would fall pn its face keep twirling until you have twurled into a room you can close the door on.... presumebly you have a friend doing the same thing with the other dog.

if your alone it involves the same thing except you tie one of the dogs off..

Edited by Ali

Yes, all well & good. But I did exactly the same as you Wuffles, jumped in between them before I even give them a 2nd thought, whoops :o

Ha :) I ended up being very very lucky as I was so fast that I copped a (minor) bite to my leg rather than to my dog.

I do think it would be a different situation if I hadn't been in close proximity and also if my dog had faught back (she didn't). In cases where two dogs were getting into each other I'm sure the method in the link would be the most effective way of dealing with it :)

I must say, I have never been in the situation...but you need a really cool head (like most emergency situations) to act appropriatly.. So its a tough ask but you really just need to take that extra 10 seconds to keep your head in the game and you have it sorted....easier said then done right!

We had probs for a while between an aged desexed female stafford and a young desexed female stafford. The last fight was when the older girl was 16 and the younger only 2 but the older girl never lost a fight! I knew about the back legs thing but both of ours were so determined to hang on the pulling just caused more skin damage because I didn't know about the twist side of it. We used to cover their noses with cloth, pushing it down towards their mouths and as soon as someone let go to re-grip they'd end up biting on cloth and we could get them both apart and seperated. After it was over and they were cleaned up they'd be buddies again, checking out each other's war wounds.

But as for me - adrenalin was the only thing keeping me at it until they were seperated. After that I'd literally turn to jelly and collapse on the floor like I'd run a marathon.

Edited by Puppy_Sniffer

I like this one..

BIG TIP

Having two people is better then 1 and you better have put your balls of steel on.

yeah essentially you grab the back legs off the ground and star twirling them arround so the dog has to move with you otherwise it would fall pn its face keep twirling until you have twurled into a room you can close the door on.... presumebly you have a friend doing the same thing with the other dog.

WOnt work for a huge dog.

Quite a few years ago I was at a big dog show in Sydney. Had crossed the ditch for a holiday.

On one of the days a big fight broke out between two Neo Mastiffs. I was on the other side of the rings to where they were and it was quite evident that no amount of beating up of the dogs by the owners :mad were these dogs going to separate. During much screaming and shouting I ran over and told a guy to grab hold of his dogs tail and pull it up while I grabbed the other dogs tail and did the same. Both dogs had hold of each other and let go of their holds when they released that the pain they were receiving was not going to stop.

One thing I must advise though if anyone has to use this method to break up a fight. Be sure of what you are doing. Be prepared for the dogs to try to see who is inflicting the pain and release their tails as soon as they have released their hold. Make sure they stay separated.

Of course the object of the exercise is not to break any tails. Do not grab the tail right at the end. The set on of the tail should be the area which is experiencing discomfort.

I like this one..

BIG TIP

WOnt work for a huge dog.

Why is that, Mason2009? Too difficult for a smaller person?