Bitch In Whelp - Placed Away From Home

twoblackdogs

I am currently looking after a Bitch that is due to be mated shortly. I have her as a companion for my Older Dog that recently lost her best Mate. We are due to get a New Puppy (Fingers X'ed) in the next 3 mths and would prefer our dog to have a companion until this time arrives, but on the other hand we want what's best for the Bitch as it will be her first litter. I have been offered other dogs as companion's so that's not an Issue.

Would it be best for her to go home to her Breeder/Owner whilst she is in Season and stay home whilst in Whelp/after whelping.

I'm not that keen on having her here whilst in Season/In Whelp as I have never had a Bitch in that predicament before.

My concern is that when she goes home she will have to find her place in the "Pack" again.

I don't want this to cause a behavioural or medical problem if she is in Whelp.

Any comments, suggestions would be appreciated.

If you;ve never whelped a litter before, do not have a decent set up for the bitch and pups and are not prepared to possibly stay up 24/7 for days on end, lose the pups and possibly the bitch. Then I'd be sending her home ASAP after mating.

There's a million and one things that can go wrong and do go wrong and if they did, you can bet your bottom dollar, the owner of the bitch would hold you responsible.

ETA: the more I think about it, the more irresponsible the owner of the bicth sounds. Who in their right mind would let a bitch go to someone without any experience.

Edited by ReadySetGo

If you;ve never whelped a litter before, do not have a decent set up for the bitch and pups and are not prepared to possibly stay up 24/7 for days on end, lose the pups and possibly the bitch. Then I'd be sending her home ASAP after mating.

There's a million and one things that can go wrong and do go wrong and if they did, you can bet your bottom dollar, the owner of the bitch would hold you responsible.

ETA: the more I think about it, the more irresponsible the owner of the bicth sounds. Who in their right mind would let a bitch go to someone without any experience.

The Owners are very responsible and In no way did I mean for it to come across that way. I haven't as yet discussed with them what they would like to do. They have been more than generous in allowing me to borrow this Dog purely for the Companionship of my Older Dog.

They did make it clear to me when I took her on their plan for the near future.

I have even gone to the effort of Training this Dog at Obedience classes, Taken it to Retrieving Trials and shown it whilst it has been with me (All because I have wanted too and the Breeders are grateful for the exposure she is getting to different environments).

Edited by twoblackdogs

The Owners are very responsible and In no way did I mean for it to come across that way. I haven't as yet discussed with them what they would like to do. They have been more than generous in allowing me to borrow this Dog purely for the Companionship of my Older Dog.

They did make it clear to me when I took her on their plan for the near future.

I have even gone to the effort of Training this Dog at Obedience classes, Taken it to Retrieving Trials and shown it whilst it has been with me (All because I have wanted too and the Breeders are grateful for the exposure she is getting to different environments).

That's all well and good, whilst she's not in whelp. Breeders send dogs and bitches to others all the time but once she's mated, it's a whole different ball game and training and obedience isn't going to help you or her.

I'd have thought they would be taking her back once she's mated, or at least after she's confirmed in whelp. I would also expect them to provide you with the correct food to feed her after mating if she was to remain with you in the early stages of pregnancy.