Heelwork To Music

If you like John Farnham why not try You're the Voice? It's not too fast & has a fantastic beat to it. I think Burn for You would be wayyyyy too slow & I agree with Maree, using something with a good beat &/or catchy tune is definitely good for crowd interaction.

I'm going to use How to Save a Life by The Fray for my HTM. Problem is I want to use it in the higher classes & have a routine half worked out already - but I haven't even entered my first starters trial yet :rofl: .

Other than that - well how long is a piece of string? :laugh: There are literally millions & millions of songs out there to choose from, any other ideas of what you like other than John Farnham? Any specific type of music you dislike? Just remember that whatever you choose you are going to have to listen to it over & over & over again, so pick something you like! Three weeks to get a routine together should be plenty if you work at it everyday. I've entered Intermediate freestyle at a trial in 2 weeks time & I am doing a new routine for it (Viva La Vida by ColdPlay) & I only started choreographing it this week (the music is 3 mins 21 secs), so I think you should be able to do yours in time too :) .

Edited because "someything" isn't a word!

Edited by MrsD

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. It is so good to hear what everyone is doing too :) I have chosen my music for both Freestyle :) (Thanks Ness for the shove) and HTM. Now just got to get the routine done. Costume for me and we are home and hosed.

The music that I chose for the HTM is In the navy which has a strong beat and every one knows it. The Freestyle is an old tune (pied piper) that will suit my dog as it is upbeat. Will do John Farnham at a later date when I have some more time to put thought into a routine to suit both music and dog:)

Do you have to do both heelwork to music and freestyle?

No you don't have to. But since I am doing this at the Melbourne Royal and we have to be there all day. It was thanks to Ness that I decided to have a crack at the freestyle as orginally I was only going to do the HTW.

I even talked another person to enter HTM the Royal too. Should be fun. And just to top it off, it is a day that Team Golden is doing a demo, so I told the team leader that if I am competiting and they are on at the same time, I will join the team as soon as I can.

Thought instead of starting a new thread I'd bump this one - I am having a logistics dilemma for my routine for the royal.

3 props - a chimney, a rooftop and a chimney sweep brush - each get used a bit the chimney gets used for the starting move and is probably the most used prop.

Question is how do I lay them out - the area we get I think is pretty large and the audience are all down the one side of the area.

I was either thinking a triangular configuration with the chimney placed kind of in the centre of the arena and the other two props in either front corner. The other alternative would be all three towards the front of the arena in a straight line.

Any ideas :rofl:.

Is this a demo or a competition?

Thought instead of starting a new thread I'd bump this one - I am having a logistics dilemma for my routine for the royal.

3 props - a chimney, a rooftop and a chimney sweep brush - each get used a bit the chimney gets used for the starting move and is probably the most used prop.

Question is how do I lay them out - the area we get I think is pretty large and the audience are all down the one side of the area.

I was either thinking a triangular configuration with the chimney placed kind of in the centre of the arena and the other two props in either front corner. The other alternative would be all three towards the front of the arena in a straight line.

Any ideas :rofl:.

Demo :laugh:. And bedazzledx2 since you know the set up - I gather we have the entire "grass" area. Well if you can call it grass. The area where they run agility (or have the two rings set up for the show dogs).

I don't normally give as much thought to a competition routine but I want it to look specky since we are the first routine in the demo :thumbsup:.

Edited by ness

Think about your audience...put your props and specky tricks as close to the audience as you can without putting too much pressure on your dog. Only you know what that distance is. I would look at a shallow triangle I think...

Demo :laugh:. And bedazzledx2 since you know the set up - I gather we have the entire "grass" area. Well if you can call it grass. The area where they run agility (or have the two rings set up for the show dogs).

I don't normally give as much thought to a competition routine but I want it to look specky since we are the first routine in the demo :thumbsup:.

Thanks yeah that is the kinda the logic I was working on - so much space but I guess thats good in a way Kenz likes to get up a bit of speed :rofl:. Maybe I should supply ear plugs it could get a little noisy. And yes I know if it was a comp I wouldn't really want it but I am less fussed with it being a demo. If she lets out the occasional enthusiastic bark I am not to concerned.

Nice Try Kallista. I was wondering if you thought of some way to stop Tux from barking.

Have you succeeded in finding a song? How is your routine. Is that completed?

I've found out why I have trouble with my routine, the floor size isn't big enough. The music I've selected has me going into a corner and not being able to turn.

So now I need to figure out a way to put the routine into a smaller area

See you at the Royal

Well I have half my routine planned the other half I guess I'll just wing it and see what works :rofl: - they probably won't ask me back again after my little opinionated BC "talks" her way through it anyway :rofl:.

LOL... I know that feeling..

But I wonder what they would do if you did "How much is that doggy in the window' and got your dog to bark on the WOOF WOOF part of the song. I believe that the dogs are not suppose to vocalise that they are happy :(((( when they do DWD..

Thanks yeah that is the kinda the logic I was working on - so much space but I guess thats good in a way Kenz likes to get up a bit of speed :rofl:. Maybe I should supply ear plugs it could get a little noisy. And yes I know if it was a comp I wouldn't really want it but I am less fussed with it being a demo. If she lets out the occasional enthusiastic bark I am not to concerned.

lol for the ear plugs.. So when are you on Ness? You will have let us know how you get on.

Nice Try Kallista. I was wondering if you thought of some way to stop Tux from barking.

Have you succeeded in finding a song?

yes I have found a song :)

How is your routine. Is that completed?

And no it is not completed.. I am away on holidays at the moment ( stupid global roaming is very costly so I don't know when I will be back on here)

I've found out why I have trouble with my routine, the floor size isn't big enough. The music I've selected has me going into a corner and not being able to turn.

Is this for HTM or Freestyle?? and being the nosey parker who is the artist that you are using?

See you at the Royal

You sure will Gamby

Well I have half my routine planned the other half I guess I'll just wing it and see what works :rofl: - they probably won't ask me back again after my little opinionated BC "talks" her way through it anyway :rofl:.

But I wonder what they would do if you did "How much is that doggy in the window' and got your dog to bark on the WOOF WOOF part of the song. I believe that the dogs are not suppose to vocalise that they are happy :(((( when they do DWD..

Have you succeeded in finding a song?

yes I have found a song :)

How is your routine. Is that completed?

And no it is not completed.. I am away on holidays at the moment ( stupid global roaming is very costly so I don't know when I will be back on here)

Is this for HTM or Freestyle?? and being the nosey parker who is the artist that you are using?

See you at the Royal

You sure will Gamby

Ok, thought that I'd put this out there...

Does anyone know of a very easy app (freeware) that allows you to splice/cut music? One that will help this splicing dummy to get it right the first time?

This is so that I have the exact time for the music that I wish to use to finish. Nothing worse than the music still going when the routine is finished.

Well we are back from our demo at the Royal - went ok except somebody had in a extra brand new set of batteries and was just feral :rofl:. Never mind least she was enthusiastic and not scared of anything.

Glad that the demo went well Ness and that the energizer batteries was working well :)) Glad that she wasn't scared of anything :)))

also thanks for the music editor :)