Best Heating For Whelping Box

Heidii

Hi guys

Im just wondering what type of heating is best for the whelping box?

I have heard infra-red are the best because puppies and the mum cant overheat...can anyone shed some light on this?

Thanks!

I purchase the red outdoor flood lights complete with their socket and attach it to a pole attached to the corner of the whelping box.

It's socket/bracket can then be angled in any direction.

It gives off great warmth is cheap to run and inexpensive to replace if the bulb should it blow.

Heat is heat ... no matter what the source, and often the poor bitch has to suffer in boxes which would be comfortable for puppies without benefit of their mum's body heat ..but for an adult dog of normal temperature can be uncomfortable and make for restlessness, panting and not being keen on staying with the pups...

Heat is heat ... no matter what the source, and often the poor bitch has to suffer in boxes which would be comfortable for puppies without benefit of their mum's body heat ..but for an adult dog of normal temperature can be uncomfortable and make for restlessness, panting and not being keen on staying with the pups...

Absolutely.

Always put your heat in one corner of the whelping box so the bitch/puppies can move in or out of the heat as it is required.

I use the infrared lamp for the first couple of weeks and also one of those silicone heating pads in the first few days if it is really cold. We built our whelping box with high sides so I put blankets over the top to create a cave-like effect. The heat falls on the blanket which warms the box but it isn't directly on the bitch so she doesn't get too hot. The heat pad is at the front of the box so that if the puppies move away from mum they stay warm.

This method gets us through the coldest Tassie winter. :)