Pit Bulls Dumped And Found Wondering Streets

skyesblue

Melbourne rangers fear dog owners are dumping their dangerous breeds to avoid the crackdown on vicious animals.

At least four pitbulls and pitbull crosses have been seen in the streets of north Melbourne and local rangers suspect owners could be trying to avoid being caught breeding or importing the animals, the Herald Sun reports.

As part of a government campaign announced last week, dangerous dog owners have until September 29 to register their pets as a restricted breed.

Any unregistered dogs will be put down.

Hume Council confirmed it had killed the four pitbull types found wandering the streets as well as seizing a further three dogs yesterday.

Another 15 unregistered pitbull crosses have been found in homes or exposed by neighbours using the state government's Dob in a Dangerous Dog hotline.

Over the last two weeks, Geelong Animal Aid manager Robyn Stewart has put down pit bulls and believes the number will increase post-September 30.

The crackdown was prompted by the death of Melbourne four-year-old Ayen Chol, who was mauled by a neighbour's pitbull on August 18.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8295196/dangerous-dogs-dumped-ahead-of-crackdown

So.. their stupid kneejerk crackdown has done nothing so far but lead to a surge in loose roaming potentially very dangerous dogs that where obviously owned by irresponsible people, because they have simply released them into the public, no attachments what so ever to the dogs.. they probably already looking for their next dog (breed) to replace it with.... Bloody bravo Victoria bravo.

So.. their stupid kneejerk crackdown has done nothing so far but lead to a surge in loose roaming potentially very dangerous dogs that where obviously owned by irresponsible people, because they have simply released them into the public, no attachments what so ever to the dogs.. they probably already looking for their next dog (breed) to replace it with.... Bloody bravo Victoria bravo.

I second that. If some gov't official came within 30 metres of thinking about sniffing out my dog for whatever reason, not only would I have my lawyers number on speed dial, but that dog would be tied to my hip. Useless excuses for human beings, I second that, Maxiewolf -with their amount of personal insecurities, it'll only be a few weeks before they need a new dog. I pity the breed they're moving onto (or going back to) next.

Melbourne rangers fear dog owners are dumping their dangerous breeds to avoid the crackdown on vicious animals.

At least four pitbulls and pitbull crosses have been seen in the streets of north Melbourne and local rangers suspect owners could be trying to avoid being caught breeding or importing the animals, the Herald Sun reports.

As part of a government campaign announced last week, dangerous dog owners have until September 29 to register their pets as a restricted breed.

Any unregistered dogs will be put down.

Hume Council confirmed it had killed the four pitbull types found wandering the streets as well as seizing a further three dogs yesterday.

Another 15 unregistered pitbull crosses have been found in homes or exposed by neighbours using the state government's Dob in a Dangerous Dog hotline.

Over the last two weeks, Geelong Animal Aid manager Robyn Stewart has put down pit bulls and believes the number will increase post-September 30.

The crackdown was prompted by the death of Melbourne four-year-old Ayen Chol, who was mauled by a neighbour's pitbull on August 18.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8295196/dangerous-dogs-dumped-ahead-of-crackdown

Wow the ones found in homes must be extra deadly- you know because they are actually being contained and looked after :rolleyes:

RIP poor dogs

Off course they're pit x, what with their new standard to Identify them now, what else can they be :mad

Shame on you Victoria, look what you have done!

Putting the onus back onto the dogs owners Is all they had to Implement, Instead of witch hunting and slaughtering countless of Innocent dogs!

And ffs! when are they going to get It right, by classifying a dog doing no wrong In It's own back yard based only on looks being declared a DD, what Is the point of RB when It isn't being used! Using these terms willy nilly shows just how much they have no fn Idea what they're doing!

And to all those people locking out their dogs, may they all rot In hell!

R.I.P poor dogs :cry:

ETA

Edited by RottnBullies

It's only unregistered dogs that the crack-down is on. Responsible dog owners register their dogs and keep them legally.

Unless anyone here can give real examples of where registered pets are being seized from responsible owners, I have no problem with what the government is doing there. It is good that they are focussing on the irresponsible few rather than making life harder for owners of registered dogs.

But greytmate it is still the dogs who ultimately suffer from having crap owners unwilling to register them. Those crap owners will just go on to get another dog when they should have none. Particularly the ones who have just dumped their dogs on the streets so they can't be caught. And heaven forbid if one of those scared dogs bites someone while loose on the street. That will just reinforce that the Vic govt are doing the right thing.

I feel like we have learnt nothing from previous experiences. Just cull the victims senselessly and let the perpertrators shift their behaviours to another breed. Which they will. Those dogs didn't choose to be born pit bulls - humans did. And there are numerous examples of the breed being loving pets rather than vicious killers. I agree an unregistered dog (of any breed) is a risk because we can't track the owner if the dog turns up as a stray, if it is hit by a car or if it attacks someone. But to kill a dog because it is a certain breed and unregistered, without any assessment of its aggresiveness or the environment it is homed in is not something I find acceptable because again, the owner doesn't suffer - the dog does. With its life.

It's only unregistered dogs that the crack-down is on. Responsible dog owners register their dogs and keep them legally.

Unless anyone here can give real examples of where registered pets are being seized from responsible owners, I have no problem with what the government is doing there. It is good that they are focussing on the irresponsible few rather than making life harder for owners of registered dogs.

This is not the case in Vic anymore - pitbull crosses have to be registered as a restricted breed now, not just registered with the council. The owner then needs to comply with the restrictions that this brings.

Edited by megan_

Dogs don't suffer when they are euthanised. They don't know it is happening. The only person that suffers is the family losing the dog. And they have up until 29 of September to do something to avoid it happening.

and the staff having to euth dogs because of irresponsible half wits that didn't do the right thing by the dog or the Community

Greytmate they only get to live if they were in Vic before September 2010. If they were born or arrived after then and fit the standard it's a death sentence whether they are registered or not.

PLENTY of responsible owners will suffer. Ones who have rescued or bought bull breeds and those that move into the state after that date will have their dogs euthanized whether they've registered them or not, even if they've never put a foot wrong.

I would NOT be surprised if it's not dogs being dumped but dogs being released purposefully for them to cause trouble.

There are people out there who don't care, the end justifies the means.

If people are half cocked in I'd they support the legislation or not, a few dog bites from all these "abandoned" pitties would help get the public on board.

I mean I fail to see the logic in dumping my "dangerous dog". If I love my pet and don't want it taken I can:

Register it.

Take it somewhere safer for the time being.

If I need to get rid of it (which is abandoning it) and don't want more trouble for the breed or for society I let the council come and take the dog off my hands where it's fate is sealed.

It might sound far fetched for some but give it some thought. Who's gonna defend the dogs and say that it wasn't the owners who dumped them? The dog?

Greytmate they only get to live if they were in Vic before September 2010. If they were born or arrived after then and fit the standard it's a death sentence whether they are registered or not.

PLENTY of responsible owners will suffer. Ones who have rescued or bought bull breeds and those that move into the state after that date will have their dogs euthanized whether they've registered them or not, even if they've never put a foot wrong.

Where does it say that?? From http://new.dpi.vic.gov.au/pets/dog-care/restricted-breed-dogs/frequently-asked-questions-restricted-breed-dogs

"Dogs that were in Victoria prior to 1 September 2010 that are registered prior to 30 September 2011 will be able to be registered and so you should ensure your dog is registered as soon as possible.

After, the registration amnesty ends on 30 September 2011, if your dog is a restricted breed and is not registered and was not in Victoria prior to 1 September 2010 then it is not able to be registered and council will be entitled to seize and destroy the dog."

It's quite simple really - if you have a restricted breed dog or even suspect you do, REGISTER IT NOW and register it honestly as the breed/mixed breed you suspect it is, and it will be safe from complaining neighbours. Remember that it's the law that ALL dogs should be registered. People who are complaining about the fact that bully breeds must be registered or risk being seized and and destroyed have forgotten this basic fact.

My dogs are registered. They are registered as what i believe them to be which is not a restricted breed. But this standard is so broad that they and MANY others may be considered to be of 'pit bull type'. So i should register them as restricted breeds and keep them as such (which would drive them crazy- never to be off lead again or walk without a muzzle) just in case someone thinks they are?? This is ridiculous.

My dogs are registered. They are registered as what i believe them to be which is not a restricted breed. But this standard is so broad that they and MANY others may be considered to be of 'pit bull type'. So i should register them as restricted breeds and keep them as such (which would drive them crazy- never to be off lead again or walk without a muzzle) just in case someone thinks they are?? This is ridiculous.

Hey, with a few exceptions, greyhound owners have been forced to walk their dogs with a muzzle for years (and they know the dangers of letting them off leash). You don't hear them complaining ...

Where does it say that?? From http://new.dpi.vic.gov.au/pets/dog-care/restricted-breed-dogs/frequently-asked-questions-restricted-breed-dogs

"Dogs that were in Victoria prior to 1 September 2010 that are registered prior to 30 September 2011 will be able to be registered and so you should ensure your dog is registered as soon as possible.

After, the registration amnesty ends on 30 September 2011, if your dog is a restricted breed and is not registered and was not in Victoria prior to 1 September 2010 then it is not able to be registered and council will be entitled to seize and destroy the dog."

It's quite simple really - if you have a restricted breed dog or even suspect you do, REGISTER IT NOW and register it honestly as the breed/mixed breed you suspect it is, and it will be safe from complaining neighbours. Remember that it's the law that ALL dogs should be registered. People who are complaining about the fact that bully breeds must be registered or risk being seized and and destroyed have forgotten this basic fact.

No, still not automatically safe... They can still be dobbed in or picked up by the council as a "pit bull type". You MAY be ok, but it is no guarentee. And even then, even if you don't think your dog is a restricted breed, you can still be forced to follow the restricted breed measurements, which no sane owner would want for their dog if they had done nothing to warrant it.

6122757571_c687016690_b.jpg

Hey, with a few exceptions, greyhound owners have been forced to walk their dogs with a muzzle for years (and they know the dangers of letting them off leash). You don't hear them complaining ...

They are allowed to have their dogs in the house off lead with them... I believe Vic will be following the model for restricted breeds that means they can NEVER be off lead, even in your dwelling. They can only be off lead in their secure enclosure. Can't have your dog in with you at night, has to be in enclosure...

Actually I do hear grey owners complain, and rightly so... Two wrongs certainly don't make a right.

I misread slightly on reading again, but we were both wrong. They aren't automatically dead but they also aren't automatically safe.

"17) My dog was introduced to Victoria after the 1 Sep 2010 and was registered with the Council prior to 30 Sep 2011, but as another breed, what is its status?

As the council has accepted the registration application and the statement of breed at registration it can be kept. If detected and declared as a restricted breed dog before the registration amnesty ends, or after it, you have a right to VCAT appeal on the breed issue. If the appeal confirms the restricted breed declaration made by the council then the dog is restricted and at expiry of registration the Council can decide whether to re-register it."

So the dog at the very least will have to adhere to the RB requirements, but they're only safe for a year until their rego runs out. Once the rego runs out Council can refuse to register them so unless they can find another Council that will and move there then the dog would be destroyed.