Piglet And Puppies Playing

sandgrubber

UTube strikes again. This one shows a pack of 2 mo old mix breed pups playing with a wild-bred piglet of similar age. It's cute, but can't figure out whether the guy just loves animals or is teaching the dogs not to be afraid of pigs so he can use them in hunting. (I love the music)

I can't figure out whether pig hunting is the last vestige of animal baiting or a legitimate way to rid the landscape of a highly destructive non-native species. Guess it's both.

p.s. Going to the poster's website, looks like he does catch and release wild boar hunting . . . sounds like an EXTREME dog sport if ever there was one. . . .but not a blood sport . . . apart fom a good chance of dogs getting killed. Yes, there is purposed to raising the pups with the piglet. See:

http://hogwrangler.com/index.htm

You learn something every day!

Edited by sandgrubber

I'm in two minds about using dogs to help with dispatching pigs ...

From what I've seen, and done .. it is MUCH preferable to poison/trapping ..but nowhere near as humane as a well placed chunk of lead travelling at great speed.

Around here a lot of pig control is done with dogs ..as national parks etc do not allow firearms . There are people good at it..and 'cowboys' the good ones do a good service, their dogs enjoy the work , and are looked after - and pigs are killed as quickly as the method allows. The dogs are usually nice dogs .. a real mixed bag - mastiff/bullbreed/deerhound & who knows what else .They look pretty formidable in their 'armour' !

We have, on occasion, used our koolies as holders - a couple were excellent at it ..but obviously they could only be used on smaller animals . We never had any injured dogs, either. A koolie on each ear-- and a pig was going nowhere .... not ideal.. but when the person has no firearm ... and comes across pigs ..

Living on the Southern Highlands and working at a local vet I often see dogs with the resulting horrendous wounds from pig hunting. Not a pretty sight but many hunters do have some great leather chest protective wear for their dogs.

A lot of pig hunters use dogs to find and hold pigs and a firearm to dispatch them.

Pigs don't tend to conveniently provide a silhouette on a hill for a hunter and are a bugger to find.

Dogs are very effective for pig hunting and provided they are well cared for, I don't have an issue with it. It sure beats baiting.

Edited by poodlefan

Age old debate huh.

And, I have to say, one I really don't understand. Feral pigs are a huge problem in this country. I don't hold with a bunch of yobs in a ute with half trained dogs and a few cartons of beer going after them but well trained professional hunting dogs.. go for it I say.

I've seen it done (on telly) and its quick and clean if the hunter knows their job. Its a lot more humane than intensive pig farming, that's for sure.

Hey guys . . . did anyone watch the UTube clip. This guy isn't hunting to kill. He raises the pigs as semi-wild and then does catch and release with his dogs. The dogs were brought up with piglets. One of his other Utube clips shows the piglets jumping up into the back of the pickup along with the dogs. The dogs are amazingly well trained.

I'm sure there's an age old debate about pig/boar hunting with dogs. I find it interesting to realise it's not black and white. Some pig hunters are out for blood and gore. Others just want adrenalin and/or trophies. Others just want to get rid of the feral animals . . . and perhaps end up with some pork. I'd guess the range in their dogs is just as great.

Age old debate huh.

And, I have to say, one I really don't understand. Feral pigs are a huge problem in this country. I don't hold with a bunch of yobs in a ute with half trained dogs and a few cartons of beer going after them but well trained professional hunting dogs.. go for it I say.

I've seen it done (on telly) and its quick and clean if the hunter knows their job. Its a lot more humane than intensive pig farming, that's for sure.

I guess a lot of people just don't get it. They don't see the damage they do first hand, all they see is the people hunting them and taking photos of their kills.

I've heard stories of some boars taking multiple bullets in the head [well aimed ones too] to down the bugger!