Yet Another Dog Attack :-(

k9angel

OMG it was a Labradore!!! BAN ALL LABRADORS!!! THEY ARE TOO DANGEROUS FOR PEOPLE TO OWN!! PROTECT US MIGHTY GOVERNMENT, SAVE THE CHILDREN!!! LABRADORS ARE OBVIOUSLY KILLERS!

So it sounds like this mans injuries were not severe. He got a significant bite to his arm and a scratch to his face...

Anybody knows when dogs are fighting that you don't just put your arm into the middle of them... Der...

On a separate note my Labrador has bitten me before once when I was drunk (not a regular occurrence) and for some stupid reason I touched his food bowl while he was eating.. He mauled my ankle multiple times within a couple of seconds, it really hurt for a few seconds, but he did not draw blood. I blame myself for the incident.

Are you serious or taking the piss.

I can't believe you are blaming someone for being attacked by a wandering dog because he was defending his dog, however stupid his actions were.

What next am I going to hear the little girl was attacked and killed because she screamed and ran.

Very few people are truly dog savy and blaming the victims is going to only make the problem worse.

Treating the general public like morons rightly or wrongly is a one way ticket to getting every bull breed banned in this country.

Thank dawg the jack russell is okay and fingers crossed the man recovers quickly from his injuries

Edited because I can't spell.

Edited by SnoPaws

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yooo hooo. Where's Matthew B when we need him. ;)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm sure he'll say it was a bull breed dressed up as a Lab ;)

The Sydney Morning Herald's sensible article on the uselessness of banning breeds, pointed out that it was a pet labrador responsible for the attack where a French woman had her face torn off. She was the recipient of the world's first partial facial transplant.

She said she'd taken some drugs to forget her problems & passed out. She woke up to find her labrador beside her and a good part of her face bitten off.

Edited by mita

OMG it was a Labradore!!! BAN ALL LABRADORS!!! THEY ARE TOO DANGEROUS FOR PEOPLE TO OWN!! PROTECT US MIGHTY GOVERNMENT, SAVE THE CHILDREN!!! LABRADORS ARE OBVIOUSLY KILLERS!

So it sounds like this mans injuries were not severe. He got a significant bite to his arm and a scratch to his face...

Anybody knows when dogs are fighting that you don't just put your arm into the middle of them... Der...

On a separate note my Labrador has bitten me before once when I was drunk (not a regular occurrence) and for some stupid reason I touched his food bowl while he was eating.. He mauled my ankle multiple times within a couple of seconds, it really hurt for a few seconds, but he did not draw blood. I blame myself for the incident.

I don't care what the breed is. A person has the right to go for a walk without another dog attacking their pet.

My parents live in the Northern suburbs of Melbourne and they have a friend with a Jack Russell who was set apon by a Rottweiller (no, I'm not having a go at the breed, they are one of my (many) favourites) that jumped it's low fence and savaged the little dog, requiring expensive life saving surgery. The owners of the JRT are still trying to get the owners of the Rottie to contribute to the massive vet bills.

My elderly parents (mum 74, Dad 80) are too frightened to take their 8 year old Rescue Cavalier for a walk around the block now. When dad goes on his own the dog barks but stays in it's yard, he's not willing to risk the safety of a poor little dog that was only recently rescued from a Puppy Farm and is enjoying his twilight years now.

That's all well and good, but when it's YOUR OWN dog getting attacked, the reality is that most of us would do the same thing. Doesn't absolve the attacking dog and their owner of responsibility.

Not me. I would grab the back legs of the attacking dog and wheelbarrow him off. I watched a video on how to break up dog fights.

I am not blaming the victim here, just saying, as a dog owner, he should have had a little bit more common sense, but the onus of responsibility lies on the other dog owner.

Edited by cybergenesis

My dog was attacked by a lab last year, and yes, I went right in there to split them up. I'd rather be bitten and have to go to hospital for stitches than have a dead dog. (Neither of us were injuried though)

But yeah, it's rather funny that pretty much all the dogs that react to my dogs on walks are goldens, labs or toy dogs. I don't think I've ever seen a staffy or similar breed react to us.

As for touching your dog's food bowl, you should be able to do that without being mauled, and if my dogs did that to me I'd be calling a behaviourist.

Edited by fuzzy82

That's all well and good, but when it's YOUR OWN dog getting attacked, the reality is that most of us would do the same thing. Doesn't absolve the attacking dog and their owner of responsibility.

Not me. I would grab the back legs of the attacking dog and wheelbarrow him off.

Once again, easy to say.

I reacted so quickly that I avoided my dog getting injured. If I'd waited until the other dog had latched on, then wheelbarrowed, I don't want to think what may have happened to my dog - both physically and mentally.

Edit: I ended up with a small area of broken skin through my jeans.

Edited by wuffles

Not me. I would grab the back legs of the attacking dog and wheelbarrow him off.

Once again, easy to say.

I reacted so quickly that I avoided my dog getting injured. If I'd waited until the other dog had latched on, then wheelbarrowed, I don't want to think what may have happened to my dog - both physically and mentally.

Edit: I ended up with a small area of broken skin through my jeans.

I'll acknowledge that you may be right. I like to think I would do the right thing in a dog attack, but thankfully I've never yet been walking my dog and had him attacked, but its something you definitely feel from experience is a possibility. Then again it would take a fairly large, vicious dog to be a threat to my dog, as he is fairly large. Larger than most the dogs I have seen around the neighborhood (but not all).

Edited by cybergenesis

I live in Glenroy, thankfully the nicer side, but I used to live close to where this latest attack happened. This suburb is particularly bad for dogs off leash and wandering. I usually average at least one stray a year I drop into the local vet for scanning. About half are chipped. Even around the block where I live I am so sick of charging dogs. Some are not fully contained and will come right out of the yard after us. I have reported quite a few to the council, in particular one little pom who is always wandering over the road, that I have seen nearly get skittled twice. He is a nasty little bugger :mad

Don't see any mention in these reports reminding people that they should not attempt to break up two fighting dogs, course most of us would try to on instinct. But Joe Public doesn't know... I've heard of experienced people who have had to let dogs just about kill each other because they know the risk to their own lives for trying to break up a fight.

I know I shouldn't do it but I'm sure if I thought I had a moment of opportunity to break up a fight that was a risk to my dogs life I would try, mind you I got a single bite from a Jack Russell the other day that is deep and bruised not even breaking the skin and its painful as... so any dog bite that actually manages to make you bleed is defiantly serious.

But it does prove that its PEOPLE, not controlling their dogs of ANY breed that is the cause of attacks. Has nothing to do with registration, restrictions or regulations. Its as simple as people being neglectful.

I certainly hope a Labrador owning family member of mine sees this, as they have been arguing with me over BSL saying that its the dangerous UNregistered dogs causing allllll the problems. (they had an attack at me cos my dog is currently not registered with council (long O/T story)... ahem? does that make him more vicious or something? - My yard is like fort knox now. Theres locks on the gates, my dog cannot jump the fence and is NEVER off lead in public areas not meant for dogs...and most certainly never off lead unsupervised. sooo yeah.) Hope the people who think its Breeds are sitting up and paying attention.

Of course many people will automatically try to save their dog if it's under serious attack....when it's on-lead and out being walked.

The emotional response to their pet dog is the same as that towards a family member. It's not a matter of right or wrong, it's just what many people automatically do. And that needs factoring in to prevention. Because it means dog aggressive dogs have potential to harm humans as a spin-off in attacking other dogs. So their owners need to be held responsible when such possibilities become realities. It's just as serious an offence against public safety to let a dog-aggressive dog be loose in public as it is to let a human-aggressive dog loose.

And it means that dog owners, out walking their dogs need to factor in ways to try to deal with the problem, if it happens. From my experience, time is limited when a solid dog with jaws agape, comes hurtling at speed straight at your own dog/s that are right beside your legs. And the hurtling dog weighs nearly as much as you do. While your own dogs' leads tangle your legs as they understandably panic. Yes, that's happened to me, too. Saved by a pair of passing truck drivers. Another heeler (red) being walked off-lead.

I've heard tips like carrying a pop up umbrella which may offer a temporary shield. But the reality is... mayhem in a flash.

One of the things I see in my area, is a few elderly people walking their small dogs when darkness has just fallen. To avoid the people who walk dogs without them being on-leash. And they stick to walking around the shopping centre, not the walking tracks.

Edited by mita

Not me. I would grab the back legs of the attacking dog and wheelbarrow him off. I watched a video on how to break up dog fights.

This does not work when one dog pretty much fits in the other dog's mouth.

Go the boot people. I'd happily lose a leg to save one of my dogs.. my hands are very much a part of my living.

Go the boot people. I'd happily lose a leg to save one of my dogs.. my hands are very much a part of my living.

When I went to a dangerous dog seminar with Steve Austin he said if you were attacked best to offer the dog your bum :eek: ie curl up in a ball with your bum facing the dog. I guess there is more padding and less arteries there!

my hands are very much a part of my living.

*imagining what poodlefan does for a living....*

I type a lot megan... not a hand model or an Auslan interpreter.

Computer based work without two fully functioning hands is frustrating.. I learned that when I had a broken wrist and a cast on my hand.

Edited by poodlefan

Of course many people will automatically try to save their dog if it's under serious attack....when it's on-lead and out being walked.

The emotional response to their pet dog is the same as that towards a family member. It's not a matter of right or wrong, it's just what many people automatically do. And that needs factoring in to prevention. Because it means dog aggressive dogs have potential to harm humans as a spin-off in attacking other dogs. So their owners need to be held responsible when such possibilities become realities. It's just as serious an offence against public safety to let a dog-aggressive dog be loose in public as it is to let a human-aggressive dog loose.

And it means that dog owners, out walking their dogs need to factor in ways to try to deal with the problem, if it happens. From my experience, time is limited when a solid dog with jaws agape, comes hurtling at speed straight at your own dog/s that are right beside your legs. And the hurtling dog weighs nearly as much as you do. While your own dogs' leads tangle your legs as they understandably panic. Yes, that's happened to me, too. Saved by a pair of passing truck drivers. Another heeler (red) being walked off-lead.

I've heard tips like carrying a pop up umbrella which may offer a temporary shield. But the reality is... mayhem in a flash.

One of the things I see in my area, is a few elderly people walking their small dogs when darkness has just fallen. To avoid the people who walk dogs without them being on-leash. And they stick to walking around the shopping centre, not the walking tracks.

So true.

I have a dog aggressive/reactive dog and it would be plain stupid of me to stick my hands in to grab her even by the collar when she in all out reactive mode because she is so highly aroused she wouldn't even realise what she is doing before she has done it. I would never ever walk her off lead, I actually specifically walk her through the business centre of my area because very few people walk their dogs there and I have never seen an off leash dog there so less chance of someone's out of control dog running up to us and getting into a fight with my dog, I can also easily see dogs coming and take avoidance measures. Luckily I am yet to actually have any dog run up to her (touch wood) but I guess my plan in that situation would be to lift her front end as high off the ground as I could and start yelling/kicking the other dog.

I will say I have used the wheelbarrow method previously and it has worked a treat. But I don't actually walk backwards to start of with, first I lift up as high as I can and then when the dog has released I move backwards to minimise damage to the dog being attacked.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

Did it say if te dogs where both on lead or off at all because that would make a diffrence ( I couldn't see it on the report) to be honest I dunno what I would do if that happened to my dog, I know your suppose to grab there back legs but I do know that I would not put my arm near or in the way of teeth just asking for trouble. We have a German shep jut moved in down the road it is never contained or on a lead ( they are my fave breed and I have had them for years) I'm scared of what it will do to zorro as it run up hackles raised growling ( so I pick pup up) but that dog should be contained and I know how powerful tho jaws are.

I hope they are safe from this media craze ATM but bad owners = bad dogs :(

That is just sad.

One thing I love about living on a semi rural highway, no wandering dogs around here, they would be taken out by a log truck. We have Amstaff breeders two doors up and we are both constantly comparing notes about turning our properties into Fort Knox.

Also doesn't work when there are mulitple dogs involved. My 60+ kilo Bull Mastiff was attacked in my front yard by the three pigdog mutts from across the road. We were doing the gardening at the time and they cleared my waist high front fence to get to him.

However worked a treat on my two entire males who had a scrap over a bitch earlier this week, stupid boys.