Yet Another Dog Attack :-(

k9angel

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know not to try to stop a dog attacking mine, but I still would - I couldn't stand by and watch.

Agree, when it happened to me I still stuck my leg between them - and I would do it again.

Yes agree, was in a similar situation recently. Instinctively tried to protect my dog by blocking with my legs (didn't manage to kick the dog that was rushing us though, him fast, me too slow!)

Cybergenesis, I've seen video of how to break up a dog fight too but in real life your adrenelin-fired reaction can be quite different. An off-lead attacking dog can quickly cause you and your on-lead dog/s to become entangled and dogs just move so bl##dy fast! I couldn't move fast enough and I'm grateful that people came to my aid.

Not me. I would grab the back legs of the attacking dog and wheelbarrow him off. I watched a video on how to break up dog fights.

This does not work when one dog pretty much fits in the other dog's mouth.

Go the boot people. I'd happily lose a leg to save one of my dogs.. my hands are very much a part of my living.

When I went to a dangerous dog seminar with Steve Austin he said if you were attacked best to offer the dog your bum :eek: ie curl up in a ball with your bum facing the dog. I guess there is more padding and less arteries there!

Yikes! Put your best cheek forward, so to speak? :o

Was that if you get attacked on your own, rather than when walking your dog?

I heard the dog was a Lab that had attacked. I then heard a report and the breed wasn't mentioned.

The channel 10 news reported that it was a large white dog and that the man was walking his Pomeranian.

The Herald sun reports that the man was walking his Jack Russell Terrier.

Oh well, it sounds like it doesn't fit the Breed Standard for Victoria, because according to it, Pit bulls don't come in white.

Brad Griggs was on Chanel 10 news interviewed outside Parliament House. He stated it wasn't a genetic problem and it is about time the government stopped treating it as such. They are treating the problem in a way to gain votes, and not stopping attacks.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8297934/melbourne-man-seriously-injured-in-dog-attack

A Melbourne man has suffered serious injuries to his face and arms after a dog attacked him in the city's northern suburbs.

The man, in his 50's, was walking his own dog in the suburb of Glenroy when he was attacked.

He has been taken to Royal Melbourne Hospital for treatment.

The breed of the dog is not yet known.

When is this going to end? :( I saw it on a newsflash on the tele. They showed a man being taken to an ambulance. I haven't watched the video link of the story yet, just read it.

And when will people learn to keep their dogs contained? :mad they are making it look so bad for all of us who do the right thing. :( Not to mention all the dogs that are going to suffer because of these peoples negligence. :cry:

With a 4 million human population and with a possible 1 million dog owners/dogs(?) within that...there would have to be bites happening from time to time......but now with that child being bitten and dying a few weeks ago....the media are going to JUMP on every single little thing they hear in regard to someone (or dog) being bitten. :(

I heard something today which is frightening. The source of this information is highly regarded both in the dog world and within Govt's. The Vic Govt is planning on adding MANY other breeds to the list including GSDs Rotties, Dobes...AND they are working towards a total ban on the breeding of all dogs as well as the stopping of dog interests such as in showing dogs...for the eventual outcome of no dogs in Victoria once those who are alive now have died out. This I believe is on paper now and is being kept on the QT from everyone finding out so they can bring it into eventual fruition .

I think we all need to band together...every dog owner possible....to fight this!

Not me. I would grab the back legs of the attacking dog and wheelbarrow him off. I watched a video on how to break up dog fights.

Go the boot people. I'd happily lose a leg to save one of my dogs.. my hands are very much a part of my living.

That's actually the correct thing to do....go in with the boot and kick like hell. Never go in with arms or have your face close.

I heard the dog was a Lab that had attacked. I then heard a report and the breed wasn't mentioned.

The channel 10 news reported that it was a large white dog and that the man was walking his Pomeranian.

Oh well, it sounds like it doesn't fit the Breed Standard for Victoria, because according to it, Pit bulls don't come in white.

Brad Griggs was on Chanel 10 news interviewed outside Parliament House. He stated it wasn't a genetic problem and it is about time the government stopped treating it as such. They are treating the problem in a way to gain votes, and not stopping attacks.

That's funny ! One of the nicest looking PB's I have seen was all white ! The owner used to walk it with a chain collar so thick it would pull a ship (chain that is...not the dog)LOL

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/national/8297934/melbourne-man-seriously-injured-in-dog-attack

A Melbourne man has suffered serious injuries to his face and arms after a dog attacked him in the city's northern suburbs.

The man, in his 50's, was walking his own dog in the suburb of Glenroy when he was attacked.

When is this going to end? :( I saw it on a newsflash on the tele. They showed a man being taken to an ambulance. I haven't watched the video link of the story yet, just read it.

And when will people learn to keep their dogs contained? :mad they are making it look so bad for all of us who do the right thing. :( Not to mention all the dogs that are going to suffer because of these peoples negligence. :cry:

With a 4 million human population and with a possible 1 million dog owners/dogs(?) within that...there would have to be bites happening from time to time......but now with that child being bitten and dying a few weeks ago....the media are going to JUMP on every single little thing they hear in regard to someone (or dog) being bitten. :(

I heard something today which is frightening. The source of this information is highly regarded both in the dog world and within Govt's. The Vic Govt is planning on adding MANY other breeds to the list including GSDs Rotties, Dobes...AND they are working towards a total ban on the breeding of all dogs as well as the stopping of dog interests such as in showing dogs...for the eventual outcome of no dogs in Victoria once those who are alive now have died out. This I believe is on paper now and is being kept on the QT from everyone finding out so they can bring it into eventual fruition .

I think we all need to band together...every dog owner possible....to fight this!

That is the sort of thing that needs to get to the media and leaked out as quickly as possible, I mean why cant we use mass hysteria against mass hysteria? If the whole state of victoria suddenly thought they would loose ownership of THEIR dogs... Though I hope the government realise how insane that is and how they cant afford to destroy a multimillion dollar industry in their state... a ban of dogs all together would affect vets, retailers, manufacturers etc. Coles and Woolworths alone would throw a spaz over not needing to sell dog food or something like that, there is no way the government of victoria could afford the sudden mass exodus of dog owning people not wanting to live in such a state.

I know if this sort of insanity keeps up ill be moving COUNTRIES. :mad

That's funny ! One of the nicest looking PB's I have seen was all white ! The owner used to walk it with a chain collar so thick it would pull a ship (chain that is...not the dog)LOL

Yep, the whole deal is rubbish. :(

Yooo hooo. Where's Matthew B when we need him. ;)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I'm sure he'll say it was a bull breed dressed up as a Lab ;)

The Sydney Morning Herald's sensible article on the uselessness of banning breeds, pointed out that it was a pet labrador responsible for the attack where a French woman had her face torn off. She was the recipient of the world's first partial facial transplant.

She said she'd taken some drugs to forget her problems & passed out. She woke up to find her labrador beside her and a good part of her face bitten off.

Ughh! How awful! I'd hardly call it aggression though. Honestly I think dogs would eat their owners if they dies or passed out for long enough to get the dog hungry . Perhaps the dog was trying to rouse the owner???

Ughh! How awful! I'd hardly call it aggression though. Honestly I think dogs would eat their owners if they dies or passed out for long enough to get the dog hungry . Perhaps the dog was trying to rouse the owner???

Some sort of obsessive/panic behaviour would have been my bet.. egged on by no reaction from the owner. Dogs also frantically scratch in such circumstances.

Not me. I would grab the back legs of the attacking dog and wheelbarrow him off. I watched a video on how to break up dog fights

That's actually the correct thing to do....go in with the boot and kick like hell. Never go in with arms or have your face close

I always prefer to choke any dog off a bite, I realise this may not be able to be accomplished by all people which I would then suggest kicking.

Brad Griggs was on Chanel 10 news interviewed outside Parliament House. He stated it wasn't a genetic problem and it is about time the government stopped treating it as such. They are treating the problem in a way to gain votes, and not stopping attacks

:thumbsup: To Brad, does anyone have a link to story with Brad talking?

Slow down people - three sides to every story, the media's say is only one side.

What if the owner let the dog run in an off lead area and the dog wandered? You don't chase off leash dogs, the dog will treat it as a game.

The dog could've done what mine used to do, he jumped a 6ft fence easily(and you don't expect a GSxLab to be able to do that)

You're right though, the dog owner should take responsibility for the injuries. There are always problems you can't anticipate is all I'm saying.

I knew this would happen :(( I am almost in tears reading this. I was srsly thinking of getting another GSD for my boy but i don't think i will bother now. How many yrs till the gov brings this in? QLD is sure to follow :((

I knew this would happen :(( I am almost in tears reading this. I was srsly thinking of getting another GSD for my boy but i don't think i will bother now. How many yrs till the gov brings this in? QLD is sure to follow :((

Get one! To not is giving in and giving up ! FIGHT! Get another Shepherd and FIGHT for the breed and your right to have them.

Get one! To not is giving in and giving up ! FIGHT! Get another Shepherd and FIGHT for the breed and your right to have them.

I WANT to, but i don't want her to have to live in a cage in her own yard or never be allowed in public without a muzzle ect. I WILL fight when this happens, but i just feel like no matter how much we protest, the big dog haters will be louder and gov seem to have already made up their mind to go ahead with it :(

Maybe we need to inform councils and state leaders ect they wont be getting our vote when they support shit like this!!