Warning Bull Breed Owners

Nekhbet

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BOY are there going to be a lot of dogs "dying" in Geelong, and other Victorian councils if this goes ahead!!!

Of course I'm sure the councils won't lose any sleep over it - they'll just raise the price of dog registration to make up for the losses.

Have the politicians actually met any of these breeds? Or are they just going off what some "experts" (and I use the term VERY loosely) tell them.

Good idea! I will mention it to him when I see him on Saturday

It might be worth having a chat with your friend and seeing if he would be willing to pass the information and a copy of the letter (even if he removes his personal details) to the media. How many people are going to be scared shitless by these notices and have no idea the law doesn't include staffies yet????

Exactly! Which is why he is going to fight it.

How many other people have they sent letters to that own staffiies I wonder.

A friend of mine who i think? lives in the Hume council, was sent a letter last week from council. It stated that his Stafford was now declared a restriced breed and that he had to take steps as of the end of the month to comply with relevant regulations.

His dog is registered with council as a SBT and has papers! he will be fighting it.

How can that even be possible? SBTs aren't yet restricted under law???

A friend of mine who i think? lives in the Hume council, was sent a letter last week from council. It stated that his Stafford was now declared a restriced breed and that he had to take steps as of the end of the month to comply with relevant regulations.

His dog is registered with council as a SBT and has papers! he will be fighting it.

ETA - this so called 'killer' dog lives with two children, one of whom has a disability. Killer dog nightly helps the little boy by patiently standing with him an providing something for him to lean on when he brushes his teeth. She follows him everywhere keeping an eye on him, and has warned the family by barking when the little boy wandered out of the house and down the driveway.

Your friend needs to contact their local MP. Make an appointment to see the MP and get them to earn their money. This is what they are there for.

There are things happening we don't know about and that is the part that is frightening. The media is pushing hard, too hard, with their propaganda of dogs being dangerous.

This is NOT A DEMOCRACY. People need to pull their heads out of the sand and realise laws are going to be passed without our opinion or knowledge and we're going to be forced to comply. No one will take my dogs or force me to do anything with them like desex/euthanise.

Councils get massive registration fees for registered dangerous/restricted dogs. Here in Geelong it's $160 a year. Imagine that. Scores of dogs at that rate, plus all locked in cages or muzzled. Don't comply and even MORE money through massive fines.

It's sad the authorities choose to eradicate and not educate. Just all too hard I suppose when you can wipe out a species and line your pockets in the process.

The media obviously knows something we don't! Maybe that Bill that is sitting on that piece of paper just waiting to be pass through?? :cry:

BOY are there going to be a lot of dogs "dying" in Geelong, and other Victorian councils if this goes ahead!!!

Of course I'm sure the councils won't lose any sleep over it - they'll just raise the price of dog registration to make up for the losses.

Have the politicians actually met any of these breeds? Or are they just going off what some "experts" (and I use the term VERY loosely) tell them.

We have one 'pound' here, Geelong Animal Welfare. The woman in charge admits any bull breed/cross pups are 'born to die'. No mercy here. Ironic from a place that does no temperament testing at all to dogs it adopts out too. Hypocrit.

I work for a local council, in the same office as local laws.

not a fun place right now :cry:

well come on...spill it! :)

sorry mate, I need my job to pay the mortgage :(

I will say that there are local laws officers who think this is all bs and are trying to help people scared that their dogs will be seized

I know of someone who lost their local council job by making a negative comment on facebook, so I am limited in what I can say.

its just a horrible situation all round, including for the local laws officers who have to enforce something they dont necessarily agree with.

no one can force anyone to do what they don't want to do. If council officers walked off the job in protest it would also be a beginning. But it seems to be a pattern of just go with the flow here in Australia.

its not quite that simple- council officers have families, mortgages, bills, they cant just leave their jobs despite their personal feelings regarding particular legislation.

staying in the job and assisting people with the legislation, looking for loop holes and being sympathetic to their plight, can do as much good as walking off the job.

its not quite that simple- council officers have families, mortgages, bills, they cant just leave their jobs despite their personal feelings regarding particular legislation.

staying in the job and assisting people with the legislation, looking for loop holes and being sympathetic to their plight, can do as much good as walking off the job.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

problem is the law says they are to be restricted, and if not restricted then destroyed. I dont care how hungry I was I could not drag an innocent dog to its death. The ability to make decisions will also be taken away from council officers with these laws.

no one can force anyone to do what they don't want to do. If council officers walked off the job in protest it would also be a beginning. But it seems to be a pattern of just go with the flow here in Australia.

agreeed!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: