Warning Bull Breed Owners

Nekhbet

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

this is wrong the council is taking this too far :mad i dont own the breeds mentioned nor do i want to, but i feel for the families who may be losing their doggy family members because of some stupid new rules :cry:

is there an online petition we can sign or something??

They have told her to ring closer to the deadline for confirmation. So basically they can do an 11th hour inclusion on a dog previously OK under law and then not extend the deadline for those just included.

That's outrageous. You rate payers in that council area need to be hammering the media. I dont know how they can get away with adding breeds to the list up until the day the amnesty ends. Are you sure that's exactly what your friend was told, Nek, and who exactly did he speak to - any chance there might have been a bit of a balls up in communication?

jesus. Thanks, Kelpiesmum.

That poor girl not getting any assistance from the vets.

eta is anyone here going to that meeting? You should all get your heads together (might be best if it's off the public forum) and come up with a plan. Goodluck with it.

Nice of council to hold it just days before the end of the amnesty, isnt it.

Edited by raz

Good luck getting media help - they are the bloody ones who started this stupid hysteria in the first place... grrr!

As for the politicians who drove this law through parliament as a knee jerk reaction to a tragic event caused by ONE rogue dog - I have no words fit to air on a public forum...

I can see VCAT getting a right hammering with all of the bull breed owners challenging orders made under this new law.

T.

They can and will catch SBT's by using the "breed standard " they have set down. Many of the points apply to the SBT and in particular the use of the words " blunt wedge " and SBT typical of the breed will have that head type. Bull breeds are judged firstly on their heads and I can guarantee a large proportion of the points allocated ( in determining a Pit Bull ) will be based on the head.

A class action would be nice. Time to shop around for a law firm

They can and will catch SBT's by using the "breed standard " they have set down. Many of the points apply to the SBT and in particular the use of the words " blunt wedge " and SBT typical of the breed will have that head type. Bull breeds are judged firstly on their heads and I can guarantee a large proportion of the points allocated ( in determining a Pit Bull ) will be based on the head.

A class action would be nice. Time to shop around for a law firm

Personally I would be willing to support a class action in any way I could, rally, any form of realistic protest against the new regulations, and if you think YOUR breed is safe seriously how long will it be before those few irresponsible "owners" get a hold of your breed of dog? and it's placed on the restricted breeds list due to the owners own stupidity and arrogance? The government has taken the approach of genocide of a breed, if they had the same reasoning with people that would mean all on a DNA line would be deleted from existence if one or more people in a family committed murder, what is the logic behind this legislation? because I can not see it besides the Government pushing a popular (and ignorantly supported)law driven by media/public hysteria. Yes charge owners that may actually make a difference and at least people have an appeal process, and can plead a case these dogs are not even being given that chance on a case by case basis. We really need to stand up and the restricted breeds need the support of ALL dog owners and lovers behind them to show the government that it isn't the right reaction. Maybe a rally (dog meets) and petition signings could be a start? because all I can see is a lot of smaller groups wondering what to do when I look around but we NEED to all come together on this one. And I have no idea of where to start as I am not a club member or shower YET but I hate what this is doing to people and their families. YES I'm pissed off and yes I want to do something but what? besides a petition on facebook on a page with under 500 "likes" what can I do to make a difference? what can I do to save yours and my breed of dog?

Hello **********,

Thank you for your enquiry.

All email correspondence will be responded to by a Customer Service Officer during normal business hours: 8.00am to 5.00pm AEST.

If a Customer Service Officer is unable to directly assist you with your enquiry, we will forward your request to the appropriate department for a response.

If your request requires immediate attention such as a public safety issue please phone our Customer Service number on 03 5272 5272.

Regards

City of Greater Geelong

TBH I wont hold my breath.

If council staff are advising people that other breeds like SBT and Amstaff are to be restricted, and we have no evidence at all that they have, then people should ask for written clarification of this from Councillors or the Council CEO.

People are getting so upset and it might be because counter staff are acting irresponsibly or making statements out of ignorance. This whole thread could be just a wind-up or a typical case of miscommunication. Council counter staff have been known to say stupid and ignorant things about laws that have nothing to do with them. You need it in writing from somebody who is accountable.

You cannot expect politicians to take you seriously if you are not prepared to communicate professionally with them on their level. You are going to look foolish aggressively fighting against staff over something that may not even be real. Forget the general council enquiry phone number, just email the important people directly and demand an urgent response.

hey everyone

I emailed Geelong council this morning and recieved this reply

"The recent legislation changes have not introduced any new breeds into the restricted dog declaration requirements other than including pitbull cross breeds. The main reason for the change in legislation was to bring forward the date for the requirement for dog owners to register a restricted breed, previously the legislation provided an amnesty for owners of a restricted breed to have their dogs registered by 30 Sept 2012 and the recent changes reduced the amnesty to 30 September 2011. After that date it will not be possible to register a restricted breed dog."

Either this person is wrong or the council are doing the dirty on staffie owners!

hey everyone

I emailed Geelong council this morning and recieved this reply

"The recent legislation changes have not introduced any new breeds into the restricted dog declaration requirements other than including pitbull cross breeds. The main reason for the change in legislation was to bring forward the date for the requirement for dog owners to register a restricted breed, previously the legislation provided an amnesty for owners of a restricted breed to have their dogs registered by 30 Sept 2012 and the recent changes reduced the amnesty to 30 September 2011. After that date it will not be possible to register a restricted breed dog."

Either this person is wrong or the council are doing the dirty on staffie owners!

Seems like the right hand doesnt know what the left hand is doing. Write back and ask them if that's the case, what the hell is that letter with council letterhead on FB about

Dear ******

In response to your email I advise that the following breed of dogs are deemed restricted breed in Victoria:

American Pitbull Terrier or Pitbull Terrier

American Pitbull or Pitbull Terrier cross

Dogo Argentino

Fila Brasileiro

Japanese Tosa

Perro de Presa Cario or Presa Canario

American Staffordshire Terriers or Staffordshire Bull Terriers are not restricted breed dogs, however if an authorised officer has doubts about the breed of any American Staffordshire or American Staffordshire Cross dog in line with guidelines for the appearance and characteristics of a pitbull as outlined in the Domestic Animals Act the owner of that dog will be required to provide proof of the breed by producing one of the following:

a pedigree certificate from the Australian National Kennel Council;

a pedigree certificate from a member body of the Australian National Kennel Council;

a pedigree certificate from a national breed council registered with the Australian Kennel Council; or

a certificate signed by a veterinary practitioner stating, or to the effect, that the dog is of a particular breed.

If you require any further information about the new legislation please follow the following links:

www.dpi.vic.gov.au/animalwelfare - department of primary industries

www.legislation.vic.gov.au - click on 'law today' then select Acts beginning with 'D' this will take you to the Domestic Animals Act

www.gazette.vic.gov.au/ - this link will take you to the Government Gazette which publicised the new legislation on 1 September 2011.

I hope this information assists in answering your query.

regards

Jeanette

Jeanette Guinane

[email protected]

This freaked me out as my pooch is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, pedigree with papers. I called my Council, Mornington Peninsula Shire, and spoke to the head ranger (takes care of local laws for domestic animals).

He assured me that MPSC have no intention of treating Staffordshire Bull Terriers as anything other than wonderful family pets. He said there was nothing to be concerned about, there were thousands of SBT's on the peninsula and the MPSC are are not going to wrap them up with the restricted breed legislation.

He did tell me that the Shire has been reciving a number of calls about "Dangerous Dogs'. He told me that once they recived a call the Shire is required to visit the property and inspect the dog (again reassuring me his staff knew what an SBT looked like) and they make an assessment. He told me that although they had been reciving a number of calls, in the majority of cases the dogs are not pit bulls (again reassuring me his team is well versed in what a pit bull looks like) and in fact were often labradors or labrador crosses.

He then told me that once they had been to your property and identified the dog, that they wouldn't be back if more calls were made about your dog.

I aslo asked him if he was aware about SBT's being a target in Geelong and he told me he hadn't heard anything about it at all.

Edited by Polgara's Shadow