Dog Kennels

Blakbelgian

Hi Folks,

I was wondering what do you have in your dog's kennel to keep them warm?

Our kennels are in the back yard on semi lawn. (They are slowly destroying the grass :( :( )

I did go to Op shops/charities and buy single bed blankets or throw rugs BUT...................

Our youngest is 8 months old and thought they make better tug toys than actual bedding. :o:(

They end up on the dirt and ripped to shreds that there's no point in think about washing them.

Does anyopne else have other ideas of what to put in two kennels???????????????

Thanks

BB

My younger girl noms her bedding so we have a piece of carpet in the kennels. Every second morning I spray bitter spray on the bits of the kennel she chews as well as each corner of the carpet. They're not getting anything softer/warmer until they stop using beds as tug toys.

Edit: I am talking a dog house type kennel, not a run, not sure which one you mean :laugh:

Edited by wuffles

The kennel in the backyard is big enough to fit their shadecloth bed&frame ... but generally we don't put anything in the kennel during summer and some carpet in winter - as it is purely there to keep the RSPCA happy if we have to lock on of the dogs over that side of the yard for a while (ie if we have visitors or something).

Generally our boys have access to the full yard with their shadecloth beds on the back verandah ...

Err, my Salukis have 2" thick foam mattresses, covered with a woolen blanket, with their double-bed sized doonas thrown over the top and a fleecy sheet over the top of that in winter so it's not cold when they hop in... :eek: and their "kennel" is their trailer...

They also wear their polar fleece onesie pjs, plus an overcoat if it's going to be frosty. :rofl:

Failing that, they sleep inside by the fire.... :doh:

Spoiled much??

Sonia

ETA I don't know how this info helps you much, if at all... :D

Edited by Hafhafa Hounds

An almost bomb-proof pillow/bedding solution for destructors is home made pillows made of shadecloth. You can stuff with normal stuffing, or a folded cheap doona if you like. Then stitch together with heavy fishing line. They are pretty tough, and still cheap enough to throw out if they do get shredded.

The largest size of the Kramar Sleep Ezy beds, with a foam covered with hession and then a " comfy futon " on top of that. They also have polar fleece blankets and other large blankets wrapped around the futon.

Summer time is just the futon on the tramp bed

Edited by Pav Lova

I have 4 inch foam matresses in the crates, which are in the dog house bit of the runs.

They have about 5 polar fleece blankets on top of that and also wear double polar fleece coats and have a snuggle safe disk if it is very cold.

Their other bed is the leather lounge..............

I found a pile of polar fleece blankets workes well as if they were chewed there was no stuffing/foam everywhere, and they wash and dry easily and can be put in the dryer

Blankets become tug toys here too, but they just keep getting washed and thrown back into the kennels until they are totally shredded.

They also have lounge cushions in their kennels, they do get destroyed occasionally and make quite a mess but they are easily replaced at the next large rubbish council curb side collection :o

I have also used straw in the past, it is very warm but have been told that fleas thrive in it - we are lucky here though as fleas aren't a huge problem :)

Thanks for the ideas.

Gee some of them certaintly have cosy kennels.

Ours sleep indoors at night on the couch, I was just wondering what to put in the outdoor kennels to keep them warm during the day IF they use them and something that wont make a mess all over the yard.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Wood-Kennel-Dog-House-Small-/110743377043?pt=AU_Pet_Supplies&hash=item19c8d1d493

This is the type we have.

BB