gone

Guest lavendergirl

I can't see where that would be normal. The only reason that springs to mind is that the kennels are not cleaned properly - did you inspect before boarding your dog?

I once boarded Orbit at my old work for one night and he came home smelling like wee. We only had concrete yards so I guess he had some splash back when he peed. I would guess dogs that come home with 'that smell' have probably toileted in a hard surface most of the time and then spent a lot of time on that surface.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how clean the place is, dogs can still just take on the smell of those around them.

I would perhaps let the kennel know as they might not be aware of it. Most kennels I know have a policy to bath dogs prior to going home if they've been in for a certain amount of time.

I wouldnt be too suspicious, dogs kept on hard surfaces can end up taking on a mix of smells - urine has a similar after smell to some cleaning agents.

Many kennels wash dogs prior to going home - however if a dog is in for just a weekend then a bath shouldnt be necessary. You can actually be suspicious about dogs who come home smelling so sweet - what are the kennels trying to cover up..... hmmmmmmm

A kennel should not smell like urine or impart a urine smell. In the years I spent running a boarding kennel, the stink turned up occasionally from un-neutered males who marked beds, walls, and occasionally other dogs. It always instigated a cleaning frenzy. We put a coating on all (brick) walls and floors to make them impervious to liquids. All kennels should do this. If you don't, the stink can penetrate and it's hard to drive it out.

I wouldn't be upset. Urine is pretty harmless. But in future, I'd subject the kennel to a whiff test before boarding.

If the smell is really strong - when bathing just have a good look at the skin for any redness. If she/he has been laying in urine (ie no regular cleaning) then it may have burnt the skin ...

But if your dog is anything like my boys then all that doggy smells would have created a peeing frenzy and sometimes my boys don't move their feet out far enough out of the way before they mark. ;)

The boarding kennels I use don't smell like pee. I've had my dog there for long stays and short stays, she gets a bath before she comes home on the long stays, but not the short stays (eg a weekend), and she smells fine.

I have seen lots of dogs get peed on by other dogs because they all smell the same good smell and then they all pee on it and some don't wait for the sniffers to get out the way before they start peeing. Not great but it happens. And it can happen through a fence or the mesh side walls of the kennels.

When you've got plenty of time, organise to visit the kennels, ideally as close to first thing or pick up time as they will let you, and see how it smells generally.

Also ask the person who recommended the boarding kennel if they'd noticed the pee smell.

I work at a kennels, and although cleaned daily, disinfected before and after cleaning- some dogs are just "dirty" dogs and insist on marking walls, beds etc and then laying on them or rubbing on the wall. Also if the dog is in a concrete pen and wees, then runs through it- it will smell like urine. Alot of dogs don't wait to be taken out to excersise before they wee, and males especially go on a marking frenzy when around other dogs.

Orbit comes home with a smell even after just staying with my boss for a weekend, which is a house and backyard situation. But it's because he's spent most of the time romping around with my boss's two dogs, mouthing each other, dragging manky toys around etc etc.