Was I Too Harsh?

NuggyWuggy

I had the opposite Zug Zug - I received an enquiry for a puppy - sent my list of questions and received a response asking who the hell I thought I was and that he wasn't "adopting a child from a Third World Country" and if it was his dog he could do whatever the hell he liked with it without answering to me....I responded (politely) that puppies were my kids and I had every right to ask questions....he in not so polite terms told me to sod off and went into a vitriolic rant about breeders and said he would go elsewhere. I forwarded his details to others in the breed and advised caution......

Wise move to let the other breeders know.

Only positive thing about this rude person, is that he let you know he wasn't going to follow your contract.

The ones that are increasingly worrying me, are those that genuinely 'signed up' at the time of adoption. But later succumbed to the ''But he/she's so gorgeous, it'd be a shame not to have 1 litter'.

Just at the opposite end. One of the good tibbie breeders told me about a lady who'd adopted one of her puppies. This lady, a caring pet owner, joked to her, that she'd had to front up to almost more scrutiny in adopting the pup than in adopting her child. But she meant it as a light-hearted compliment to how much the breeder valued her puppies.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I try to take the opportunity to educate people when I get these types of enquiries, however, if I'm having a bad day, or have had a recent influx of 'red flag' puppy enquiries, I have been known to reply in the same manner as the OP ;)

Be very responsible and desex your puppies before they leave.......

a desexing contract is just a piece of paper once they have the dog they wont care.

I and many others, don't feel comfortable desexing puppies prior to leaving for their new homes. There's ample documentation as to why not :)

a desexing contract is just a piece of paper once they have the dog they wont care.

Sigh - I get so tired of this - in some breeds - especially large breeds - it is not feasible/advisable/responsible to spey/neuter at 8 weeks....for those with breeds where it is safe - great...for those of us who don't have that luxury pls stop implying we are irresponsible for not doing so....

:thumbsup:

I can understand how you feel and rightly so but for those breeders who are putting in place desexing contracts that state " desexing at 6 months " , there is no difference between doing it at 6 months or 8 weeks.

The benefits of delaying desexing, don't come into play that early.

Desexing upon maturity , is altogether different to desexing at 8 weeks or 6 months

I and many others, don't feel comfortable desexing puppies prior to leaving for their new homes. There's ample documentation as to why not :)

Sigh - I get so tired of this - in some breeds - especially large breeds - it is not feasible/advisable/responsible to spey/neuter at 8 weeks....for those with breeds where it is safe - great...for those of us who don't have that luxury pls stop implying we are irresponsible for not doing so....

:thumbsup:

I can understand how you feel and rightly so but for those breeders who are putting in place desexing contracts that state " desexing at 6 months " , there is no difference between doing it at 6 months or 8 weeks.

The benefits of delaying desexing, don't come into play that early.

Desexing upon maturity , is altogether different to desexing at 8 weeks or 6 months

From what I can see from my research, there is a significant increase in the incidence of incontinence problems in females desexed at eight weeks than there is in those desexed at six months, as well as a few other things that are concerning to me. Most of the homes that my pups go to like to have the dog indoors most of the time and I could see incontinence problems becoming a big issue - apparently it's difficult to treat and expensive, and people end up surrendering the dog in the end. I've never had these issues with pups desexed at six months and would like to keep it that way. Despite still getting enquiries from people who want to breed the dog, the desexing contract works well for me. If I need to rehome a dog that is over six months old, I desex it before it leaves.

• 1 month later...

Nope I definitely don't think you were too harsh. As a breeder you have a responsibility to make sure your dogs end up in the correct hands. You can be as 'harsh' as you want, these are your babies you're giving to a complete stranger.

I say way to go :-)

I definitely do not think you were to harsh at all.

1. Your form gave them a chance to state what they knew about the breed etc. Usually people excited about a breed would take this chance to 'prove' to the breeder that they love this breed and they know their stuff.

2. Like others have said previously - If they were genuine, they wouldn't have taken offence to your response, and would have tried to correct your train of thought, by saying 'well, in that case, desexing isn't a problem, and perhaps I can still go on your waiting list'. That, or attempt to discuss how to go about becoming a responsible breeder.

I'm not a breeder, and I never would be (Hats go off to breeders, hard and wonderful work). If I were a breeder, I'd have replied exactly the same. I think it is much nicer explaining a reason as to why you would not provide them with a puppy rather than just saying 'no sorry, no puppies available to breed'. Sometimes people are just uneducated, and by not educating them, how will they ever be educated?

Edit: slight spellling mishap :p

Edited by minimiss

I would seriously like to know how you can pursue someone for breaching a desexing contract? Perhaps send the puppy buyer a letter which is returned not at this address, then what?. Probably only good for people who intend to do the right thing anyway?.

When i was searching for my new girl all the breeders i spoke to were very friendly :) Although i did give them more info then n/a and actually told them how many yrs experience ect me and my fam have had in the breed.

I must admit if i sent through a detailed form and i got that reply i would be offended, but this person didnt give you much to go on.

My new girl is undesexed, i was looking at a breeder interstate but when i found out she desexed them at 8wks i decided to look elsewhere. I guess it is a personal choice, i didnt want my girl to come to me already desexed. I know there are alot of irresponsible so and so's out there, but i think alot of ppl will do the right thing also. I found a breeder that trusted me enough to not mind if i leave her undesexed or even if i want to breed her (as we have with a previous female and stud dog). I feel much more comfortable working with ppl who trust that i will have that dogs best interests at heart its whole life rather then someone who judges me before they even know me.

I think the form to fill out is a great idea as a first step in weeding out undesirable puppy owners. I really feel that we end up with so many dogs in pounds that those breeders that go the extra mile to end up with good homes, deserve them.

As I haven't bred for a few years and don't plan to for at least 18 months, I haven't put a form on my website, however, I will do so. Over the last 30 years, I have bred 128 puppies, and I must admit to having put puppy buyers thru the third degree. Of the 128 puppies I have bred only 5 have ever gone on to have puppies, 4 bitches and 1 dog, and all of these had all their health checks. In that 128 puppies I received 3 back, 2 due to divorce and 1 due to her owner dying.(In owners will she was to come back to me.) I have only ever been notified of 1 desexed 11 year old bitch turning up at the RSPCA, and her owners arrived at the RSPCA about 5 minutes ahead of me, they were in tears she had got out when the nextdoor neighbour had accidently knocked the side fence over!

As for desexing, I haven't recommended desexing under the age of 15 months, since the mid 1980's, due to the side effects. Of the 5 animals that have been bred from, all also passed all our club schemes, the dog was also an Aust Champion with a CDX title and I had a litter with the 3 of the 4 bitches.

I really think if people don't like breeders forms, or the questions their breeder asks them they can look elsewhere, it is not going to be a match made in heaven. And I want Christmas Cards from my puppies that I bred 15 years ago and who are still going strong!

I think I would have taken offence but only because before joining this site I never knew about puppy farming. I actually thought it was bad for a dogs bones to have them desexed prior to 12mths?? I also thought it was good to have one litter before desexing??

I think I would have taken offence but only because before joining this site I never knew about puppy farming. I actually thought it was bad for a dogs bones to have them desexed prior to 12mths?? I also thought it was good to have one litter before desexing??