Dogs In The Community

melzawelza

The problem was derogatory comments being thrown about by you and members of the rally group, don't act like you know nothing! shunning the very people who could have showed their dogs In a responsible manner was a great move :thumbsup:

There was nothing but animosity towards certain people being part of the rally from the day go! Heaps of people have pulled out not a great thing In helping the cause

Good luck with It all

Exactly Danni. Not a great start.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As I have said before, please post a link to any comments by myself or others that fit what you have been saying. I'll even make it easy, here's a link to the group:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/280090508687143/

Not one post has been deleted since it was created so you or others should have no problems providing quotes or a link.

You're right, it is a real shame that a group of people that had so much potential to assist decided to not become a part of the rally. It's also a shame that people would abandon an event that is about everything they are supposedly fighting for because they perceived things to not be going their way, or petty schoolyard grudges, or whatever your motivation is -'to be honest I can't figure it out, but it clearly isn't the dogs.

Ive offered for everyone to join the group at least three times and asked for your input on ideas being thrown around, and any new ideas. All have declined this offer and given no input on the rally. I am not a mindreader. I don't know what you want unless you say it.

I would appreciate you give up and stop harassing me, and this thread can go back to what it is supposed to be about. THE DOGS. If this continues I will be asking Troy to delete the thread and starting again.

The problem was derogatory comments being thrown about by you and members of the rally group, don't act like you know nothing! shunning the very people who could have showed their dogs In a responsible manner was a great move :thumbsup:

There was nothing but animosity towards certain people being part of the rally from the day go! Heaps of people have pulled out not a great thing In helping the cause

Good luck with It all

I'm sorry, do you have a personal vendetta against Melzawelza here? Could you take it to personal messages because this kind of bitching does nothing to help the cause, which is to get the message out that all breeds should be treated equally.

Hearsay (whether it be close friends or not) can be a vicious thing. If you're interested in rallying against BSL, please look into the rally itself, instead of listening to what others may say about certain comments. The internet is a tricky thing, with text being misinterpreted. Just because friends may see something they don't like - it doesn't mean you will. I don't know about you but I generally don't agree with everything my friends say/do/preach. Decide for yourself.

If people were more interested in standing up and giving these dogs a voice, instead of their own personal vendenttas and egos, we would get a lot further.

Good luck with It all

I'm sorry, do you have a personal vendetta against Melzawelza here? Could you take it to personal messages because this kind of bitching does nothing to help the cause, which is to get the message out that all breeds should be treated equally.

Hearsay (whether it be close friends or not) can be a vicious thing. If you're interested in rallying against BSL, please look into the rally itself, instead of listening to what others may say about certain comments. The internet is a tricky thing, with text being misinterpreted. Just because friends may see something they don't like - it doesn't mean you will. I don't know about you but I generally don't agree with everything my friends say/do/preach. Decide for yourself.

If people were more interested in standing up and giving these dogs a voice, instead of their own personal vendenttas and egos, we would get a lot further.

No vendetta at all, and not bitching at all you're pretty good at that, just stating the truth, It's always been about all breeds, you're right there, so maybe Insinuations that it was a pit bull only focused rally should not have been thrown around to start off with!

I don't do PM's so don't bother thanks, I've nothing further to add

I'll be at the Melbourne based rally and have appealed to one and all I know to attend.

What is wrong with going directly to the source and asking the person directly instead of listening a la chinese whispers style (whether you know the person voicing the whispers or not)?? Gossip, hearsay, half truths or even a story simply conveyed wrong can just undermine so much... and it looks like this is no exception. :(

Whether or not there is basis to the allegations of people being put off (I'm not interested whether there is or isn't)-- surely those that have seemingly been discouraged could find it in themselves to attend for the sake of fighting for the rights for their dogs safety and freedom?!?!?!???

Edited because I wanted to. :laugh:

Edited by A-B-C

I have just heard Peter Walsh say that power/authority has been granted to individual Councils to decide as to whether they want to register "these types" of dogs and if they don't they can de-register them.

This was via an interview on the radio.

Is this old or new news to anyone?

I have just heard Peter Walsh say that power/authority has been granted to individual Councils to decide as to whether they want to register "these types" of dogs and if they don't they can de-register them.

This was via an interview on the radio.

Is this old or new news to anyone?

That is new news to me and unbelievably disappointing. So now even the dogs whose lives were safe under the legislation are not safe anymore. Just disgusting.

I've fixed up the links in the initial post now that I'm home and on a computer. Should all take everyone to the right pages.

Currently myself and the other person organising are deciding whether the event will be dogs or no dogs, and also writing a concise, clear mission statement that can be used to show people exactly what the aims of the rally are and also send through to speakers so they can make an informed decision as to whether they would like to attend. We should have all of this up on the page by Saturday afternoon.

Hold up everyone. I may have misheard or am mistaken. I've now listened to audio replay of the Minister's conversation with Neil and can't pick up the part where I thought I heard him say the Council could de-register. In my defence, the speaker on my laptop isn't particularly loud and this time I ran the audio replay through twice with my ear almost to the keyboard to hear. Would someone else like to confirm that I was hearing things by double checking word for word what the Minister said? My apologies if I sent anyone into a bigger spin and panic than they already would be. I would run the audio replay through once more but I'm done in for tonight and need to turn off.

Edited by Erny

Thanks for your input guys, it is really valued and I'd appreciate input from anyone else reading too.

We are also certainly leaning towards there being no dogs bar a select few that are safe and well trained for crowds to be our doggy ambassadors. We will be meeting up tomorrow to discuss pros and cons and make a decision.

I would agree that a few pre-picked dogs who are used to crowds ought to be there, but it might get out of hand is everybody brings theirs, especially if the media are involved. You know what some rags are like - a photo of a dog yawning becomes 'OMG it's a vicious killing machine!' But at the same time, just a few well-behaved ones will illustrate the point.

The organisers have had a great, productive day today and have constructed a mission statement, dog and slogan policy. We'd appreciate everyone having a read of the new info, comments are welcome. :)

Dogs in the Community – a rally against BSL and for improved Companion Animal Practices in Australia.

Recent media attention on the issue of dog aggression and dog bite incidents in the community has once again brought issues such as Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) and companion animal management practices to the forefront. A rally addressing these issues and their impact on the community is being held at Belmore Park, Sydney on October 22, 12- 3pm.

Who is this rally for?

Anyone, not just dog owners, who is interested in the issues surrounding dogs in the community. In particular, matters of:

• Safety – how do we reduce dog bite incidents in the community?

• Breed Specific Legislation – why does government implement this as a solution despite the fact that available scientific literature and experts in the field acknowledge that BSL does not make communities safer from dog bite incidents?

• Welfare – Why aren’t we adopting world class, best practice animal management policies, which have positive, proven welfare and safety outcomes for both companion animals and our society?

• Responsibility - How do we encourage and ensure responsible dog ownership?

Our keynote speakers will address these topics in detail from various perspectives.

Can I bring my dog to rally?

Dogs who serve the community such as assistance dogs and police dogs undergo extensive training in order to be behaviourally reliable when in crowded, potentially stressful situations. Very few pet dogs have the opportunity to develop this level of reliability, and thus the organisers politely ask you not to bring your dog with you on the day. A selection of appropriate dogs will be in attendance as representatives of all dogs in the community.

Please note:

We understand why some owners of particular breeds/types of dogs who are being targeted by the media feel frustration and anger, however, we must also understand that the general public – who have been fed a diet of misinformation, media hysteria and political rhetoric – cannot be expected to join us in a call for change unless we engage with them in an educative and positive way.

With this in mind, we ask those bringing banners, posters etc. to the rally to please refrain from using slogans like “Ban Stupid People, Not Dogs” as they have the potential to create division rather than cooperation. Slogans such as “Educate, don’t Discriminate” or “Breeds Don’t Make Bad Dogs, People Make Bad Dogs” are welcome. We are happy to hear of any ideas or creative input you have with regards to the running and promoting of the rally.

The Australia wide rallies are a great idea, we have to remain focussed on the bsl issues and not get drawn into infighting between different factions, the only agenda is saving innocent dogs from a barbaric legislation and educating the public and media about unfair prejudice about breed bans that have been proven to be ineffective.

I look forward to attending Adelaides rally and have been encouraging people to come and show their support :)