Two Separate Dog Attacks In One Week

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

I live in Brisbane and I have heard from colleagues at work from 2 separate dog attacks in Brisbane this week, one was a gorgeous chocolate lab attacked while being walked by 2 bull breeds (and the owners were in sight, assholes!!) and another was a 9kg german shepherd puppy who was killed in his own yard after the next door neighbours dog got under the fence. this dog apparently is a family dog, has never shown aggression and lives with 3 kids. This makes me so sad and nervous when walking my little one, the owner who had the GSD die said to carry a stanley knife when we go walking, she said this with utter seriousness, is that a bit OTT?

i hate hearing stories like this :cry:

Not harsh, I used to use the clip in the lead to hit other dogs if i thought they were serious. I would let my dog off, hold him by the collar and swing the clip in a circle, amazing how much that hurts if it gets you..... Another reason I used to let the dog off the lead was that I didnt want him getting tangled if it can to a fight, I gave him the best chance he was going to get. I'm talking being attacked by camp dogs that have no respect for people, tho, if I thought I would be able to scare the other dog off I always tried first.

The standley knife tho, in the NT that would be considered carry control use prohibited weapon. So no knives. Plus it would be very hard to kill another dog with a knife in one move, could end up very messay.

Guest donatella

i'm not sure i could kill another dog even if i tried, even in self defence. you just hear so many stories about dog attacks when walking but you can't keep your dog wrapped in cotton wool. mine weighs 3kg so i could pick her up but the attacking dog would most likely jump up and try and grab her from my arms. maybe i need to get a crop type stick or something. a weapon to defend but not kill.

I hope these people are reporting the attacks; especially the poor shepherd pup owner. Otherwise the door is being left open for the same thing to happen. Police should be called if there is immediate danger (eg being attacked on a walk) and most councils have a hotline to call for dog attacks. Action needs to be taken on dangerous dogs, owners need to be held accountable.

Sad.

Why aren't these stories making the news? In my book, a dog killing a puppy in the puppy's own yard is almost as serious as killing a child. It certainly shows the same degree of owner irresponsibility, and could easily result in a child getting killed next time.

Guest donatella

the attack on the labrador has been reported to the council as we absolutely made him do it, there is no buts or maybes in that instance when you are attacked unprovoked when walking your dog, you have every right to feel safe. luckily in this instance the lab hit the floor on his back immediately in submission, if he had of tried to fight back against 2 dogs it could have been a lot worse, he's injured but will live (thank goodness).

the german shephard pup story is just a tragedy. the owners have offered the dog up for euthanasia but are arguing that its never attacked before and it lives in a home with 3 kids. i don't think the council euthanize dog vs dog attacks, they'll just have to follow dangerous dog rules and the dog will be flagged in the system. appaerently the owners husband is just devastated, crying so upset :cry:

what if is was a little squealing toddler or a crying baby in a pram and not a puppy?????

Dog aggression and human aggression are two very different things.

ETA - Do you know what breed of dog it was that attacked and killed the pup? Just curious.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

Guest donatella

what if is was a little squealing toddler or a crying baby in a pram and not a puppy?????

Dog aggression and human aggression are two very different things.

ETA - Do you know what breed of dog it was that attacked and killed the pup? Just curious.

i spoke to the girl on the phone but completely forgot to ask what breed it was as she was upset, but i'm back at work on monday so I'll be able to ask her then. all she said was that it was a family dog with 3 kids and had never shown any signs of aggression prior to the pup attack.

I live in Brisbane and I have heard from colleagues at work from 2 separate dog attacks in Brisbane this week, one was a gorgeous chocolate lab attacked while being walked by 2 bull breeds (and the owners were in sight, assholes!!) and another was a 9kg german shepherd puppy who was killed in his own yard after the next door neighbours dog got under the fence. this dog apparently is a family dog, has never shown aggression and lives with 3 kids. This makes me so sad and nervous when walking my little one, the owner who had the GSD die said to carry a stanley knife when we go walking, she said this with utter seriousness, is that a bit OTT?

WHAT are you going to do exactly with a stanley knife?

It's not going to kill the attacking dog

and apart from show up how slow your comparative reflexes are

it would only exacerbate the situation and cause the dog to attack with more fervor.

lol

Guest donatella

WHAT are you going to do exactly with a stanley knife?

It's not going to kill the attacking dog

and apart from show up how slow your comparative reflexes are

it would only exacerbate the situation and cause the dog to attack with more fervor.

lol

you could kill with a stanley knife if you hit the neck and sever the carotid. but that would never be my aim, i could never personally kill a dog! i would do a whole lot of kicking and screaming most likely

you could kill with a stanley knife if you hit the neck and sever the carotid.

Hah. You're more likely to cut your fingers off than manage to successfully aim for, hit and sever the carotid artery on a dog in the middle of a dogfight.

Then when you've no fingers the attacking dog will probably bite you because you pissed it off. Or eat your severed fingers, omnomnom.

Guest donatella

you could kill with a stanley knife if you hit the neck and sever the carotid.

Hah. You're more likely to cut your fingers off than manage to successfully aim for, hit and sever the carotid artery on a dog in the middle of a dogfight.

Then when you've no fingers the attacking dog will probably bite you because you pissed it off. Or eat your severed fingers, omnomnom.

:laugh: i completely agree, but if its got hold of your dog you've got better aim to make a stab.

i'd never do it, i think its completely over the top but you could definitely do damage with a stanley knife IF you were in the situation.