Oscar Puppy Itchy

terrace

I dont measure exactly but in a 500ml bottle its probably about a teaspoon of the oil but if your dog looks oily then dilute it more

We bathed Oscar in Aloveen and then with Alpha Keri today. I hear Aloe Vera is good too. :thumbsup:

Jackson used to have hotspots all the time until we started washing him in QV. We tried several other dog specific shampoos before that but they didn't work as well for him.

It seemed to me that the QV took away some of the courseness of his coat though. We never showed him but it could be something to think about.

Go see your Vet and if you can't get it cleared up get a referral to a Dermatologist. The earlier you deal with it the better.

Vets charge, we`ll try other ways first. :cheers:

Everything i stuffed around with trying first cost more than just seeing the dermatologist. There is no easy quick fix for allergies and thats a fact. I have gone without heaps of stuff to get my dog the correct treatment thats what owning a dog is all about!!

Go see your Vet and if you can't get it cleared up get a referral to a Dermatologist. The earlier you deal with it the better.

Everything i stuffed around with trying first cost more than just seeing the dermatologist. There is no easy quick fix for allergies and thats a fact. I have gone without heaps of stuff to get my dog the correct treatment thats what owning a dog is all about!!

Yes that`s true. We have just tried Aloveen (oatmeal) but it could be that made the itch worse. The itch is under his front arms if that`s what it`s called. How did you find a dermatologist for your dog, through your vet?? :) Edited by terrace

How did you find a dermatologist for your dog, through your vet??

that works.. or you can make a new post on DOL in the health forum, maybe asking for recommendations from people near where you are?

if it is an allergy, Allergies are hard, as you need to find the cause ..not just try and treat the symptoms .Causes can be anything from food to cleaning chemicals to pollen to a plant... best of luck with it ..

Ok, I find that really off. Of course Vets charge....that's what experts do....you know, train in their given field for 5 years.

You culd spend money changing shampoos and food without either of those being the problem.

I hope your dog doesn't have allergic skin disease because then you'll really find out how much these things cost.

Good luck with it all.

Ok, I find that really off. Of course Vets charge....that's what experts do....you know, train in their given field for 5 years.

You culd spend money changing shampoos and food without either of those being the problem.

I hope your dog doesn't have allergic skin disease because then you'll really find out how much these things cost.

Good luck with it all.

Vets charge a lot. We have to try our way and see how it goes, so best to leave it at that for now you know EH? :rolleyes:

post-39771-0-31059100-1319402143_thumb.gif

It could also be food related, I have two Staffy's that are alergic to beef, which seems to be a common issue with Staffies. They dont get skin reactions but do reverse sneeze constantly.

My two get washed with Malseb which seems to be fine.

Also look out for paw licking and ear scratcing, which I have a few issues with, but this seems to be more plant \ pollon related than food related.

Hi, which Malaseb did you use, shampoo or medicated shampoo?? :)

Malaseb dries out the skin. Only use it if the vet recommends it because it's only supposed to be used for certain issues.

Note as well - if you try and treat the cause and the skin gets an infection because of excessive scratching and spreading bacteria, you will end up having to go to the vet for Antibiotics and possibly a steroid if it's bad enough. If a vet can help you diagnose and treat the problem before this occurs, you will save the dog a lot of pain and discomfort. I understand not wanting to go to the vet straight up but the longer you leave the issue, the longer it will take to treat the cause because of secondary infections etc, so if the shampoo's don't help and food changes don't help, seek out a vet :)

Itchy skin is quite common in young Staffords unfortunately. Kiara had such bad skin that it looked like mange and she was red raw in places :( We had tests at the vet and they couldn't find out what was wrong so she was put on antibiotics. The antibiotics worked until they ran out and she was off them for a few days. The vets recommended that she just stays on antibiotics for the rest of her life which I was not happy with. I switched her to a raw diet and it cleared up within a week :thumbsup: . You don't have to feed raw because I know it can be a hassle for some people, but as others have said try eliminating grains and beef from his diet and see how that goes. Ideally try eliminating all red meats at the beginning and add new things gradually until you find the culprit. Also try and stop him from rolling in grass because that can cause itchy skin too. Give the diet change a go and if there is no diffrence or it gets worse you really should see a vet regardless of how much they charge or it's not really fair on Oscar. Good luck :)

Itchy skin is quite common in young Staffords unfortunately. Kiara had such bad skin that it looked like mange and she was red raw in places :( We had tests at the vet and they couldn't find out what was wrong so she was put on antibiotics. The antibiotics worked until they ran out and she was off them for a few days. The vets recommended that she just stays on antibiotics for the rest of her life which I was not happy with. I switched her to a raw diet and it cleared up within a week :thumbsup: . You don't have to feed raw because I know it can be a hassle for some people, but as others have said try eliminating grains and beef from his diet and see how that goes. Ideally try eliminating all red meats at the beginning and add new things gradually until you find the culprit. Also try and stop him from rolling in grass because that can cause itchy skin too. Give the diet change a go and if there is no diffrence or it gets worse you really should see a vet regardless of how much they charge or it's not really fair on Oscar. Good luck :)

Oscar`s coming along quite good, the itch is rare now after persisting with "Paw Paw ointment" . :thumbsup: