Oscar Puppy Itchy

terrace

Our puppy Oscar has been itchy on his tummy recently. Could you suggest something that may ease it? He goes for quite a while without scratching and then does for a period. We removed "Rhoeo" plants (Moses)(photo attached) which i heard cause allergies on dogs.

post-39771-0-11412500-1316652906_thumb.jpg

Edited by terrace

You could try bathing him in an oatmeal based shampoo too as this works wonders to soothe dry, itchy skin. How old is your puppy because the scratching could be caused by something like shedding. He'll be starting to lose his winter coat, not to mention lose his puppy fur will be starting to grow his adult coat.

I'm not sure, but these might also act as itchy triggers.

You could try bathing him in an oatmeal based shampoo too as this works wonders to soothe dry, itchy skin. How old is your puppy because the scratching could be caused by something like shedding. He'll be starting to lose his winter coat, not to mention lose his puppy fur will be starting to grow his adult coat.

I'm not sure, but these might also act as itchy triggers.

Yep agree with the shampoo RA...Aloveen (oatmeal & Aloe based ) is a good shampoo to try, it is very gentle & soothing for irritaded skin. :)

Edited by Baileys mum

Thanks for mentioning the Aloveen BM because I forgot to put it in my post. I use it on Zeus and not only does it smell great, it is a fantastically gentle shampoo.

Thank You for all your replies. Someone mentioned Alpha Keri wash also, but i`ll check out Aloveen too. What do you think? :D

post-39771-0-98246500-1316660549_thumb.jpg

I use QV on my itchy dog...

i've never thought to use QV on the dog! :thumbsup: We use Aloveen with Wilbur but i'll try QV next bath time. We use/buy the huge pump packs of QV as neither of my children can use soap.

Is that QV wash? :)

We are having the same issue with our 4 month old pup. I was going to give him a bath using an oatmeal shampoo. OH wants to take him to the vet and get their opinion

Yes we have been discussing that, but we haven`t seen him scratching since doing his underside with "Alpha Keri" wash before lunch, but i suppose there`s many to use. :)

Yup the QV wash, got told to use it by the derm. If they have a dry skin u can dilute qv oil in a spray bottle and spray them after bathing. Works well. My itchy dog cannot use oatmeal shampoo's makes him heaps worse

Thanks. How much would you dilute it? :)

It could also be food related, I have two Staffy's that are alergic to beef, which seems to be a common issue with Staffies. They dont get skin reactions but do reverse sneeze constantly.

My two get washed with Malseb which seems to be fine.

Also look out for paw licking and ear scratcing, which I have a few issues with, but this seems to be more plant \ pollon related than food related.

Staffords on the whole do not do well with a lot of grain, fillers, colours and preservatives in their diet. Take a look at what you are feeding.

It could also be a contact allergy but the best place to start with an itchy SBT is the diet.

I will check it out. :)

post-39771-0-83477600-1316907005_thumb.gif