• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Jarvis

That is a non dangerous snake

marsh snake..

Species name:(Hemiaspis signata)

Also known as Black-bellied Swamp Snake, Swamp Snake and Grass Snake.

It is mildly venomous.

Bites from this species have been known to cause

severe local symptoms such as pain & swelling,

with more general reactions such as headaches and nausea also recorded.

All bites should still be treated immediately and attended to with correct first aid.

Usually gets to 50cm and sometimes 70cm.

Likes to live in rainforest & moist well-vegetated areas such as wet sclerophyll forest, margins of creeks, dams, wetlands & low-lying seasonally flooded areas.

Diurnal, although may also be active at night in hot weather. Shelters under rocks, sheets of bark and thick debris. Eats small frogs and lizards and skink eggs

Had a tiger here in our side paddock last Saturday, the first and hopefully last we'll see so close to the house and dog yards. They usually stay down near the dam and in the shed in the far paddock, places we won't go at this time of year :laugh:

Okay - have been trying to figure out how to protect the yard and have realised with 3 odd acres - its not possible, except for the obvious like keeping paddocks mowed, rubbish removed etc etc....so will just concentrate on the dog runs and supervision when the dogs are in the house yard. (Finding the snake in the front yard on Monday has been doing my head in ever since :eek: )

So how do I protect the the dog runs???? I will post a piccie of the dog runs tonight (assuming I figure out how to load up photos), but essentially the dogs runs are about 8 x 6 metres and about 5 metres in height. The back part of the kennel/box part sits flush with the edge of the concrete pad but where the box runs forward into the run part that sits inside of the concrete pad (courtesy of a builder who couldnt measure properly), so for the length of the box and run you have about a 5 inch space of concrete until you hit the run and fencing (hope that makes sense).

Effectively that stops me from running flywire or anything down the sides of the run straight into the ground. Im thinking the only to secure the dog runs is to run another fence completely around the outside of the dog runs about a metre away?? Does that make sense and if so - how high would it need to be (given we only have copperheads) - would a 1 or two foot barrier do the job? Also how do people manage any gates in snake/barrier fencing to make sure snakes dont squeeze through??? :confused:

Would appreciate any comments/advice???

Thanks

I train and compete in retrieving events, thus spending quite a bit of time in paddocks.

The snakes I do NOT see terrify me the most!! I tend to check areas where I will be training my dogs. Snakes wrap around grasses eeeck!!! I stay away from water with cover. Dams with no cover around the edges are OK. Cannot be completely paranoid, can I, can I, can I???

Farmers think I am phobic. They like snakes. I see the farmers point, but......!!!

I train and compete in retrieving events, thus spending quite a bit of time in paddocks.

The snakes I do NOT see terrify me the most!! I tend to check areas where I will be training my dogs. Snakes wrap around grasses eeeck!!! I stay away from water with cover. Dams with no cover around the edges are OK. Cannot be completely paranoid, can I, can I, can I???

Farmers think I am phobic. They like snakes. I see the farmers point, but......!!!

You are braver than me.........

Wouldnt get me anywhere near a paddock with grass any longer than a couple of inches!

Following on from my earlier post, here are some pics of the dog runs. If anyone has any useful suggestions on how to snake proof would really really appreciate same. :thumbsup:

And hopefully this has worked!

Cheerspost-37379-0-78421700-1320912535_thumb.jpg

Hmmmm

What do you think of the idea of attatching either shade cloth or snake mesh and bending it so that a couple of inches are flat onto the cement and then using galvanised strapping dynabolted with small dyna bolts into the concrete?

I would go at least a metre high.

You would of course have to do under the doors as well and on the doors. I have used thin conveyer type rubber around the doors. It is attatched to one side and shuts up against the other side of the frame. Alternatively you need to make your doors shut into angle steel with no gaps.

I would make sure all around the bottom of the wood house had no gaps and if it did I would use expanding foan to fill them up.

Hope that gives you an idea or two even if they are not exactly what you are after :)

Wouldnt get me anywhere near a paddock with grass any longer than a couple of inches!

Who me? Brave??? You may laugh, but every time I asked a farmer to use their land, I have enquired "how often they see snakes in the warmer months." I often wondered why they - looked at me funny!!!!!!

Long suffering husband and I have a gully running along the edge of our property. Thick as!!! No one ever goes into it, apart the some Dept of Sustainability and Environment staff (check dept - whatever they are called). They report HUGE snakes. Never seen 'em myself. Been here 15 years. I would love to keep chickens.

O the good snakes stories we could tell. Snakes are retiring/shy creatures...so THEY SAY.

Friends golf at Cranbourne. They have frequent frights. Tooradin pet property owners....NOW, they are brave.

Snake catcher...you are my hero. Mad (in a good way).

Edited by Lablover

Following on from my earlier post, here are some pics of the dog runs. If anyone has any useful suggestions on how to snake proof would really really appreciate same. :thumbsup:

Hmmmm

What do you think of the idea of attatching either shade cloth or snake mesh and bending it so that a couple of inches are flat onto the cement and then using galvanised strapping dynabolted with small dyna bolts into the concrete?

You would of course have to do under the doors as well and on the doors. I have used thin conveyer type rubber around the doors. It is attatched to one side and shuts up against the other side of the frame. Alternatively you need to make your doors shut into angle steel with no gaps.

I would make sure all around the bottom of the wood house had no gaps and if it did I would use expanding foan to fill them up.

Hope that gives you an idea or two even if they are not exactly what you are after :)

Thanks Ososwift - thats exactly the type of info I was after. :thumbsup:

Im planning on running shade cloth completely over the wooden section at the back of the runs - dug into the ground and the sides I have already filled with expanding foam.

I am still trying to get my head around your description of how you handle the doors on your runs...you dont by any chance have a photo of them?

Cheers

Who me? Brave??? You may laugh, but every time I asked a farmer to use their land, I have enquired "how often they see snakes in the warmer months." I often wondered why they - looked at me funny!!!!!!

Nope, no laughing here.....I think I saw that look on the snake catchers face, when I was tormenting the poor woman with a 101 questions. I think she was close to telling me to move to NZ. :D

Friends golf at Cranbourne. They have frequent frights. Tooradin pet property owners....NOW, they are brave.

That one has gone over my head....please explain :laugh:

Snake catcher...you are my hero. Mad (in a good way).

x 2 :thumbsup:

Sandra asked

Is there a species of venomous snake which typically has bright green patches on it? The rest of the snake was brown-ish but there were areas of uneven bright green markings.

Where in Queensland are you sandra.?

The colour of a lot of species of snake is so variable that I.D is real hard without a pic

Could be a tigersnake..

As far as the dog runs go, i cant stress how important it is to give the snake no where to hide and no reason to visit.Employ some poultry to work as early warning systems and snake deterents.'

Today i was called to this tigersnake in Mt Eliza and i managed to get footage of the capture and release.

Sandra asked

Is there a species of venomous snake which typically has bright green patches on it? The rest of the snake was brown-ish but there were areas of uneven bright green markings.

Where in Queensland are you sandra.?

The colour of a lot of species of snake is so variable that I.D is real hard without a pic

Could be a tigersnake..

As far as the dog runs go, i cant stress how important it is to give the snake no where to hide and no reason to visit.Employ some poultry to work as early warning systems and snake deterents.'

Today i was called to this tigersnake in Mt Eliza and i managed to get footage of the capture and release.

can not believe you were moving the wood with your hands :o nice looking snake though

Hmmmm

Thanks Ososwift - thats exactly the type of info I was after. :thumbsup:

Im planning on running shade cloth completely over the wooden section at the back of the runs - dug into the ground and the sides I have already filled with expanding foam.

I am still trying to get my head around your description of how you handle the doors on your runs...you dont by any chance have a photo of them?

Cheers

Yep will find it for you. Incidentally I snake meshed to the roof on mine, but they are smaller than yours.

post-23623-0-96217500-1320929670_thumb.jpg

post-23623-0-90663900-1320929683_thumb.jpg

Thanks Ososwift.

In the 2nd picture it looks like you have another wall/barrier running the outside of your runs? Or is it just too early in the morning and Im not seeing it right? Your runs look like they sit directly on the ground?? And how to you go hosing the runs out?

Am really spewing now builder didnt measure correctly as it would be so much easier to run meshing straight down the walls past the edge of the slab straight into the ground. Am wondering whether it would be more secure to build another barrier/snake proof fence a meter high around the outside of the runs to ensure there arent any gaps??? That would be a bigger job, but would rather do it right the first time.

Cheers