Litters Due In December 2011

Bilbo Baggins

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Which means leaving them in the bedroom which gets very hot in the afternoon...... Hmmm will have to think of a way to keep the room cool enough without a draught.

The pups will let you know if they are too warm! They will have their mouths open and they will also cry.

Living in humid Queensland I found a summer litter hard work - well harder than a winter litter unless you have air-conditioning.

I had my summer litter 2 years ago in my bedroom and found it too hot from about 10am onwards. I had a fan blowing over the top and used partially frozen hot water bottles which they fought over haha! This was fine except they don't stay cold long enough and I needed to rotate 4 bottles - 2 in the freezer while 2 in the box. A bigger whelping box would have helped a bit I think! I hated that I had to keep my girl out of the box some of the time as she generated too much heat. I used cotton sheets during the day and would change to something warmer in the evening.

My bitch likes her privacy so I couldn't have her out in the family room. She'd actually prefer to raise her litters in the cupboard if she could :laugh: No other dogs are allowed full stop or she will fly at them!

Every bitch is different of course and we've had ones that allow the other family dogs to peer into the whelping box, and don't seem to care to much about privacy.

Yesterday's photo with a week to go (maybe less, hard to say for sure). I've tried to encourage her to hang around the house but she wants to be in this crate and will always go back into it unless she is sleeping on bed at night (and she won't go there until I go :laugh: ). She is eating SOOOOOO much but it has to be fancy pants stuff, not boring old kibble :laugh: .

5December.jpg

Took her temp today for the first time and it was only 36.9 but she ate like a piggy still this morning. She has been doing a little digging over the last few days but nothing like I'm used to in our whelping rescue bitches so I will be surprised if she does go within the next 24 hours. If she took from the natural tie she would be due on Friday but as her prog test was only 2 on that day we're expecting her to go more likely over the weekend.

Took her temp today for the first time and it was only 36.9 but she ate like a piggy still this morning. She has been doing a little digging over the last few days but nothing like I'm used to in our whelping rescue bitches so I will be surprised if she does go within the next 24 hours. If she took from the natural tie she would be due on Friday but as her prog test was only 2 on that day we're expecting her to go more likely over the weekend.

Mine don't really bother to do any digging, so don't take that as a sign of things not happening!