Litters Due In December 2011

Bilbo Baggins

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL trust me Saffioraire she was a bloody big sook!!! She is a fabulous mum but she whined, cried, growled and barked her way through every contraction :laugh: . When the first pup was born she jumped out of the whelping box in fright and splattered blood everywhere but by the time the third pup was born she was very confident and she barely made a sound for the fourth.

Trisven, my girl did not utter a single sound the entire time but she didn't quite get what these 'things' were all about until puppy number 5 (which happened to be black like her ?Coincidence - probably!) at which point she promptly took over chewing off cords etc. However she wasn't interested in settling in with them until they were all done and she'd been outside to pee. After that she had a bit of a look, sniff and decided she'd feed them! I'm hoping next time around she'll work it out straight away! I'm thinking this is not unusual?

By the way, so cute - huge congrats!!

Congratulations Trisven!!

Jazz did the same as Marie and no way was she getting back in the box while the thing was in there, I had a few moments of panic at the thought of hand raising the expected litter of 8 or 9. Puppy number 2 her reaction was the same (but only 20 mins between them so no time for her to get over number 1). At a more experienced breeders suggestion we gently held her and attached the 2 pups, as soon as they attached it was like a switch flipped and she was off and knew exactly what to do with the rest and I gave a huge sigh of relief.

Yeah we did the same. It was one of those times whilst whelping that I was really thankful for the experiences I'd had whilst whelping rescue litters as we had to do that on a rescue bitch once. She was honestly the noisiest bitch I've ever had whelp, even louder than the greyhound bitch who ruptured her uterus! If she was a woman she'd be one of those who grab their husband on the balls during labour :laugh:

I must admit I love the stripes and was quite disappointed that only one got the darker stripes - here is a pic of Yellow when she was born (not great quality as I was getting very, very tired at this point :laugh: ). Fauve pups can also be born with what they call "punch eye" where they have black rings around their eyes or with quite a bit of black in their coats that falls out as they age. Those are the pups that are a stunning red.

11December010.jpg