Litters Due In December 2011

Bilbo Baggins

Ok so I've made my own solution.

Ribbed cord ribbon, comes in many colours and sizes, and a press stud gun. Press stud gun cost me about $8 Ribbed ribbon was $0.60 per metre. So you can put 2/3 studs on each length of ribbon to make them adjustable or just make new ones every so often. It's REALLY easy !

Just make sure you can get replacement studs that fit the gun, unlike my STUPID Spotlight store that stocked a gun and studs of a completely different size. doh.gif

Great idea, will keep this in mind if/when I breed another litter. Lots of fun is had with this baby :thumbsup:

383810_333700749976299_100000091313049_1420228_922173145_a.jpg

Now that machine means business.

I am quite thankful my breeds comes in a multitude of colours and markings and generally no collars are required :)

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clever little Red who is learning how to "walk" rather than creep.

20DecemberRed.jpg

The pups are 9 days old today and I think we'll have eyes starting to open in the next day or two. :thumbsup: They all have their collars off now as McKenzie was right, I could tell the difference between them without the collars.

ETA thought I'd add a picture of my favourite too - yes I know I shouldn't have a favourite this early but I just love her rich red colour. :laugh: No doubt because I love her colour she'll be the most obvious pet at 8 weeks ;) .

20DecemberYellow.jpg

Nawwwwwwwww :love:

Ok so I've made my own solution.

Ribbed cord ribbon, comes in many colours and sizes, and a press stud gun. Press stud gun cost me about $8 Ribbed ribbon was $0.60 per metre. So you can put 2/3 studs on each length of ribbon to make them adjustable or just make new ones every so often. It's REALLY easy !

Just make sure you can get replacement studs that fit the gun, unlike my STUPID Spotlight store that stocked a gun and studs of a completely different size. doh.gif

Great idea, will keep this in mind if/when I breed another litter. Lots of fun is had with this baby :thumbsup:

Now that machine means business.

I am quite thankful my breeds comes in a multitude of colours and markings and generally no collars are required :)

Yep - gets the job done fast.

Think I will do a few practice collars and see how they go - but must admit I am worried about puppies chewing the plastic snaps off. Idea is good but not sure if it will be practical. Probably no different that normal plastic buckles on collars - but worth trying.

Would be lovely having a breed that comes in a variety of colors. :laugh:

Ooohh I think you both are very brave calling litters "Crazy" names :laugh: You must let us know how they all turn out or whether some live up to their names :D

The puppy can't be any crazier then her mother :laugh:

Crazy comes with "Attitude" :thumbsup:

They don't call Shimmer 'Snake Eyes' for nothing :laugh:

Think I will do a few practice collars and see how they go - but must admit I am worried about puppies chewing the plastic snaps off. Idea is good but not sure if it will be practical. Probably no different that normal plastic buckles on collars - but worth trying.

I was talking about this earlier with Rebanne, those little parts could be eaten with ease, compared to a plastic buckle - both can be eaten, but the little press studs would be gone in a second.

I was talking about this earlier with Rebanne, those little parts could be eaten with ease, compared to a plastic buckle - both can be eaten, but the little press studs would be gone in a second.

Yes I agree, those plastic press studs would disappear very quickly and then the potential consequences could be very nasty.

I always say Whippets can be a real colour lottery potentially :) Adds to the excitment :D

Edited by OSoSwift

At what point do you re-introduce your existing dogs to mum? For the first 5 days or so after the pups were born Marie would growl at Daphne as she walked past her crate on her way to the toilet but hasn't since then. She sniffs her now, wags her tail etc and has always wanted to interact with the boys. She is also starting to want to spend more time away from the pups - 15-20 minutes at a time. I think Marie is really wanting to catch up with the others now.

Jazz was never kept away from our other dogs. They were kept out of the whelping room but if she chose to leave it or when going to the toilet she would interact fine with them. I did find at first she would only toilet if everyone was outside and if anyone headed to the door she would bolt past them and straight back to the room.

The pups were probably 4 weeks or so before she let them near them, and then to begin with it was with a very cautious eye on them.

Edited by piper

I've kept her away because she was a bit growly with Daphne but I think we might let her hang out again this afternoon and see how they go.

Here is a picture of Campbell with Yellow who has her eyes open the most (not such a great photo of Campbell but the good ones of Campbell are bad ones of Yellow :laugh: )

23December002.jpg

Let her decide when she is ready to share her pups.

Piper (Rottweiler)was happy to show the world asap, have pics of Lizzy in the whelping box with Piper when Lizzy was a puppy and Muffin (elderly Maltese) sleeping just out of the box. Lizzy (Pug)waited 3 weeks before she was ready share with the others.

How do you know though when they're in different rooms? Do I bring the whelping box out to the same room as the other dogs but keep them in their crate? It was never an issue with the rescue dogs as they weren't "friends" with my dogs if that makes sense? Daphne & Marie normally share a crate and do everything together.

I had a baby gate across the door to the whelping room, initially the others just walking past that would see her jumping out of the box and standing across the gate to prevent them even seeing in, after a bit she stopped that and also became more relaxed out of the room. When she was happy to spend time out of the room and did not react to them going near the baby gate I started letting the others in the room. To begin with she would not let them go near the box, they could come and sit on the spare bed with me but Jazz would stand by the box watching. I was lucky though that she was never growly or aggro and just used her body to keep them away. When Jessi, the disobedient beagle, decided to ignore her standing there and try and get closer she literally came away from the box pushed her backwards towards me. over time the distance just reduced but she never relaxed with them around while she was feeding so I would always make sure they were out of the room if Jazz wanted to get in and feed.

So I guess I just used common sense and went on her reactions as well as the other dogs. Jazz allowed Piper in closer quicker than Jessi but Piper is far more respectful of body language and space than Jessi is so would not push it if Jazz gave any indicatiion of being uncomfortable with it.

Thanks Piper - my intuition is telling me that the time is right to re-introduce Daphne & Marie to hanging out together without pups and I'll see how that goes. Now that the pups have eyes open they'll start hanging out with us more in the loungeroom.

I never separate the dogs. They work it out themselves. They go near the box Mum lifts a lip or a growl and they walk away.

By 3-4 days Mum is over it. :laugh: :laugh:

The others always "help" weigh the pups. But mine have never shown any change towards one another during cycles or pregnancy.

They are always around "helping" with whelping as well. Washing pups and keeping warm if things get tricky.

Have to find some photos.

As you know from staying with me multiple times BB my dogs normally get along like a house on fire but ever since Marie came back from her mating this time she has been a little nigglier than normal. Nothing major - just a growl and dominant body language and Daphne backs down - but I'm also very, very conscious of making sure that they don't have anything major happen as I want them to go back to being the best of buds like they always have been.

As you know from staying with me multiple times BB my dogs normally get along like a house on fire but ever since Marie came back from her mating this time she has been a little nigglier than normal. Nothing major - just a growl and dominant body language and Daphne backs down - but I'm also very, very conscious of making sure that they don't have anything major happen as I want them to go back to being the best of buds like they always have been.

I accidently posted before I finished writing.

I know they have has issues. Is Marie staying outside after a wee longer?? If so I would have them both out there and see how it goes. Neutral territory. I assume you are putting Marie in the run to wee.

Who usually runs together aprt from Daph and Marie??