Litters Due In December 2011

Bilbo Baggins

I think they like the security of the 'cave' more so then the openess of a whelping box

I put a pen around the whelping box and covered and pegged it with layers of empty doona covers, top and around, all except the front which I left exposed. Cozy.

Worked nicely and kept the drafts out.

Yes, that is what I do with mine, but I tend to have litters in the cooler end of the UK year, not have to contend with a hot Oz summer, so would that make a difference to how 'wrapped up' the whelping area is?

I'm in the outer east of Melbourne and the weather is VERY changable here compared to up North. We really don't get a stable summer til after Christmas/New Years. Most of our hot weather starts mid January through to March. It was actually quite cold the first few days the pup was born and I put a heater on in the room. But there is the odd hot day, then cool evenings. If it were very hot I'd just use sheets and not as many layers, just to keep it draft free as my house is old and it's amazing how you can feel the drafts if you get down low on the floor.

My main concern was keeping the singleton comfortable as she doesn't have a puppy huddle should she get cold. She has a heat matt which covers only the front area of the box and mum tends to lay herself on the outside of that while pup lays on the mat when cold but when hot is found around the peripheral of the box.

It is making me wonder when I should do my "return mating" as I have another go due to the one pup. She would be due in March so May pups ready to leave in July? The coldest part of the year. Do people buy puppies in Winter? :confused:

Or this time of year again? And if she misses, do I wait or just do it?

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And Kes due Xmas day.....word of warning..if you see us at shows in early January...probably want to tread lightly due to lack of sleep and such!

That's where working night shift and surviving on three hour sleep lots twice a day has been an advantage to me!

Liz T, I had a winter litter due Early July went early September, no problems at all having enough good buyers. However I was so worried about the pups keeping warm as here in Toowoomba (well slightly south) it can get really cold and the house we're renting at the moment gets very cold too. It was -6 the morning the pups were born. I'm all for the summer litter now, if we move to Brissy I guess a winter litter might be a different story.