Perth Royal Show

Faolmor

Makes for a long day when you are nonawarded. But goodonya for getting BOB with Fionni thumbsup1.gif

Be honest, how was it having the agility going on in the ring next door? Its the first year we have had this as usually we are tucked away in a corner at the far end of the show grounds.

I will be there tomorrow with 4 kids for obedience.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What?! She was non awarded? She is stunning!! How very bizarre?! It was quiet and lifeless last year too :-(

Hope the BOB winners enjoy the worm tablets they're offering as the prize this year :laugh: (Though I have to say, it is nice to have SOME form of sponsorship this year. I'm not ungrateful. But worm tablets are a bit...unglamorous! And wI'm not sure Fionni will be thrilled with his prize when it's shoved down his throat :rofl:)

Just a weird day overall. There were hardly any dogs there and the hall felt empty and lifeless - not to mention stinking hot and stuffy. Judging was all done before 12pm, which made for a very long afternoon. The usual interesting judging decisions - including my own bitch, who was non-awarded! Interesting decision - and interesting reason given by the judge, since she was a two-times European specialty winner :laugh: Oh well. Luck of the day, I guess!

No break given to exhibitors over lunch, so the public were there ALL day. Of course, having Irish Setters, that meant dealing with the "they're so stupid!" comments non-stop...which wears VERY VERY thin after the 200th time...

Also, the only warning we had to get ready for judging was the final, "Get to the ring now!" call. Which of course happened while my husband and child were next door in another pavilion. Standing there with two ungroomed dogs, no leads, no numbers, and no handler...a bit stressful. Big thanks to SparkyTansy for all her help...and for nearly having to step into the ring in her civvies to handle my hastily dog lol

Anyway, back on Saturday for BIG with my boy, so we get to enjoy it all over again!

Best of luck to everyone today and for the rest of the week.

Edited by Whipitgood

I would say the highlight of my day (even over having to run through the crowd to get the irish to the ring) was wanting to deck a woman who wanted to breed her english setter, and didn't care if she produced hip dysplasia, only to save the poor owners having to go to "all that trouble" of having to buy an ES over east. sometimes, no amount of kind explanation will do it, and I did lose my temper in the end. I'm just glad that there are so few ES in WA she'd have trouble breeding anyway.

Just a note to other exhibitors, just be aware of what is going on in the ring - not all the breeds were called and the judging went rather quickly.

I am looking forward to being judged by Eberhadjt on Friday with the weimaraners. Of course I'm not sure how we will go, but hopefully it will be an enjoyable day.

I thought it was good to have the agility going on right next door. it drew the crowds. I do think that they should have given the agility exhibitors opportunity to sit in the benches, though... there is plenty of bench space and probably will be on most days, given the entry is down.

I would say the highlight of my day (even over having to run through the crowd to get the irish to the ring) was wanting to deck a woman who wanted to breed her english setter, and didn't care if she produced hip dysplasia, only to save the poor owners having to go to "all that trouble" of having to buy an ES over east. sometimes, no amount of kind explanation will do it, and I did lose my temper in the end. I'm just glad that there are so few ES in WA she'd have trouble breeding anyway.

Just a note to other exhibitors, just be aware of what is going on in the ring - not all the breeds were called and the judging went rather quickly.

I am looking forward to being judged by Eberhadjt on Friday with the weimaraners. Of course I'm not sure how we will go, but hopefully it will be an enjoyable day.

I thought it was good to have the agility going on right next door. it drew the crowds. I do think that they should have given the agility exhibitors opportunity to sit in the benches, though... there is plenty of bench space and probably will be on most days, given the entry is down.

Exactly why I could not work a breed stand, I have enough trouble trying to convince "morons' there is NO such thing as an ALLERGY FREE breed! If you are there Tuesday L will see you then, otherwise good luck for Fri!

I think they need to review the PA system in the pavilion. It is extremely difficult to hear any announcements over the general crowd noise. They need a sharper, louder PA - and until they do, it should be a woman giving the announcements, because it is almost impossible to hear a man's voice over that deep hum of noise.

That would have been good ST - the agility competitor area was so so squishy yesterday, made me very glad I didn't enter - my dogs (or I) couldn't deal with being squished in so badly!

I like the new location of the agility & obedience ring though - it was pulling a good crowd and it was good to have almost all the dog stuff in one area.

I really liked where the new agility/obedience ring is setup– if I'm not competing, that is :laugh: It was a great spot for some really great exposure for our sports instead of being tucked away in the corner where only people coming and going out of that entrance really saw us. But because it was such a high traffic area, my dogs would no way cope with that level of distraction (read lack of distraction proofing in my training :o) Loved the atmosphere as a spectator (went to watch agility yesterday, and reeeeaaaally want to be there today to watch obedience but alas, I have to work :() I did notice that the crowds were drawn to the agility yesterday while the breed showing ring was a little empty. But even though I find obedience interesting to watch, I'd be interested to find out if it pulls a similar crowd to agility yesterday. As agility is so fast paced it is an interesting spectator sport, while obedience isn't as interesting to watch if you don't know what is going on.

And to keep this semi on track with the show ring where this thread was posted, good luck to all the exhibitors this week! :D

Edited by RubyStar

Ooops sorry I didn't notice it was in the Show Ring :eek:

Well on a showing related note I did see some Whippet judging - I love whippets :D I pointed them out to OH and told him I want one one day.

Looking forward to the Group 2 results on Friday :D

Guys no matter that the discussion is in the show ring - we are discussing the royal afterall. :)

One thing I thought was a bit odd on Saturday, was that they allowed GP to sit in the conformation showing area after the showing had finished. I did think this was sort of odd, given they were eating etc.

Guys no matter that the discussion is in the show ring - we are discussing the royal afterall. :)

One thing I thought was a bit odd on Saturday, was that they allowed GP to sit in the conformation showing area after the showing had finished. I did think this was sort of odd, given they were eating etc.

I hope they cleaned it up afterwards or we'll have dogs with noses to the ground and possibly grabbing somethign they shouldn't

Yeah, I thought it was a bit short-sighted. Not only were the public sitting IN the marshalling areas, which could cause issues for some dogs especially at the end of the week, but I couldn't help but wonder how much dog wee was on the ground where they were sitting!!

Also...NOT at all pleasant that the only toileting area for conformation dogs is now less than half the size that it was last year (already tiny). And screened away, as it is, even by midday on the first day of the show, it STANK something awful. Not going to be nice come BIS day...

They don't seem to be putting up any results on the website... No wonder no other states take an interest in the Perth Royal - a bit of a joke.

BTW Faolmor Fionni looks great :)

Thanks - though I thought he looked a bit like his usual plonker self :laugh: Still - that was his 5th BOB win in a row at the Perth Royal...pretty happy with that ;)