Three Questions About Canine Pregnancies And Whelping

Parkeyre

Gestation and Whelping  

36 members have voted

1. 1. How far into your bitch's gestation did she whelp?

2. 2. If an AI litter; did your bitch whelp her whole litter naturally or did she require a Caesarean section?

• Naturally
    • Caesarean Section
    • N/A - Wasn't an AI Litter
  3. 3. If an AI litter; was it a normal size litter for your breed?

• No - Less than average amount born live
    • Yes - Average amount born live
    • No - Higher than average amount born live
    • N/A - Wasn't an AI Litter

I'm a first time breeder of Australian Shepherds; and my dear maiden girl Alice is currently on day 58 of her pregnancy.

She is having a rather large litter for her breed, though it's not uncommon for her lines.

I'm wondering if she will go earlier then day 63 because of her size and the number of puppies on her Xray.

The first question is for everyone who's ever bred a bitch, but the last two are for those who had litters via Artifical Insemination.

I've made the questions multiple choice, incase breeders have had mixed experiences.

Thanks. :)

Please feel free to comment further on your answers. The questions are:

Q1 - How far into your bitch's gestation did she whelp?

Q2 - If an AI litter; did your bitch whelp her whole litter naturally or did she require a Caesarean section?

Q3 - If an AI litter; was it a normal size litter for your breed?

Edited by Parkeyre

I'm a first time breeder of Australian Shepherds; and my dear maiden girl Alice is currently on day 58 of her pregnancy.

She is having a rather large litter for her breed, though it's not uncommon for her lines.

I'm wondering if she will go earlier then day 63 because of her size and the number of puppies on her Xray.

The first question is for everyone who's ever bred a bitch, but the last two are for those who had litters via Artifical Insemination.

I've made the questions multiple choice, incase breeders have had mixed experiences.

Thanks. :)

Please feel free to comment further on your answers. The questions are:

Q1 - How far into your bitch's gestation did she whelp?

Q2 - If an AI litter; did your bitch whelp her whole litter naturally or did she require a Caesarean section?

Q3 - If an AI litter; was it a normal size litter for your breed?

Well my girl (first litter also & has a very large litter on board) is at day 60 I am hoping for a natural whelping. Fingers are all crossed. The vet (Monash in Melbourne) thinks she will go tomorrow, Monday. I guess we will see.

Edited by Verhexen GSD

My bitch has only had 2 litters, both conceived naturally,& both considered very large litters for my breed.

First litter was 8 puppies...whelped on day 59.

Second litter was 9 puppies...whelped on day 57.

Both litters where whelped naturally, no complications,& all puppies where all healthy & survived. :)

Edited by Baileys mum

Our recent litter was a large one (12) from a maiden bitch and she whelped on day 60 (from mating) which was most likely day 58 from ovulation.

She whelped naturally and all pups were born strong and healthy and survived. :)

Edited by Alyosha

Our recent litter was a large one (12) from a maiden bitch and she whelped on day 60 (from mating) which was most likely day 58 from ovulation.

She whelped naturally and all pups were born strong and healthy and survived. :)

Fairly unusual to get a mating 2 days before ovulation. Most dogs don't mate until after ovulation, sometimes several days after and that is why they seem to whelp before 63 days.

All of my litter have been born 59-63 after mating but they were all pretty much 63 days from ovulation as is normal for all dogs. All were normal matings. My breed never goes over 63 days without it being a problem. If they haven't arrived on day 63 it is in for a caesar because I have never known anyone to have a healthy litter born late.

Ours have all whelped litters on day 59 from the first mating - which would be day 61 ish from ovulation at a guess.

All have whelped naturally except once - that girl had a huge boy stuck and the vets had to do a cesar to get him and the rest out - she had 5 naturally in 2 hours prior to that boy though. Our last litter our girl had all 10 puppies in 3 hrs & 15 mins (her 2nd litter so think she wanted it over and done with :rofl: ).

Day 63 for my last one. Was hard slog to just get a mating, she must have remembered what it meant and was so over the whole puppy thing. good mum though. singleton from 3 matings. she was a tiny bitch, and both hers with me were singletons. (one was stillborn)

Her half sister always had a c section. she went early one one, late on next.

My first ever litter was a pup that slid past the opening and blocked the way. She then had uterine inertia next time.