Ballan Puppy Farm Protest

gwp4me

Ballan puppy farm protest

BY JENNIFER GREIVE

02 Oct, 2011 10:00 PM

OPPOSERS of the approved puppy farm at Ballan say they will camp out at the site in protest in the coming weeks.

About 60 people gathered in Ballan on Saturday to voice their opposition to the puppy farm, which is expected to be up and running at a property on the Geelong-Ballan Road within the next four years.

A line of placard-bearing protesters marched down Ballan’s main street, pets in tow, before moving to what will be the site of the breeding facility.

There, they released 50 helium balloons in recognition of the 50 dogs the facility will house.

Moorabool Shire Council rejected a proposal for the puppy farm in June last year, after it received more than 1300 objections, including objections from Barwon Water and the RSPCA.

But the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal overturned that decision in July this year, giving the dog breeding facility the green light to house 50 dogs – half that of the original application.

Ballan resident Lee Scown organised the protest at the weekend with the support of the Oscar’s Law campaign to end the factory farming of pets in Australia. Ms Scown said she was furious at VCAT’s decision to approve the puppy farm.

“He (the proponent) has a permit for 50 (dogs), but at any one time he can go back to VCAT and extend that to 100,” she said.

“It’s disgusting – I don’t know how he’s going to be keeping these dogs. They just get bred constantly until the bitch can’t breed anymore and she either has a prolapse or she’s put down.”

The proponent, Melbourne dog breeder Robert Attard, could not be reached for comment at the weekend.

But, according to the VCAT report, Mr Attard can choose to apply to amend the permit to increase the number of breeding dogs to 100 once he has proved the facility is capable.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BY JENNIFER GREIVE

OPPOSERS of the approved puppy farm at Ballan say they will camp out at the site in protest in the coming weeks.

About 60 people gathered in Ballan on Saturday to voice their opposition to the puppy farm, which is expected to be up and running at a property on the Geelong-Ballan Road within the next four years.

A line of placard-bearing protesters marched down Ballan's main street, pets in tow, before moving to what will be the site of the breeding facility.

There, they released 50 helium balloons in recognition of the 50 dogs the facility will house.

Moorabool Shire Council rejected a proposal for the puppy farm in June last year, after it received more than 1300 objections, including objections from Barwon Water and the RSPCA.

But the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal overturned that decision in July this year, giving the dog breeding facility the green light to house 50 dogs – half that of the original application.

Ballan resident Lee Scown organised the protest at the weekend with the support of the Oscar's Law campaign to end the factory farming of pets in Australia. Ms Scown said she was furious at VCAT's decision to approve the puppy farm.

"He (the proponent) has a permit for 50 (dogs), but at any one time he can go back to VCAT and extend that to 100," she said.

"It's disgusting – I don't know how he's going to be keeping these dogs. They just get bred constantly until the bitch can't breed anymore and she either has a prolapse or she's put down."

The proponent, Melbourne dog breeder Robert Attard, could not be reached for comment at the weekend.

But, according to the VCAT report, Mr Attard can choose to apply to amend the permit to increase the number of breeding dogs to 100 once he has proved the facility is capable.

Dont know how he's going to be keeping them but kick and scream any way. We know how he's going to be keeping them - in accordance with mandatory codes and laws for breeding establishments.

Until she cant breed anymore and she either has a prolapse or she's put down - Big fat fibs again.

They are not going to get VCAT to overturn their decision but it should be good for more donations and chasing off any other breeder considering daring to ask for a DA. Better just breed em out the back of the boonies and keep em hidden.

The sad thing is that while none of us like the mass breeding or farming of dogs the publicity this has received will not overturn the VCAT decision but just means that the council will probably police the permit requirements - at least for a while. Other breeders will just keep them in dark sheds out the back of a rural property and not apply for permits. If permits were easier to get and were policed correctly I am sure dogs would have a better life. Where there are $$$ to be made people will breed - whether it be purebred or designer dogs. Prolapse is not common in bitches so the argument is a bit hysterical and it is likely that when a bitch is no longer a profitable breeder it too will be sold for whatever they can get for it. It willl probably then have a loving home - at last!

Dogs deserve one on one attention and companionship in a family situation. Puppies should be raised where they experience all the normal household sounds and activities and interactions with humans.

The sad thing is that while none of us like the mass breeding or farming of dogs the publicity this has received will not overturn the VCAT decision but just means that the council will probably police the permit requirements - at least for a while. Other breeders will just keep them in dark sheds out the back of a rural property and not apply for permits. If permits were easier to get and were policed correctly I am sure dogs would have a better life. Where there are $$$ to be made people will breed - whether it be purebred or designer dogs. Prolapse is not common in bitches so the argument is a bit hysterical and it is likely that when a bitch is no longer a profitable breeder it too will be sold for whatever they can get for it. It willl probably then have a loving home - at last!

Dogs deserve one on one attention and companionship in a family situation. Puppies should be raised where they experience all the normal household sounds and activities and interactions with humans.

Yep and while ever this goes on it takes us further behind and more not less dogs suffer.

What breeder in their right mind would apply for a DA in Victoria ?

Guest Black Obsession

BY JENNIFER GREIVE

A line of placard-bearing protesters marched down Ballan’s main street, pets in tow, before moving to what will be the site of the breeding facility.

Ballan resident Lee Scown organised the protest at the weekend with the support of the Oscar’s Law campaign to end the factory farming of pets in Australia. Ms Scown said she was furious at VCAT’s decision to approve the puppy farm.

“He (the proponent) has a permit for 50 (dogs), but at any one time he can go back to VCAT and extend that to 100,” she said.

“It’s disgusting – I don’t know how he’s going to be keeping these dogs. They just get bred constantly until the bitch can’t breed anymore and she either has a prolapse or she’s put down.”

It's so inspiring to see people not just speaking out against puppy farms, but actually getting off their arses and doing something about it. I would go too if I didn't dislike camping so much.

Edited by Black Obsession

BY JENNIFER GREIVE

A line of placard-bearing protesters marched down Ballan's main street, pets in tow, before moving to what will be the site of the breeding facility.

Ballan resident Lee Scown organised the protest at the weekend with the support of the Oscar's Law campaign to end the factory farming of pets in Australia. Ms Scown said she was furious at VCAT's decision to approve the puppy farm.

"He (the proponent) has a permit for 50 (dogs), but at any one time he can go back to VCAT and extend that to 100," she said.

"It's disgusting – I don't know how he's going to be keeping these dogs. They just get bred constantly until the bitch can't breed anymore and she either has a prolapse or she's put down."

Yay! Good for them! :thumbsup:

It's so inspiring to see people not just speaking out against puppy farms, but actually getting off their arses and doing something about it. I would go too if I didn't dislike camping so much :laugh:

Define Puppy Farm.

Guest Black Obsession

BY JENNIFER GREIVE

It's so inspiring to see people not just speaking out against puppy farms, but actually getting off their arses and doing something about it. I would go too if I didn't dislike camping so much :laugh:

Define Puppy Farm.

My definition of 'what is a puppy farm?' is changing. It used to be something like "a large-scale commercial breeding facility where the emphasis is on profit over welfare". However, after thinking more about it, my definition is now more like "a substandard breeding operation".

I would be interested to hear other people's definitions of 'what is a puppy farm?'..

Guest Black Obsession

I just had an idea...

I'm going to email Katrina Sharman who is Australia's only Animal Rights lawyer. She would have a more accurate definition of 'what is a puppy farm?'.

I will let you know how I go.

BY JENNIFER GREIVE

Define Puppy Farm.

My definition of 'what is a puppy farm?' is changing. It used to be something like "a large-scale commercial breeding facility where the emphasis is on profit over welfare". However, after thinking more about it, my definition is now more like "a substandard breeding operation".

I would be interested to hear other people's definitions of 'what is a puppy farm?'..

To me personally a "puppy farm" is a place where the dogs are not cared for humanely (no human contact, kept in filth, abused ect- i could go on for hrs abt many things including how many times a bitch should be bred from ect but thats just a personal opinion)

And also that profit is at the forefront of the breeders mind, not the betterment of the breed or concern for the dogs (stud, bitch) in their care.

So what is the point in everyone joining forces against puppy farmers if none of us can agree on what is a puppy farmer.

If a puppy farmer is what you have defined it as then why are you protesting this one- they havent even started yet - so how are they breeding dogs in rotten conditions?

Unbelievable, another one... more complaint letters on the way from my end. Three hearty cheers for those protesting this decision.

Why are you happy that they are protesting the decision?

Because I believe in speaking up for your beliefs. I believe that dogs should not be bred in commercial settings, they deserve to be part of a family - locking them in cages is not the life for a breeding dog.

Guest Black Obsession

So what is the point in everyone joining forces against puppy farmers if none of us can agree on what is a puppy farmer.

If a puppy farmer is what you have defined it as then why are you protesting this one- they havent even started yet - so how are they breeding dogs in rotten conditions?

To me, that is exactly why puppy farms should be made illegal.

Because there is a lack of domestic companion animal legislation and enforcement in Australia.

And because it is irresponsible to breed dogs for commercial purposes when there are thousands who are abused, neglected, abandoned and euthanased each year...and none of this is being addressed by our government or our legal system.

And because I'm pretty sure the concept of a puppy farm breaches a few Universal Animal Rights (it's been a while since I read the Charter, so have to get back to you).

And because I'm an animal lover and I can't bear the thought of animals suffering in any way.

ETA

And because I don't need agreement from people to tell me that puppy farms are just plain wrong!

If you are answering me then i was only stating what i believe to define a puppy farm. I haven't said anything abt protesting against whoever is opening a facility, all i did was say what my definition of a puppy farm is! :eek:

To me, that is exactly why puppy farms should be made illegal.

Because there is a lack of domestic companion animal legislation and enforcement in Australia.

And because it is irresponsible to breed dogs for commercial purposes when there are thousands who are abused, neglected, abandoned and euthanased each year...and none of this is being addressed by our government or our legal system.

And because I'm pretty sure the concept of a puppy farm breaches a few Universal Animal Rights (it's been a while since I read the Charter, so have to get back to you).

And because I'm an animal lover and I can't bear the thought of animals suffering in any way.

OK, hypothetical. If someone breeding for the show ring or for the agricultural community happens to somehow make a profit on selling puppies does that make them a commercial breeder? There are excellent working dog breeders with large numbers of happy healthy dogs in their kennels - would you automatically have them shut down and the dogs impounded (and likely euthanised) just because they don't live inside the house? Do you realise that kennel planning laws in many places forbid dogs being whelped and puppies reared inside a residence?

In my view, there is too much emotion in your post and not enough sense. Provided that the dogs used for breeding are health scored in the problems common to their breed and all puppies are properly socialised, microchipped, vaccinated and placed with care and with a breeders' support guarantee why would you want to shut the breeding establishment down? If they are providing healthy, happy good family pets where is the problem?

Do you assume that every family with more than 3 children are overbreeding uneducated bogans? No? Then why assume that every large scale breeder keeps their dogs in filth and unsocialised etc.?

Let's assume that all breeding is outlawed. Within 15 years the pounds will be emptied and there will be no dogs available to be family pets. ALV can then tick off another goal achieved. You can pat yourself on the back for having helped them achieve that.

I do know that there ARE large scale breeders in this country who do not provide adequate care in many ways. I would prefer that these people were forced to adhere to existing ethical standards so that adequate care and socialisation can be provided. If they were required by law to health test and only breed from suitably rated stock or only breed from Clear By Parentage stock (depending upon the condition) and if they were required to adhere to reasonable staff/dog ratios etc then they may find that breeding is simply not cost efficient and therefore leave it to those with a love and passion for it.

However love and passion alone is NOT enough and you do need to be educated, which is where decent by-laws, properly enforced, should come into it. Also I would prefer that all puppies be permanently chipped with the breeder details so that we can collate the facts about where the pound population comes from, and so that tracing genetic disorders can be more transparent.

I really shouldn't bother knocking my head against a brick wall. No doubt you will just repeat your statement that because ethical standards aren't being enforced in this country that we should assume that every breeder is evil and shut them all down. I feel sorry for those who have fallen for the hype and want the baby tossed out with the bathwater...

Unfortunately "puppy farm" is often a slanderous term that people throw around when they don't like the way a dog breeder is operating. It is essentially an "N' word used in the dog world.

A well run large kennel is e a great place, form the dog's perspective. Dogs are social animals. Most love the company of other dogs and if they're allowed to run and play with a regular small pack, they love it. You could argue that it's cruel to keep dogs as singletons, cause they don't get to interact with their own kind. Sure, if you want a house dog, you are better starting a puppy off in the house. But a good breeder, of any scale, interacts a lot with the pups. A very large establishment is likely to have someone on full-time to look after the pups, and will do such things as keep a radio on and having a washing machine in the background. Do you think a woman with a full time job and a hubby that works away is going to be able to give pups as much attention?

There are a handful of large scale, highly commercial dog breeding facilities that keep costs down by neglecting the dogs. Such establishments have deservedly been raked over the coals because they neglect their dogs. There were some absolutely horrific things going on in commercial dog breeding establishments in certain US states, though I think legislation now has resulted in correction of the worse cases. There may be a few pretty ugly establishments in Australia. If they are, they're big targets, and could be put out of business by effective enforcement of existing laws.

I wish the animal rights people would put more energy into protecting the right to live of the poor dogs who happen to 'look' dangerous.

Guest Black Obsession

Unfortunately "puppy farm" is often a slanderous term that people throw around when they don't like the way a dog breeder is operating. It is essentially an "N' word used in the dog world.

A well run large kennel is e a great place, form the dog's perspective. Dogs are social animals. Most love the company of other dogs and if they're allowed to run and play with a regular small pack, they love it. You could argue that it's cruel to keep dogs as singletons, cause they don't get to interact with their own kind. Sure, if you want a house dog, you are better starting a puppy off in the house. But a good breeder, of any scale, interacts a lot with the pups. A very large establishment is likely to have someone on full-time to look after the pups, and will do such things as keep a radio on and having a washing machine in the background. Do you think a woman with a full time job and a hubby that works away is going to be able to give pups as much attention?

There are a handful of large scale, highly commercial dog breeding facilities that keep costs down by neglecting the dogs. Such establishments have deservedly been raked over the coals because they neglect their dogs. There were some absolutely horrific things going on in commercial dog breeding establishments in certain US states, though I think legislation now has resulted in correction of the worse cases. There may be a few pretty ugly establishments in Australia. If they are, they're big targets, and could be put out of business by effective enforcement of existing laws.

I wish the animal rights people would put more energy into protecting the right to live of the poor dogs who happen to 'look' dangerous.

I had no idea that people in the Dog World used the term 'puppy farmer' to denigrate each other. This makes a lot of sense to me now.

I don't consider myself an 'Animal Rights person'. I have mixed feelings about Animal Rights groups, especially the people who are campaigning for Oscar's Law. I'm just a dog lover who feels strongly about the mistreatment and cruelty of animals.

Unbelievable, another one... more complaint letters on the way from my end. Three hearty cheers for those protesting this decision.

Why are you happy that they are protesting the decision?

Because I believe in speaking up for your beliefs. I believe that dogs should not be bred in commercial settings, they deserve to be part of a family - locking them in cages is not the life for a breeding dog.

So you are protesting commercial breeding? You are protesting people keeping their dogs in settings which are dictated to them via the mandotory codes?

But according to the agreed upon decision of the definintion of a puppy farm you are not protesting puppy farmers?

Is that what you mean?