My Son Got Bitten By A Dog

Lugeanjaam

Wish council had taken my attack seriously. I got bailed up by 2 dogs much like your son and got bitten by one, unprovoked (just walking past on the opposite side of the road) and all the ranger did was issue a "warning" icon_smile_mad.gif I've seen the dogs out the front again on 2 separate occasions, unleashed.

After that, I've been on a rampage of dobbing in any wandering dog I see to the ranger. Totally sick of it.

Hope your son doesn't have any lasting effects, mentally/emotionally from this attack. They take longer to heal than the bite wounds :(

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After that, I've been on a rampage of dobbing in any wandering dog I see to the ranger. Totally sick of it.

And quite rightly sick of it, we ought to be able to walk our dogs - or ourselves - and not get attacked. Plus, loose dogs are a danger on the roads as well. Never ending, especially owners who allow repeat break outs and know about the situation.

Sorry to here you're still having trouble Dee, I thought that dalmatian would have been either declared dangerous or kept properly contained after all these incidents :(

I'm sure there are other people upset by the same dogs and if the rangers don't respond, you'd be doing a favour to go up the hierarchy with complaints.

If the rangers are not responding appropriately, you can always

1) complain to your councilman or woman

2) complain to your mayor

3) complain to the CEO of your shire if there are issues with the elected officials (I once had to do this in Cockburn WA when the mayor and most of the council were indicted on corruption charges).

I'd try the mayor first.

I once spent a lot of time talking to my local council person about a problem of non-enforcement. She finally said, I'll do what I can, but you really should talk to the mayor. He's in a much better position to do something. This turned out to be good advice.

[sorry to here you're still having trouble Dee, I thought that dalmatian would have been either declared dangerous or kept properly contained after all these incidents :(

Aargh, I know, Chris, I thought that would be the case too. :(

I spoke to the ranger yesterday & he is slapping a nuisance order on the dog (finally...) which will be in place for 6 months, if any infringements are recorded in that time the owner will be taken to court.

I'm pretty disatisfied with that, it's not the ranger's fault, but the system. So full of crappy bureaucracy.

Meantime, someone might get hurt- hope it's not me or my dog.

Sandgrubber, good advice, I think I will email the mayor with my concerns.

I must say I am pretty disappointed as the bite happened on Monday, Ranger due to come out to my house on Tuesay but he had to postpone due to illness (fair enough), today is Friday and no contact from the Council. No statement has been taken and they have not taken any photo's of the wound (we have our own photo's though).I am about to ring them now and find out what is going on. I certainly hope they have not been as slack about ensuring that those dogs are secure as they have about taking care of this end of things.

Sujo, Have you considered contacting the local paper about your situation or at least threatening the council that you will? I can not believe how you are being treated!! Shocking!!

Everyone else who is having problems with these off lead / roaming dogs, I would encourage you to take a camera with you whenever you go out so that you can photograph the animal - you shouldn't have to but it might help your case. I have started taking a camera with me and I will continue to. It is very difficult to protect yourself and take a photo at the same time but you never know when the opportunity might arise?

Makes me so angry that people will put their dogs in these situations - how hard is it to contain them or keep them on a lead?

Sujo, Have you considered contacting the local paper about your situation or at least threatening the council that you will? I can not believe how you are being treated!! Shocking!!

Been in touch with the Council. The officer assigned to our case has been off all week due to illness and apparently they manage their own cases which is why I have not been contacted. I spoke to his supervisor who apologised for the delay. I asked if they had checked to see if the dogs have been contained and he said that he would send someone out today to check and try and get in touch with the owners...I take this to mean that this has not been done to date. He also asked if we have photo's of the injury which we do, he then asked if we have only taken a photo of the bite itself or can you see my son's face in the photo (to identify that it was actually him that was bitten). I did not even think of this to be honest and I only have photo's of my son's leg, I hope this will not be an issue. I can take photo's today when he returns from school as you can still see the wound though it has healed quite well but this would have been good to know at the time!

After I spoke to the supervisor the office on my case called (I assume he was contacted by his supervisor) and also apologised and said that he would be back on board on Monday and would come and take a statement then. Hopefully this is the end of the delays and we can start dealing with the issue at hand.

Been in touch with the Council. The officer assigned to our case has been off all week due to illness and apparently they manage their own cases which is why I have not been contacted. I spoke to his supervisor who apologised for the delay. I asked if they had checked to see if the dogs have been contained and he said that he would send someone out today to check and try and get in touch with the owners...I take this to mean that this has not been done to date. He also asked if we have photo's of the injury which we do, he then asked if we have only taken a photo of the bite itself or can you see my son's face in the photo (to identify that it was actually him that was bitten). I did not even think of this to be honest and I only have photo's of my son's leg, I hope this will not be an issue. I can take photo's today when he returns from school as you can still see the wound though it has healed quite well but this would have been good to know at the time!

After I spoke to the supervisor the office on my case called (I assume he was contacted by his supervisor) and also apologised and said that he would be back on board on Monday and would come and take a statement then. Hopefully this is the end of the delays and we can start dealing with the issue at hand.

You can get a report from the doctor who treated him after the bite, to state that it was in fact your son that he treated for a dog bite.

Pretty poor effort to be honest. If it was that important for a confirmed picture to be taken then a ranger should have come out to take their own picture of the wound. Whether or not a ranger is sick, someone else should have been assigned to the case when he got ill so that things were not left without being done for a week after the attack.

You can get a report from the doctor who treated him after the bite, to state that it was in fact your son that he treated for a dog bite.

Pretty poor effort to be honest. If it was that important for a confirmed picture to be taken then a ranger should have come out to take their own picture of the wound. Whether or not a ranger is sick, someone else should have been assigned to the case when he got ill so that things were not left without being done for a week after the attack.

We already have a doc report stating that he treated Anthony on Monday night for a dog bite and he received his tetanus. I agree completely it really is a poor effort all round.

Edited by sujo

It confounds me. :confused:

With all the recent press about aggressive dogs, the proactive chasing up of innocent pitbulls etc is at complete odds with the all too common lack of action against reported aggressive dogs!

It is totally back the front. :mad

Ok update ...

Council called back. They sent someone around to the property and the dogs do not live at the address that they rushed out of. They are actually from next door and dug their way out. The kicker is that another incident with these same dogs was reported only 2 days previous to ours. No bite but a lady was rushed by them and very frightened. Apparently the owner will now keep them inside while she is out so that is something. At least we are starting to get some answers.

Ok update ...

Council called back. They sent someone around to the property and the dogs do not live at the address that they rushed out of. They are actually from next door and dug their way out. The kicker is that another incident with these same dogs was reported only 2 days previous to ours. No bite but a lady was rushed by them and very frightened. Apparently the owner will now keep them inside while she is out so that is something. At least we are starting to get some answers.

:mad An incident was reported but because they didn't follow up your son got bitten, and as said previously what if that had been an elderly women, a smaller child, a women and a baby etc, it could have been much more serious. That is really poor effort on behalf of the council and I would be making a formal complaint to council about rangers lack of action on the previous report.

I hope the lady decides to be responsible and I hope that the council slap her with dangerous dog orders and fines her.

As DeeLee said we have hysteria in Vic about Pitbulls but here are two dogs who have been reported for rushing and then reported for biting and it took them 4 days to even get out there to have a look. That is just really ridiculous.

• 1 month later...

An update...

The Ranger called me yesterday afternoon. Long story short one of the dogs has left the shire since the incident and the Council have been unable to get in touch with her (she is the sister of the other owner involved in this case). The dog that actually bit my son has subsequently been declared menacing (there is a difference between menacing and dangerous apparently). She has been given the option to surrender the dog if she cannot afford to pay the annual registration fees (owner is on a pension with 2 small children)which is $450 odd I believe. If she does surrender the dog he will be euthanised. If at any time the owner is found to have not complied with the menacing dog restrictions applied to her dog he will be seized and destroyed. She has also been fined for her dog wandering biting my son.

Whilst I feel very bad for this dog (it is not his fault his owners do not have a clue!) I am pleased that the Council took this incident seriously. The ranger said that the owner was 'very blase' about the whole situation.

On a positive note my son is doing great, the wound has healed beautifully and his love for dogs does not seem to have been affected. He is more aware of his surroundings whilst he is out and about but that is a good thing! Thanks for everyones input and help, much appreciated :).

Great to hear about your son and his attitude. He sounds like he is a very well balanced individual:-)

I hope the neighbor trys to re-home the dog through a rescue if she can't afford the fees or is not willing to have the extra restrictions on her dog.

I wonder how many "problem" dogs out there would be wonderful pets, well adjusted and well behaved if their owners knew how to, and were willing to properly care for them?

Great news Sujo.

Deelee they would have had to follow procedure which often makes things slower than it needs to be.

Great to hear about your son and his attitude. He sounds like he is a very well balanced individual:-)

I hope the neighbor trys to re-home the dog through a rescue if she can't afford the fees or is not willing to have the extra restrictions on her dog.

I wonder how many "problem" dogs out there would be wonderful pets, well adjusted and well behaved if their owners knew how to, and were willing to properly care for them?

I don't think it is responsible to rehome a dog that has been declared menacing or has bitten someone. For starters the dog has behavioural issues, second the new owners would have to comply with the menacing laws which includes a higher cost for registration every year (probably close to what you pay in rego for your car).

Nor do I think a rescue would take on a dog that had been declared menacing. Actually it might even be against the law to rehome a dog with a menacing declaration.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

It's such a good thing your son was not affected psychologically from this. It's such a shame that some people actually train there dogs to become such monsters, or they become such monsters from lack of training. Regardless of temperament people should not let there dogs roam or keep them unsecured.. Don't they worry at the bare minimum that their pet may get hit by a car let alone attacking an innocent passerby?? :(