Scrub Turkey

Fatsofatsoman

Heard an almighty racket after taking Boonie & Jett to the dog park today.

Both of them had pinned a scrub turkey that got into our back yard. Neither of them were biting it - just pinning it and playing with it. I ran down and told them to drop and they let it up and it escaped.

I don't think that turkey will be planning on nesting in my yard this year.

We found that Hugo was pretty protective of our chickens actually--there was a scrub turkey that continually kept on harassing the chickens and causing a fuss in our fenced off area to get to their food.. Hugo crawled under the fence and somehow managed to herd the turkey into the enclosure where it was harder to escape, caught it, and ripped all its tailfeathers out! :eek: Fair enough I hated that turkey for attacking our chooks but I kind of felt sorry for it and quickly yelled at Hugo to stop when I saw what he was doing. :cry:

You're right though, after an encounter with a dog, they should seldom come back! This one hopped the fence and we never saw it again.

We used to live on Tamborine Mountain where there are LOTS of scrub turkeys....and I have pointers...sigh ;) The turkeys never did get the message to stop coming into our yard even after one or 2 of them were..errr...'pointed' at !! ( coughing into hand as they are protected)

Dumbest birds ever though now we have peacocks in our new neighbourhood who are running a close second !! :laugh:

We used to live on Tamborine Mountain where there are LOTS of scrub turkeys....and I have pointers...sigh ;) The turkeys never did get the message to stop coming into our yard even after one or 2 of them were..errr...'pointed' at !! ( coughing into hand as they are protected)

Dumbest birds ever though now we have peacocks in our new neighbourhood who are running a close second !! :laugh:

I was just going to say that very thing darlingdog, they are stupid stupid stupid! It'll probably be back tomorrow.

they are stupid stupid stupid!

they evolved to live in the rainforest ..not to have to deal with humans/dogs/cars and an artificial environment...although they can adapt, given safety and support.

LINK

They are not 'stupid' at all. Their brains are perfectly adequate for the life they should be living... ;) Their brain has not been programmed to deal with colourbond, and small enclosed areas with dogs ... they are programmed to exist on the same patch of territory that has supported the past 100 generations ....

Hate to tell you this but they will be back. My dogs got hold of a scrub turkey that comes up to be fed every day, and took out all his bum feathers, he went off down the paddock cracking up, didn't come up again for a couple of weeks, but he did come back, but I think is a lot more wary now.

Second the peacocks, they just wont learn I've got bird dogs and they are birds!!!!