Dander/dandruff

Kajirin

Noticed Scout has way too much dandruff at the moment. Thinking allergy related maybe, spring grasses and the like. Touch him and he goes into spasms scratching...brushing him he's really itchy.

Wondering if an oatmeal shampoo/conditioner is the way to go, or are there other shampoo suggestions?

Poor lil mite.

Thanks in advance =]

Noticed Scout has way too much dandruff at the moment. Thinking allergy related maybe, spring grasses and the like. Touch him and he goes into spasms scratching...brushing him he's really itchy.

Wondering if an oatmeal shampoo/conditioner is the way to go, or are there other shampoo suggestions?

Poor lil mite.

Thanks in advance =]

Aloveen shampoo (oatmeal & Aloe ) is a pretty good one....It's gentle & soothing for irritated/itchy skin. :)

seabreeze oil from plush puppy is good for dandruff, but not sure about if it will make the itch better or worse...i put it on following a bath (its a spray) before the coat dry's (undiluted)

I also use alloveen shampoo on all my dogs, but none of my dogs have allergies. just find the coat condition is really good. even when i show mine i use the seabreeze oil to give the coat a nice glossy look prior to going in the ring..

Thanks for the ideas =]

Pers, his skin is dryish at the moment, coat glossy/shiny. Had been refraining from brushing him, but was giving his back a rub and was uhg so much dandruff so zoom groomed him to see how much.

But yes you're right, some anti histamine would probably help a lot.

Just seems likes it's a really bad time for pollen and other allergens this year =\

I agree with persephone.... you are what you eat - goes for our dogs too! An appropriate diet & exercise is what promotes a healthy coat / skin, not cosmetic products & shampoos.

Not sure if you already feed BARF, but have a look at Vets All Natural Skin Sensitive Mix. I am not in any way affiliated with the company, but have heard very good reports about this product.

Dr.Symes Vets All Natural webiste is here

If you feel washing is necessary, then a mild shampoo would be best followed by a rinse of cider vinegar in water (2-3 tablespoons per litre & do not rinse off). The cider vinegar helps to normalise the pH of the skin.

Guest lavendergirl

My dog has the itchies at the moment too. Just wondering what antihistamines would be suitable to use - forgot to ask the vet last time I was in :o

I've found that wiping down with a wet cloth every now and then is better than bathing when they have dry skin. Gets out the dead hair too. Also try adding some melrose omega pet oil and/or oily fish to the diet and see if that helps.

As for Shampoo, I've tried Aloveen and PAW (both Sensitive and Nutriderm) but found that Moo Goo has given the best results :shrug:

Edited by SecretKei

I've found that wiping down with a wet cloth every now and then is better than bathing when they have dry skin. Gets out the dead hair too. Also try adding some melrose omega pet oil and/or oily fish to the diet and see if that helps.

As for Shampoo, I've tried Aloveen and PAW (both Sensitive and Nutriderm) but found that Moo Goo has given the best results :shrug:

Does MooGoo have the dog shampoo out yet? i would love to try it on the dogs. i use their creams myself...

Does MooGoo have the dog shampoo out yet? i would love to try it on the dogs. i use their creams myself...

Not sure... I use the human one for myself and my dog.

1. As mentioned, work from the inside out. A good diet is essential. Make sure you have adequate essential fatty acids, in particular Omega 3's in the diet. Adding things like fish oil capsules and Vit E can help.

2. If you need to wash your dog in anything, use a soapless shampoo or rinse. Fidos Herbal Rinse (NOT shampoo) for instance is my favourite. PP Also has a hydrobath wash which is soapless.

3. You need to replace the oils on the coat. Use a 'leave in' rinse such as PP seabreeze oil or Alpha Keri oil from the chemist. You only need a few drops in a bucket of water and sponge on.

4. If he is scratching, be careful of broken skin which can develop secondary bacterial or fungal infection. This is where the vinegar is useful. It can soothe (though can sting a little on broken skin so be careful and perhps water it down a bit at first) and will help stop bacterial and fungal growth.

Best shampoo I have found for skin problems is 'Groomers Evening Primrose Oil shampoo' it really puts the moisture back into the skin, cures flaky skin in just one or 2 baths, great for oily skin/coats too.

This is the type of thread Erny would recommend her Calendula Tea used as a rinse

• 4 weeks later...

Best shampoo I have found for skin problems is 'Groomers Evening Primrose Oil shampoo' it really puts the moisture back into the skin, cures flaky skin in just one or 2 baths, great for oily skin/coats too.

This is the type of thread Erny would recommend her Calendula Tea used as a rinse

Oooh .... only just bumped into this thread and post. Lol at Becks. How predictable am I? :laugh:

I wouldn't just recommend Calendula Tea as "a rinse". I'd recommend it as the wash AND rinse. IOW .... use it instead of using any shampoo at all.

Definitely worth a try, IMO. The Calendula helps immensley with problems, but if the cause persists, it isn't necessarily the cure. Unless of course the "cause" relates to the use/over use of shampoos.