Obedience People

I'm not an obediance person (yet!) but I LOVE teaching tricks, Quinn was clicker trained and free shaped from day one so now at 17 months old shes got quiet a reportoire of cute and useful tricks. I also find because she's so aware of her own body and she has such a big "vocabulary" of behavoiurs to offer it makes training easier in every other aspect. Her newest trick is and one of my favourite ever is "Kiss Buster" where she nose touches the side of his face, it cracks me up everytime.

Its so easy training her now because she has so many things to try. She will offer nose touches, paw touches, mouthing, retrieving, back up onto something, walking around it, lying down in various positions, circling me back or forwards, finding heel, sitting between my legs etc etc. My next challenge is to teach her to show me differnt part of her own body (wheres your nose? tail? paw? etc) because it will be a bit of a new concept to her.

Sorry for the kind of highjack but I think trick training can be so useful for so much other training.

[quoteMason_GibbsPosted 19 October 2011 - 10:09 AM

I still think you need to be quite an outgoing person to do dwd i could never do that with heaps if people watching

I too am a shy person, very, very unfit with no co-ordination but am having a go at DWD. I love to watch the other dogs & handlers do their routines & hope to one day compete.

It's great fun for the dogs to do their tricks & the more you do the easier it becomes. I read a long, long time ago somewhere that heeling, recalls & all those position changes etc that are done in obedience are also tricks.

As far as other ppl watching, you are so focused on what your dog is doing that you soon forget the audience in a workshop situation that is, as I haven't trialed yet as I've said.

Edited by luvsdogs

DWD is sooo much fun, since starting in this new sport I have found that my dogs enjoy their regular obedience so much more. They are just waiting in antipation of me throwing in a spin or leg weave to break up their regular training.

I love watching my dog's brain engage when teaching tricks. :thumbsup:

I find that teaching your dog to do tricks is a great way to help alleviate people's fear of your dog - probably more applicable when you own a doberman. My dog knows all sorts of crazy tricks, and people who are initially scared of him lose most if not all of their fear when they see him performing his tricks - by the end they're often so confident with him they can ask him to do tricks/teach him new tricks themselves.

Plus my dog loves learning/doing his tricks so it's a fun bonding time for us.

He does obedience classes twice a week, but they never teach us any tricks. I usually go on youtube, see what other people can do with their dogs and then teach Sammy.