Hot Wire/electric Fence

ok doggy people....

wanting to install an electric fence/hot wire fence along the fence line due to digging dogs (gggrrrrrr)

what are the cheapest options??

Go to your local produce store & have a chat. We use one around the house as we are on a farm & it certainly stops the dogs jumping over or digging under. They only touch it once, so do us humans for that matter. :eek:

I have heard it is actually illegal to use to control dogs.

So be careful who you tell if you do it.

I can vouch it is very effective. We have it for the horses etc but when the dogs touch it accidently, they certainly don't go back in a hurry

We are looking at something like this for a section of our side fence. One of our dogs has discovered that if he jumps high enough, he can hook his paws over the top of the fence then walk his back paws up it and go over it like a cat.......into the neighbours yard and out onto the street, then he takes himself off for a little sightseeing tour around town.

Husband is going to investigate today, as what we've done as prevention hasn't worked......now he's honed his talent, the little bugger just finds somewhere else to escape.

I don't know what state you live in but if you can't get to a produce store you could buy on-line.

The electric braided tape is so easy to use

Design of a fence: http://www.sureguard.com.au/electric_fence_design.html

and here is a place: http://www.electricfenceaustralia.com.au/

If you type in 'solar electric fence' in ebay there are some units with tape for under $200...like this one http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Solar-Electric-Fence-Charger-200m-Hot-Tape-Plus-FREE-AUTO-BATTERY-CHARGER-/250899593470?pt=AU_Fencing&hash=item3a6ac7f8fe

Just remember if you are going to invest in the under the ground stuff it may do an amazing job in keeping your dog in but it does bugger all to keep other dogs out!!!! And once they are in your dog cant run out to get away from them.... So you will still need an adequate fence anyway.

Just remember if you are going to invest in the under the ground stuff it may do an amazing job in keeping your dog in but it does bugger all to keep other dogs out!!!! And once they are in your dog cant run out to get away from them.... So you will still need an adequate fence anyway.

I think the OP is asking about electric (hot wire) fences...they will keep everything out or in

Well, I am not sure about it being illegal. The council inspected my kennelling and fencing facilities and were more than happy with it. I have normal lamb and sheep wire around my four acres and can't afford to make it higher so I have elected to put a strand of plain hot wire on offsets around the perimeter. It works a treat!!! The dogs are far more respectful of the fencing and don't even bother going near it anymore. Plain wire conducts better than the tape and the tape is prone to breaking and the plastics/nylon deteriorating. I have a mains power unit and it is always on. My dogs (GSD) were standing up on the fences and it would not have been long before they would have started climbing them so electric was essential. I also have sheep around me so there was no room for carelessness.

I would recommend using offsets to keep the hot wire about 6" from the fence but you will need to ensure that there is no grass or anything touching the wire as it will short out. I would whipper-snip under the wire and maybe put Roundup down so that you don't get any growth.

Believe me, it works better than anything I know! :-)

Good luck

Cairo1

The reason I went to an electric fence was my dogs got out and ended up in the pound (what an expensive week that was). About a month later, the council had to come and check that I had secured my yard, so the dogs wouldn't get out again, the electric fence was up by then and the council lady congratulated me on being a responsible dog owner and doing the best I could to contain my dogs. So if it is illegal, even the council turns a blind eye (this was in Brissy).

Thunderbird is probably going to be your cheapest option. A plug in power pack will be the best value as battery/solar are more.

There is a few ways to do it, you can either screw insulators to your fence or you can buy the multi wire plastic tread in posts which give you the option of adding more strands of wire.

What kind of fence and what kind of distance? Your fence type will dictate what type of insulators you need. Also remember that you need to earth the entire unit properly especially in dry sandy soils or you run the risk of a weaker signal the further away from the unit.

I do electric fencing at work so if you want advice on the cheapest way of doing it just let me know what kind of fence/area you have and I'll send you part numbers/styles

We use Gallagher stuff on the property to look after the cattle / horses. I also have a small portable for the float that will get about 2 weeks work out of a 12v car battery and will run of 4 d cells if need be when strip grazing. That energizer cost less than $200 a few years ago.

Have a look at the 'Power Fence Manual' on this page

http://www.gallagher.com.au/electric-fence-manuals.aspx

really aimed at livestock but has lots of good info in there for you.