Milk Fever

I have a med (12.8kg) mixed breed bitch in care who earlier today had a high fever, stiffness, shivery and very lethargic. Took her into the vet and he gave her a large dose of calcium and advised me to keep her cool and away from pups. She ate a good meal tonight and toileted afterwards, temp has come down slightly but she is still quite wobbly and stiff. She is going back to the vet first thing in the morning. Can someone tell me what the usual recovery period is? Pups are 4weeks big and healthy and fine without her.

Edited by fiona mills

If her temp stays down, and depending on how long she's been in hypocalcaemia, I'd expect her to be recovering well after tomorrow's IV calc. hard to say on a forum as we don't know what her body / organ condtion it like.

Did the vet mention oral calcium or food advice ?

fifi

Muscle tension has gone so no more calcium, however now she has mastitis with two points looking like they are going to rupture :( IM pain relief and antibiotics prescribed. This is one of the few girls I've had who had an easy trouble free whelping, thought this was going to be smooth sailing.

Fingers crossed for you and your rescue girl and her pups, Fiona. I've only been through milk fever with a goat. It's awful.

I wonder if it might be worth putting together a blurb on hypocalcaemia and its prevention for the Breeder's section.

There was a discussion of diet for a preggers girl some months back. I got the feeling that some people didn't realise milk fever is possible, or how horrible it is. I don't know that much about calcium needs -- I've always just upped the bones and shifted to puppy food during pregnancy, which does the trick. But some people seem to think diet as usual is ok . . . which I think could be risky if the usual diet is low in calcium.

Well I still think it's the most horrible thing I've ever seen but she is back to her usual self and it does not seem to be bothering her in the slightest. Vet says it looks good :vomit: and she's still on the AB's and salt water bathing a few times a day. He removed most of the black skin on monday. This is a pic from yesterday.post-7147-0-99254600-1319629153_thumb.jpg

Edited by fiona mills

Oh - the poor girl, my Rottweiler bitch had mastitis with her first litter - it was awful. We were back/forward to the vets for a week trying to prevent it from happening. She had surgery to clean it up and had drain tubes :vomit: . Hers burst all over the floor when we were at the vets while I was telling them about the bad night she had. We went to the em clinic - all the did was give her pain meds and ab's and told me to go to her vets in the morning. I expected them to do the surgery on the spot, it was weeping and I knew it was going to burst soon - it did 5 hrs later. She was in a bad way. Now she has a tiny scar that is hard to find, not bad considering it looked like a bullet wound.

Good luck, hope she feels better soon and heals quickly.