Desexing

Leema

Desexing  

77 members have voted

1. 1. Do you advocate desexing?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Other.
  2. 2. Do you desex dogs leaving your care?

• Yes, always.
    • Mostly, unless they're sick and/or a puppy.
    • Sometimes.
    • No, never.
    • Not applicable / I do not rehome dogs.
  3. 3. Would you support legislation that required all dogs to be desexed before sale or transfer (expect to breeders)?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Other.

Please answer these questions in a general manner. I know we could get into specifics regarding the wording of each question, particularly question 3.

By 'desexing', I mean any permanent procedure that means an animal can no longer reproduce. If you use sterilisation, please post as such.

I welcome any posts regarding this topic.

Edited by Leema

since becoming involved in rescue, no foster dog/pup leaves me unless its desexed... If I ever bred a litter again (unlikely), all pups bar the one I kept for myself will go desexed... no exeptions (unless medical reasons)...

As someone who plays dog sports... agility, obedience etc I would not purchase a dog that has been spayed or has a requirement to be spayed. I may do so depending on temparament or health considerations at a later date but I feel that is my decision to make.

I truly understand why many breeders have become fed up and insist on sterilisation but personally I would prefer to find a breeder who trusts me and understands my reasons.

I don't support at all. I'm not a registered breeder, but if my dog or bitch turn out as good as I hope, in both attitude and structure then they will be assets to the gene pool. I will then go to the lengths to become a registered breeder.

I can completely understand why rescue people would see mandatory desexing as beneficial.

For health reasons I'd not desex a performance dog early either.

Perhaps a law stating all puppies sold through a 3rd party (ie pet shop) should be desexed. After all, that is the market supposedly just looking for a pet.

As someone who plays dog sports... agility, obedience etc I would not purchase a dog that has been spayed or has a requirement to be spayed. I may do so depending on temparament or health considerations at a later date but I feel that is my decision to make.

I truly understand why many breeders have become fed up and insist on sterilisation but personally I would prefer to find a breeder who trusts me and understands my reasons.

Exactly what I was going to say - I don't agree with early desexing (I do desex my dogs though - prefer to wait until 18 months) especially since the dog would do dog sports, and I wouldn't buy a puppy from a breeder that already came desexed.

I understand why rescue want to do it though.

Exactly what I was going to say - I don't agree with early desexing (I do desex my dogs though - prefer to wait until 18 months) especially since the dog would do dog sports, and I wouldn't buy a puppy from a breeder that already came desexed.

I understand why rescue want to do it though.

+2

as above :)

generally I desex my bitches when they no longer require their bits. This may be they are what I consider too old to have a litter, finished their Ch title, not at a,level where they are good enough to breed from. All my bitches are desexed eventually but the earliest one will be desexed is after maturity.

My male dogs are not desexed unless there is a medical reason. They do not roam or exhibit undesirable behaviour.

I would not buy a puppy that required early desexing or was done as a baby