Puppy With Super Sensitive Tummy

Kirty

My new foster pup has been here for almost a week now and I just cannot get her tummy to settle. :( When I collected her, I was told that she had been fed a rawhide chew earlier in the day and it had caused her to get the runs. I put her on plain cooked chicken for 24hrs and the runs cleared up instantly. So after the 24hrs I mixed a tiny bit of dryfood in with the chicken (the same kibble she had been on before I got her) and within a few hours, she had the squirts again. Like full-on, watery poo every hour or so. :( I put her straight back onto a bland diet (this time chicken and rice) but it took 48hrs for the runs to stop. I kept her on chicken and rice for 3 days. When she has the runs, she also poops out whole pieces of undigested chicken - surely that's not normal?

I have now bought some Eukenuba fish and potato (which is meant to be very gentle on upset tummies) but as soon as I start adding it, her poo goes sloppy again. :( I have now got her on ABs for a seperate problem which probably isn't helping but I don't know what to do. I wormed her tonight and she promptly vomitted it back up. Up until tonight she has been happy and active but tonight she is flat. We are off to the vet tomorrow morning. :(

I don't even know why I am posting this. I just don't know what else to try and I am hesitant to keep changing kibble because that won't help either. :(

When Kenzie had a tummy bug as a baby she was on chicken and rice for a week because she just couldn't keep anything in. Maybe she just needs longer on the chicken and rice??? I've also now tried the mashed pumpkin/sw potato with Kenz and it works well.

But really I don't know. Good luck and I hope her tummy gets better quickly!

Does she digest the chicken and rice well?

You could discuss Enziplex with the vet to see if this helps with digesting new foods (idea from the whole chicken). And protexin which is a probiotic.

It defiantly sounds like there is something more going on but I used these for a pup that had chronic diarrhoea as a pup with some good results. I also used chinese herbs when conventional medicine was failing. She had been put on Scourban but it did nothing. Pups that I have used since have had dramatic improvements from scourban inside 24hrs.

Scourban is given for small intestinal upsets- so increased fluid in faeces and increased frequency.

Hope this helps a little!

Thanks for the suggestions. She is digesting some of the chicken and rice, but some bits of chicken come out whole. :( She is smallish for her age I think but she was the same size as her siblings. Her coat is good, she has bright eyes, etc. Nothing to suggest she has been poorly prior to this week. Its just so damn frustrating. I feel so sorry for her. She is starting to look skinny. :(

Kirty- my pup had diarrhoea from 3-8 weeks of age. She was normal size until 4weeks of age then stopped growing. She is a little stunted (about 2 inches shorter than what I would have expected) but that is about it. She stayed on as I didn't know if it would be something continual but she now has an iron gut.

Intestinal problems can crop up as they grow up when more demands are put on the dogs system- i.e.her system could fulfil the needs of a 2kg pup but not a 2.5kg pup. It could be a lack of digestive enzymes or a mechanical problem with the small intestine or some pathogen changing the environment.

She had the runs before she came here, but apparently it had only started the day I got her. She only started ABs yesterday for a different problem. And she has only vomitted once (which was tonight) just after I gave her a worm tablet. I am hoping like mad that it is nothing serious - she is such an amazing, special pup. :(

Kirty, good luck at the vets. If you can, take a stool sample with you. It may help the vet work out what is going on.

My pup was diagnosed with coccidiosis at 9 weeks and the symptoms sound similar. Although there are all sorts of reasons for diahorrea.:confused:

As fresh as possible I think :confused:

I was told to put the sample in the fridge until I could get it to the vets. From memory I collected (or scraped up really!) a sample from my pup at night for a vet appointment in the morning. And that was fine. It showed the vet the protozoa that confirmed coccidiosis in our case.:)

I got up every two hours last night with her and by 5am this morning, she was perfect again? Bouncy, playful, happy, gulping down her chicken... I cancelled the vet appointment (it was an emergency appointment) and have rescheduled for Monday. Her poops have been solid but a weird grey colour today.