Showing Bitches In Season

klink

Just a question, Should you be able to show a bitch Full in season in the conformation ring ???

You cannot trial or do obedience with an in season bitch, why should you be allowed to show ?

Unfortunately people allow their bitches to urinate around the rings, sometimes inside the rings without any thought for other exhibitors ,should this be allowed to continue?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have shown my bitch in season, but not when standing, only in the first week.

I have an entire male and have no issues with bitches in season being shown. He is trained and part of his distraction training is working around bitches in season.

He will train happily when my bitch is standing. I would prefer that people do not take bitches in season into areas that dogs are about to do obediecne in as much of their work involves using scent detection and discrimination.

I trial at country shows where you have the show rings and maybe 20 metres away you have the obedience. So while there are no inseason bitches allowed in the trial ring they will most certainly be able to smell them and know they are there. I train so it hopefully won't distract him.

So I guess I don't even think about it except for making sure he does not get close enough to an in season bitch to try and jump on her ( I keep mine well away from any unknown dogs anyway). From memory I have seen the odd in season bitch or have heard the odd person say their bitch was in season, but have found they are normally closely watched by their owners/handlers.

I personally never show my bitches in season and think those who do are a pain in the A. I have 2 well used stud dogs that are not going to be disciplined to understand that some bitches are not OK to be interested in - keeping boys keen to mate (in our softer breed) is paramount. Until they ban it, I will live with it as others do, but one of my dog goes around the ring looking like he has been thrashed - just his protest as he has other things on his mind.

I have seen these girls dripping blood on the table, weeing in the rings, flagging at the slightest touch - YUK. There are so many shows in Australia you cannot be that desperate.

I cannot understand why the owners of bitches are so determined when it is only 2 times a year to have to pull them. Makes the day unbearable for many exhibitors with ACTIVE Stud Dogs and cannot be much fun for these girls either. There is also the health risks to them too. I like the UK policy on this matter. Leave them at home.

I go to two shows a year at this point in my life, around 6 to 8 weekends previously.

These shows are held in the closest location for me - 480kms and are held twice yearly.

What happens if I travel nearly 500kms and my bitch comes in in the car on the way over??? I should just pull her????

My dog is never repremanded for taking an interest in or mounting a bitch in season, he is also extremely soft and I would never ever reprimand a stud dog. He does know however when we are out and about, we have the obedience lead on or show lead he is to focus on me and me only. It is training.

I have been in trouble for my opinion when this topic has come up before but no I don't think bitches in FULL season should be allowed to be shown.

If they are only a few days in, the dogs tend not to take much notice so that would be acceptable, but unless you are driving from Queensland to Perth you would know full well if your bitch was in before you left.

I have attempted to show my dog when the bitch in front of me for the group line-up was in season and I might as well have scratched him... It's not fair to other exhibitors.

And incase this argument comes up again, no you can't "train" a dog to ignore a bitch in season. I don't have any entire females living here so it's not like I can condition him to ignore it, nor would I want to as I plan to breed in the future.

I go to two shows a year at this point in my life, around 6 to 8 weekends previously.

These shows are held in the closest location for me - 480kms and are held twice yearly.

What happens if I travel nearly 500kms and my bitch comes in in the car on the way over??? I should just pull her????

My dog is never repremanded for taking an interest in or mounting a bitch in season, he is also extremely soft and I would never ever reprimand a stud dog. He does know however when we are out and about, we have the obedience lead on or show lead he is to focus on me and me only. It is training.

I am astounded that you only notice your girl has come in on the way to a show. My boys indicate 2 weeks leading up to the start of the event and the swelling makes it pretty obvious. :(

As I said - different strokes for different folks and people will always justify their actions. I am ready for the caning on here and frankly my care factor is zero. I would wonder how often your boy has been used as all my boys - who are used active studs (and I have had plenty after 20 years of owning, breeding and showing) would not be at their best with a bitch in season in their midst.

Just my opinion and I already have the flame suit on! I recently pulled all my dogs from a show when a competitor showed a bitch in full season - pointless exercise for me and I voted with my feet. Dragging my dog around with his head glued to the table and grass is not my idea of fun but I happily tossed away my entry money and points rather than put the dog through that.

I don't show any more but bitches in season are allowed to trial herding. My boy who, who has been used, will call of a standing in season bitch and he will still work well despite knowing they are around. I don't have entire bitches living with me.It's training and while my dog is soft he knows the difference between work and pleasure.

One of my pet hates, I think it is quite selfish. I have entire males that have been used at stud and if there is an in season bitch anywhere in the vicinity I might as well not be there. It isn't a huge issue if they are only a few days in and their owners keep them away from the other dogs as much as possible but anything over about 5/6 days should stay home in my opinion.

I don't get to many shows myself but I would still never show an in season bitch even in the early days of her season

but unless you are driving from Queensland to Perth you would know full well if your bitch was in before you left.

I am astounded that you only notice your girl has come in on the way to a show. My boys indicate 2 weeks leading up to the start of the event and the swelling makes it pretty obvious.

My male tells me from around 6 to 8 weeks out, so I know it is coming, but not exactly when. I can say she is going to come in soon, but she gets slightly swollen over the top of her Vulva for weeks before she comes in and her Vulva swells the day she comes in.

So yes I know she is due to come in and I know it will be soon, but yes I can put her in the car and think oh crap potentially. She has gone from 7 months to 10 and a half between seasons so I cannot rely on dates either to help me out. She has no noticable behavioural changes before her seasons. When she is in and immediately after yes, but not before.

Would I travel if she was in standing season? no I would leave her home and just take the boy - It is very hard to travel with two entire animals to shows when you don't want a mating so I wouldn't do it.

If she was to arrive at a show in season it would be because she was only a day in.

If it was my Dobe bitch, yes I would definately know and would have left her home. She would swell enormously around 5 days before bleeding so I knew she would start very soon.

Edited by OSoSwift

A topic that has been discussed many times .... and there is always varying opinions ...

Last week as we went into the Best in Group lineup the exhibitor in front of me let me know

her bitch was in season ... I was grateful for the advice ... we left plenty of room between

us and knowing that info I did my best to keep the dogs attention ...

Yes, I agree some dogs not going to cope well with it (been there...)

Out of interest I have never shown my current bitch in season and my Dobe bitch was once 3 days into her season and I did show her once.

When I showed a male Dobe for a brief time he was always firing on all cylinders and looking a million bucks when there was a girl around in season, kinda like a stallion strutting his stuff to the other males. Never pulled to sniff and stacked well and I didn't own him but knew him quite well.

Edited by OSoSwift

Just a question, Should you be able to show a bitch Full in season in the conformation ring ???

You cannot trial or do obedience with an in season bitch, why should you be allowed to show ?

Unfortunately people allow their bitches to urinate around the rings, sometimes inside the rings without any thought for other exhibitors ,should this be allowed to continue?

Unfortunately people allow their dogs to urinate around the rings, soemtimes on other peoples gazebo's, chairs, trolleys, cars etc should this be allowed to continue?

I have and will do so again, until they make rules against it then bitches in season will be shown whether people agree with it or not.

Dogs in the obedience ring have to perform off lead and do complex exercises sometimes up to 10 minutes, with showing "your" time lasts about a minute.

I have and will do so again, until they make rules against it then bitches in season will be shown whether people agree with it or not.

Dogs in the obedience ring have to perform off lead and do complex exercises sometimes up to 10 minutes, with showing "your" time lasts about a minute.

But the dogs still have to be able to perform whether it be 10 minutes or 1 minute. We only get a minute and a half to make an impression, a dog with it's nose on the ground or going hypo over outside smells doesn't go down well. I don't see any difference between conformation or agility/obedience/etc.

I do but each to their own, I don't consider trotting around the ring and standing while a judge goes over them on equal footing to doing a long heel pattern and scent discrimination exercises.

Anyway isn't showing about entire dogs and bitches? Seems a bit ironic to ban something that distinguishes an entire bitch from a desexed bitch.

It is quite easy to see why the dog world can never be united in any subject other than ones' own self interest when comments are made that show an obvious disregard for fellow exhibitors. I can only begin to imagine the uproar if I took my full in season bitch onto a ground being used for obedience etc.

Apart from the obvious problems caused by both actions I would like to think that we would all show some consideration to fellow dog people. Then maybe Ive' been bought up wrong.

Something that we're never going to agree on, we have one of these threads about every 6 months. I think it comes down to good manners and caring about your bitch.

I will show at either end of a season IF the show is important enough - if I do that I toilet the bitch well away from the rings and warn the judge and anyone lining up behind me. I have a speciality coming up and one bitch will be on day 15 on the day of the speciality. I'm really disappointed, but I am not going to take her a long trip in the trailer with my males, and then into a show ring in what will be standing season. That would be unfair on her, the males, some of the females, the judge, and the exhibitors.

I think the talent some bitches have for coming into season right on specialities, important trials, when your prospective stud dog's owner is away, etc etc should be the subject of a scientific study :rofl:

I guess for me I don't really do it, once in very early season, but as the owner of a male I don't really think about or care that others do show their bitches in season.

Obedience is VERY different to showing and what the dog is required to do is very different so I agree with no in season bitches for obedience.

It is quite easy to see why the dog world can never be united in any subject other than ones' own self interest when comments are made that show an obvious disregard for fellow exhibitors. I can only begin to imagine the uproar if I took my full in season bitch onto a ground being used for obedience etc.

Apart from the obvious problems caused by both actions I would like to think that we would all show some consideration to fellow dog people. Then maybe Ive' been bought up wrong.

Well at the Royals the obedience/agility dogs are usually seated where the conformation dogs were in the previous days and I saw people toilet their dogs in the obedience area, they actually moved the fencing put there to stop people doing so (some where in season too)........I never read about any uproar or bitching from triallers about lack of consideration from exhibitors. The only people who seem to whinge about bitches in season are exhibitors themselves.

I showed my bitch at this years Royal, I very rarely get to attend the Royal so wanted to go this year, my bitch happened to come into season the week before we were meant to show. I let everyone know around me she was in season and guess what? Everyone was fine with it and no dogs carried on like pork chops.

I would still like to know why people want to ban the one thing that shows that a bitch is entire and able to be bred when the whole point behind showing is too "better the breed"?

Edited by tollersowned

Also there is an opportunity for desexed animals to compete for the major titles in obedience. This is not the case with showing. So why should people that are forced to keep their bitches entire to compete be penalised for that same fact? People have the choice in obedience so I am not concerned about there being a limitation.