Are Tick Collars Any Good?

fuzzy82

I was at the vet the other day for Obi's vaccination, and while we were there she told me they're expecting a really bad tick year, so she talked me into buying two tick collars. I don't really like them, never have, so my dogs have never worn them before.

They look ugly, and I'm constantly taking Obi's off and putting it back on because he gets wet and filthy several times a week. Yesterday he rolled in poo while wearing it, and some went on the collar. I only got the collar a few days ago and I don't feel like buying a new one.

I did some googling and found a site that says tick collars don't really work and can be toxic, and the vet said I still have to check him for ticks every day anyway.

So just wondering, do your dogs wear them, and is there any point in having them wear them?

You are better off using frontline , advantix or permoxin .

I have found ticks under tick collars.

remember to apply frontline or advantix every 2 weeks for ticks.

Permoxin is fortnightly but if they swim re apply.

IMO the best tick control product is frontline spray- however you must wet the entire dog, it lasts 3 weeks for ticks :thumbsup:

ETA No tick prevention is 100% effective , however you dog is more likely to survive if it has some form of prevention on.

Edited by sheree_e4

Tick collars work fair to decently unless they are getting wet a lot. The more the collar gets wet, the faster the powder wears out. They are not my favourite means of tick prevention, I prefer the spot ons, since collars are unsightly, my dog swims and gets wet every day, and the powder does not always distribute evenly.

Can't really comment but just wanted to point out some friends of mine pulled a paralysis tick off their 8 mo Cav this morning. They get trick treatments, tick off in the their water and he had a tick bath only 36 hours ago, so please please check your dogs over every day no matter what prevention you use.

When we used to live in a house that backed onto the bush at one stage, and Riley would come inside and I could see the ticks crawling on him. I used to use frontline every 2 weeks, and have a tick collar on him as well. I found the tick collar worked well with the frontline.

Now we aren't so close to the bush I just use the frontline.

I am extremely happy with how the tick collars work with my dogs and have been using them for about 8 years. I have not found a live tick on any of them , as long as they are wearing thei collars. Unfortunately, the collars are not effectve if left on the cupboard ($440 in vet fees later)

My vet has recommended both advantix and a tick collar because the season is so bad for them.

The girls are on proban until my supplies run out (vet hates it, but I know it works), then they will go onto the same regime.

Just need to make sure that the cats don't get near the advantix - it is as effective for them as it is for ticks.

Also - there isn't much point in putting the spot ons on a clean dog apparently. The way they work means that the dog needs some dirt on it for the poison to spread across the body. I'm sure someone else can explain better than I can - just what my vet told me.

I am very happy with the tick collars, have been using them for 8-9 years in a multiple dog household. We live in a high tick area and back on to bushland. Pre tick collars I used a variety of top-spots as per manufacturers directives - still found ticks attached to the dogs, before the top-spots I used Proban for many years and found high numbers of ticks on the dog I had back then.

We visit the beach 5-7 times a week and the dogs go for a swim or a play in the water. Collars still "work".

Since using the collars I have never found a tick attached to any of my dogs, ticks crawling over them but not attached. The collars might be a bit unattractive but I think a tick sick dog is even more unattractive :) not to mention a death caused by paralysis tick/s.

My MIL's dog had a paralysis tick attached about three weeks ago, she uses advantix on her. Thankfully after a night at the emergency vet she is fine. The vet there said to use advantix and the Preventic collar. I think I may do this for my girl even though she doesn't wear collars unless we are out.

I was replacing the tick collars ever 2 - 3 weeks ... and three days after a new collar when on we found a tick right beside the collar.

We were using Frontline then moved to Advantix ... and still we got ticks. Nearly lost our older boy to a tick (an a $1,000 vet bill) - we were using Advantix (applied 4 days before) and a preventic collar (less then a week old).

We now use Permoxin. The dogs get sprayed before they leave the yard and when they get home again. If they are going into a tick area (for work) then they may get sprayed again while at work.